Vogue China January 2023 : Fei Fei Sun by Nick Yang

nice to see how Vogue China supports Chinese models, esp this case of Feifei, who has ben absent from runway and ads for like two years for her new baby. It seems like a Vogue China traditional to help their own models. Model Du Juan's career won't be successful without Vogue China's support.

Sometimes I just don't get it why Vogue Japan and Vogue Korea are less supportive to Japnese and Korean models..Could be the culture factors?

Sometimes I just don't get it why Vogue Japan and Vogue Korea are less supportive to Japnese and Korean models..Could be the culture factors?

I remember someone explaining that at least in the case of Vogue Japan, when it was still Vogue Nippon, that there were plenty of Japanese fashion magazines with Japanese models and Vogue was a bit of a novelty? I could be wrong though, but that's I remember how it being explained way back then.

This cover was sponsored by Prada to promote their jewelry line, so far I am not impressed at all...

I’m happy to see her. This is a bit bland for me. But her stare is hypnotic.

Vogue Korea features a lot of Korean models and entertainers. Perhaps less lately since they have a huge passion for idols in Korea but nevertheless in their history they have lots and lots of Korean models on their covers. They also love to feature international models too which is way more blatant with Vogue Japan.

Back then, even with Vogue China and Vogue India when they both launched it was more than a trend, it was necessary to feature international top models, like the big 4 Vogue, because it used to represent a standard for quality and that top photographers were shooting these top international models. Over the years Vogue China, Vogue Korea, Vogue India helped support way more their own models, but Vogue Japan, no. They may have in their entire history perhaps less than 6 Japanese models on their covers which is crazyyyy.

Photographer: Nick Yang
Creative Director: Matt McDonald
Stylist: Vivienne Sun
Model: Feifei Sun
Hair: John Zhang
Makeup: Yooyo Keong Ming
Nails: NaNa
Set Design: Sisi Zou

pmAHehgP_t.jpg
r09MPgsM_t.jpg
MQ7Gr34B_t.jpg

weibo.com/voguechina

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the cover/editorial but it's undeniable that she's a great model. Would love to see her work with Meisel again. Also, I wonder how limited the shoot was with the China lockdowns.

Love ❤️
Reminds me of Tindi Mar for Vogue Mexico Nov 21

CC1D7E4A-B69A-45E0-83D6-54121EA8003A.jpeg
source: fashionotography.com

Absolutely sublime! Easily one of my favorite covers/editorials from the new Vogue China. Fei Fei has always been very dear to me, her beauty and versatility are outstanding and I'm very pleased to see her again. This story takes me back to the days of Mario Testino, which is another big plus in my books! I'd really love to get my hands on this issue.

I really like the cover. So chic. And Feifei looks beautiful. The only thing is I wish she found more light (as Tyra would say).

stunning. love it all. a must have definitely.

I love that cover - great example of what a photographer and model can do to elevate or mitigate the blah-ness of even those Prada logoes things. Fei Fei was always my favourite of the Chinese models though, so I admit I may be biased.

As much as I’d loved to see Fei Fei printed everywhere before I suddenly realise the power of being absent from the scene and how much impact this has now that she’s back. I’ve missed her dearly and this brought me to tears, a lovely surprise gift for the new year. Like they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder and this is definitely one of those cases for me personally

Like Liu Wen and Imaan, Feifei carries any story on her own sheer force of will and untouchable beauty. And unfortunately, the story is sort of a directionless mess that doesn’t know where it wants o go, or what tone to set-- and she has to carry it all on her own LOL Some solid shots that are on the tip of classic American Vogue Horst. But that it starts out strong enough with the Balenciaga sharp, graphic, industrial sleekness; then meanders into a more pedestrian bridal softness (local designer?); then a random portrait with suds LOL; and ending in classic Horst’s American Vogue… is the equivalent of convincing your reader that the local department-store’s catalogue shoved into Franca’s Vogue is really a part of it.

(BTW, who knows what’s going on with Japan— even Yohji and Comme has never supported Japanese models. But Koreans and the Chinese have always advocated for their own models. Korean Vogue/ELLE/Bazaar not only full cast Korean models, but they consistently than not produce gorgeous stories, full of mood and cinematic allure. And their pagecounts often run above 300pages. Didn’t Angelica say that when Vogue China first appeared, the Western photographers didn’t want to asscaoite with it— seeing it as inferior to Western Vogues? That whiff of discrimination is still prevalent in most Western Vogues and their likes; despite the tiresome droning of “inclusivity/diversity/representation", these rags have yet to cast a sole Asian model for their covers, especially the most supposedly “progressive” of the lot: American/UK/France/Italia.)

LOOOOOOVE this coverstory !!! Beyond gorgeous : of course China :smile: fab !

Damn, she looks as gorgeous as always. Stunning queen who always delivers. She's an excellent model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->