Vogue Australia September 2009 : Cate Blanchett by David Downton

rox_yr_sox

less is more
Reaction score
Available on August the 5th:

cate.jpg

Vogue at 50 goes to town with Cate Blanchett

CAPTURED in the exquisite brush strokes of London fashion illustrator David Downton, Cate Blanchett graces not one but four different covers of Vogue marking the magazine's 50th anniversary in Australia.

"I could have got (Mario) Testino or (Patrick) Demarchelier to shoot her, but when we came up with the idea of David the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I knew Cate would love it," Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements said.
That she did. Blanchett was last night the star guest at a party celebrating 50 years of Vogue in Australia at Fox Studios in Sydney. The event was co-hosted by News Magazines chief executive Sandra Hook and News Limited chairman and chief executive John Hartigan. News Limited also publishes The Weekend Australian.

"Cate's agent said she'd never heard her say yes to a project so fast, and Cate nominated in that minute Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Martin Grant and Armani as the designers she would like to wear, so that's what we did," Clements said.

In a single day at London's Dorchester Hotel, Downton captured the actress in four separate poses wearing looks by the designers for the quartet of covers for the September issue of Australian Vogue, which arrives in newsagencies on Wednesday.
"Cate is classy, gracious, beautiful and intelligent; everything she stands for embodies the values of Australian Vogue," Clements said.
An early birthday present for the magazine, which in the spring of 1959 joined its French, British and American cousins as the fourth Vogue title and is now owned by News Magazines, is believed to be a record $1.2 million in advertising in the September issue.

"It was the most (advertising) business that Australian Vogue has ever written, which is particularly good considering the current economic climate," Clements said.

The figures defy the global trend for September fashion magazines, which are traditionally the most ad-rich but according to industry bible Women's Wear Daily this year will drop with a whisper rather than a thud due to the economic downturn.

Conde Nast titles posted ad page declines from 17 per cent at Teen Vogue to 47 per cent at W Magazine, while Harper's Bazaar in the US will report a 26 per cent drop in ad pages, and US Elle saw ad pages fall 21 per cent, according to a report in WWD last week.

A shoot with Australian models of the moment, Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw, 10 specially commissioned "Aussie cossies" from international designers including Karl Lagerfeld, John Galliano and Ralph Lauren, and a story celebrating the great moments of Australian fashion comprise just some of the content within Australian Vogue's 368 pages for September.
Cedar Boys star Rachael Taylor, fashion designer Collette Dinnigan and director Gillian Armstrong were among the other guests at last night's bash for 650 people.

Vogue Australia will also celebrate its 50th anniversary with the publication of In Vogue: 50 Years of Australian Style, in bookstores on September 1.

theaustralian.news.com.au
and my scan from The Australian August 1-2 Edition

Wow absolutely gorgeous illustration! I might have to pick up a copy and its been a long time since I bought vogue australia. Thanks rox_yr_sox ^_^

Wow!. :woot::heart::bounce:
What a thrilling and bold idea for a september cover, I would've never imagined this coming from Vogue Australia but it's absolutely amazing, finally another big score for the illustrators' world.. and Downton couldn't be more appropriate, he has the grace and skills to capture beautiful & smart women like Cate so accurately.. gorgeous stuff.. may the september bankruptcy begin. :P

I especially love the latest two covers:heart:

Can't wait to receive it! Man, September AND 50th anniversary issue. I won't miss it!

Preview - Vogue Australia September 2009 - ph: Greg Kadel

1309525457_orig_1.jpg

1174046500_orig_3.jpg

1328922736_orig_2.jpg

models.com via pajonk. posted by Filipe in Abbey's thread

That they chose to go with the idea of illustration, get someone as good as David to do it, and then offer a choice of four covers is great. I think I'd go for the second one.

Pierced nipples must be like pencil cases at school, in that if your friend gets one, you have to get the same one too, and be best friends forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!. :woot::heart::bounce:
What a thrilling and bold idea for a september cover, I would've never imagined this coming from Vogue Australia but it's absolutely amazing, finally another big score for the illustrators' world.. and Downton couldn't be more appropriate, he has the grace and skills to capture beautiful & smart women like Cate so accurately.. gorgeous stuff.. may the september bankruptcy begin. :P

Oh, let it be so....lack of funds opens the gates of creativity....It wouldn't be the first time either ^_^

oh my good god for the first time ever, i'm seriously BUZZING with excitement for the Vogue Aus issue! Cover, contents - all looks AMAZING!

Amazing covers, Cate is the perfect choice for this idea I want to collect them all:D, also the ed preview looks amazing:heart:, the pics of Abbey and Cat together is just wow...

Wow, fantastic!!! I loved the one she's wearing Balenciaga.
Kadel's ed also seems good.

Pierced nipples must be like pencil cases at school, in that if your friend gets one, you have to get the same one too, and be best friends forever.
I'm dying right now OMG :rofl::rofl::rofl:

this is such a great idea and Cate is an excellent choice. the third cover is my favorite. and Cat and Abbey's ed looks very promising

I love the concept of the cover. I just wish they used models instead of Cate.

:buzz: I've been looking forward to this magazine for so long. That ed with abbey and cat looks great and now I have the dilemma of which cover should I go and get.

this is incredible, i want them all, i probably will buy them all. amazing.

:shock: I have died and gone to heaven. Blanchett and Downton? An exquisite pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->