Vogue Australia May 2008 : Sasha Pivovarova by Mario Sorrenti

From Vogue China? Maybe in the near future, they'd be reprinting from the cover of Vogue India. That could happen one day.:doh: But yeah, from doing an original cover and moving to a reprint? Gosh...They should start using their Aussie models more and more on the covers if they're running out of ideas...Australia's got a lot of talented models...Abbey Lee, Tallulah Morton, Skye Stracke, Alexandra Agoston, Alice Burdeu (well no need for her since she already did one before), Stephanie Carta, Vanessa Milde, Katie B., etc. They should start using them more and more even if the covers were to suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
But yeah, from doing an original cover and moving to a reprint?

It's been like that for a long time now :( - they do a really good cover (read: non-reprint & a model) and get us all very excited, then disappointed all over again when the next month is a reprint.

How high is the budget of Australian Vogue? Like, dramatically low? Or is it something else that causes them to use reprints almost always?

I noticed from Vogue Greece that it is possible for a magazine to use reprints and still be original, because what it used to do was use an editorial image from, say, US Vogue as its cover, and with some artful text placement, make it work. So the image itself was familiar, but it was put into a new context - and whoever was doing the choosing, seemed to know what edit images would have impact as covers.

I think someone said in the Vogue Aussie thread that the budget wasn't great for the magazine. But the question to ask is: how much does the cover sell the rest of the magazine? Is it worth earmarking money to produce your own fresh output - does a 'homegrown' image sell better to the market? Or does Australia not care that much for the sight of its own models on the front of its magazines?

I noticed from Vogue Greece that it is possible for a magazine to use reprints and still be original, because what it used to do was use an editorial image from, say, US Vogue as its cover, and with some artful text placement, make it work. So the image itself was familiar, but it was put into a new context - and whoever was doing the choosing, seemed to know what edit images would have impact as covers.

i agree with you . i think for a vogue it would be a huge disappointment that reprint the exactly same cover from another version.then there is no point !
and who would do that. i mean everyone loves fresh image right? even its reprint at least change alit bit.

Reprint! But it dosent bother me at all. Great cover;
It does actually look a lot like VOGUE UK
Sasha looks great.

It's a good cover, even if it's a reprint! Even though I don't buy the mag anymore, I'm giving Vogue Australia kudos for giving us a breather from all the celebrity reprint covers they were churning out a while ago...

i do love jil sander lol so at least there is that but i'm kinda sad this is a reprint :(

i like this cover.. but its a re-print. WHY vogue Australia don't chance this and start to make diferent covers??

How high is the budget of Australian Vogue? Like, dramatically low? Or is it something else that causes them to use reprints almost always?

Lazy editors? Lack of motivation? I'm not sure myself. It's a bizarre thing for any magazine to do.

They could have at least changed the color of the text. if that doesn't show laziness, I don't know what does....

When I saw this cover at the supermarket, I got a bit excited and picked it up, declaring that I *WOULD* buy it.
My sister and I flipped thru it, but it was kinda boring inside. Plus, I didn't see any Sasha anything *inside*, which was disappointing.

It's a shame. I wouldn't waste $8 on what is essentially a Sasha cover with what equates to the same sort of quality editorials as what you get FREE on a Sunday, in the Telegraph's Sunday Magazine.

The Chloe ads were about the only highlight, outside of a pretty cover. :(

It's so exciting that they reprint the cover from Vogue China!:woot:
Maybe next month from Vogue India...:shifty:

They should start using their Aussie models more and more on the covers if they're running out of ideas...Australia's got a lot of talented models...Abbey Lee, Tallulah Morton, Skye Stracke, Alexandra Agoston, Alice Burdeu (well no need for her since she already did one before), Stephanie Carta, Vanessa Milde, Katie B., etc. They should start using them more and more even if the covers were to suck.

I think Vogue see Aussie models as just filler models—not worthy of a cover—until they make it big overseas, then they want them.

Which really frustrates me because I want to see Aussie up-and-comers on the cover. But then in another sense, as much as I hate to admit it, I can definitely understand, from a 'selling' point, why they choose reprints of known models/celebs over original, yet unknown, Aussie models. I just wish they didn't do it so often :doh:

Apparently Alice, Skye, Stephanie, maybe more, have shot an upcoming ed for the magazine while they were in Paris....hopefully one or more will grace the cover too :heart:

Or is their ed in this one?! :unsure: I haven't had a chance to look through this issue yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->