Vogue Australia December 2018 : Adut Akech by Charlie Dennington

Stunning!!! One of the best Vogue covers in a while!

It's a beautiful cover like many of you have said :wub: LOOK AT THAT CUTIE PIE, AKOUL :crush::crush::crush::crush:

I don't mind the flowers collage; the focus of the shot is still Adut and Akoul for me and I think the flowers lends nice colour that works well with the rest of the shot.

Adut Akech

Photographer: Charlie Dennington
Stylist: Jillian Davison
Cast: Adut, her siblings Kim, Akiir, Bior, Yar, Akoul, mum Mary, and best friend Brianna Lang

6GajpHd5_t.jpg
3RW5vz8I_t.jpg
zU15ftuW_t.jpg

aYcq8oSY_t.jpg

Vogue Australia Website

I wondered why the shoot seemed so much more personal, compared to Lupita Nyongo's Kenyan story for Vogue, for instance. According to Adut the team basically spent 4 days with her family in their home, possibly exploring every shot instead of outlining everything ahead. So glad there's not a cliched African print or headscarf to be seen in this edit. I'm pretty satisfied with the result because it shows the integration of her family in Australia. It's something new and different for Vogue Australia, and Edwina seems intent on walking the walk.

Next up should be Charlee Fraser! I'd love to see a similar exercise showing her life in Australia.

I absolutely love the the main edit. Absolutely beautiful. It has some fashion and fun yet it is personal and heartwarming. The blanket fort set design is really fun. This also showcases her modelling skills too.

This is so good. So great to see Vogue Australia join the bandwagon and give Adut a cover in her home country. I was wondering if it would ever happen. Kudos to Edwina and team.

This is a significant move in Australia where editors and publishers are led by consumers who still expect to see ethnic variations of the beach girl archtype. Unfortunately even more so than other comparable Western countries, there is an under representation of non-whites in all media and racism in beauty standards are prevalent.

Ironically, Australia is the home of many internationally successful models of African descent in recent years, who have gained international recognition faster and more frequently than their non-African counterparts on the global stage.

This is a significant move in Australia where editors and publishers are led by consumers who still expect to see ethnic variations of the beach girl archtype.

That's what I meant when I said it will stand out on the Australian newsstand, and for all the right reasons. And I agree with @mikel too, cute that they've added her bestie to the lineup. It makes the story seem all the more real.

This is the best I've seen from Vogue Australia, ever! Absolutely lovely. I echo everyone's sentiment regarding her best friend, it adds a much more deep understanding of her as an individual. Love it!

There's another editorial with Mayowa Nicholas photographed by Sharif Hamza and styled by Natasha Ryot (14 pages) and a reprint from Vogue Spain (Hilary Rhoda and Akiima by Alexi Lubomirski)

Vogue Viewpoint: Hit Escape

Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Phillipa Moroney
Hair: Koh
Makeup: Victoria Baron
Cast: Georgia Fowler

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

A New Day

Photographer: Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Natasha Royt
Hair: Shingo Shibata
Makeup: Benjamin Puckey