Vogue Czechoslovakia Coming August 2018

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
I saw this on Karolina Kurkova's IG, wondering whether she's gonna be the first cover model or part of the editorial team. Either way, the teasers on their pages are exciting.

PRAGUE, Czech Republic — Condé Nast International (CNI) is launching Vogue in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Published under a license agreement with V24 Media, the inaugural Czech print edition will debut in August this year with the September issue, alongside a digital platform.

The print magazine will be Editpublished in Czech (allowing for both Czech and Slovakian consumers to read the magazine) and the majority of revenues will supposedly come from print, but "events will also be a strong source of revenues," Karina Dobrotvorskaya, president and editorial director, brand development at CNI, told BoF. While V24 Media co-founders Michaela Seewald and Fabrice Biundo will spearhead the strategic vision for the magazine, key editorial appointments are yet to be confirmed.

The announcement closely follows the launch of Vogue Poland, which debuted earlier this month with its March issue. The Czech Republic and Slovakia edition will be the title's 24th.

The economy of the region is stable and all the ingredients and market dynamics are in place.

"There's a strong appetite for luxury fashion and beauty," CNI chairman and chief executive Jonathan Newhouse said in a statement. "The Czech Republic and Slovakia is a dynamic market with a huge appetite for luxury goods and an interesting and thriving fashion scene," added Dobrotvorskaya. "The economy of the region is stable and all the ingredients and market dynamics are in place. It is the right approach to launch Vogue Czech Republic and Slovakia after Vogue Poland."

Certainly, the prospects in the market are promising. BMI expects the Czech Republic's GDP to grow 3.3 percent this year, while noting that incomes and household spending patterns are aligning more and more with Western European markets. The benefit is falling to retail sales, with BMI reporting that consumers are spending more of their household earnings on premium goods. Credit Suisse's 2017 Global Wealth Report identified the Czech Republic as a "notable case of emerging wealth," with the number of high net worth individuals "predicted to rise substantially over the next five years." This is significant for the growth of a media brand like Vogue, as traditionally its advertisers consist mostly of luxury brands.

The country boasts a large manufacturing sector too, which has bolstered job creation and wages over the past three years — fashion-focused manufactures include Elega and Tonak, which produce premium leather bags and hats respectively. "It is quite lucky in connection with manufacturing [because] they have CzechInvest," explained Hungarian-based fashion journalist Emese Dobos-Nagy. CzechInvest, a government agency that helps domestic manufacturers connect with foreign business partners and provides capital investment, could help as well, says Dobos-Nagy. "In Hungary, the companies are so alone. The situation is so much better in the Czech Republic."

And while growth in the region's footwear and apparel market is modest — currently valued at $2.77 billion, it is expected to reach $3.03 billion by 2022 according to Euromonitor International — Vogue is arriving at a time when the appetite for luxury is rising. "We feel it is the right moment in terms of the maturity of its fashion market. Consumers have been waiting for a luxury publication to reflect this maturity," said Dobrotvorskaya.

It is the right moment in terms of the maturity of its fashion market. Consumers have been waiting for a luxury publication.

The Czech Republic is also home to a dynamic design scene, with Prague Fashion Week — launched in 2010, with Mercedes-Benz signing on as a principal partner in 2013 — helping to give home-grown talent more visibility. Prague-based fashion journalist and editor Kateřina Čuprová says up-and-coming brands that are gaining wider traction include Laformela and Chatty, as well as local industry favourite Jakub Polanka.

This is something on which the new Vogue edition hopes to capitalise. "My vision for Vogue Czech Republic and Slovakia is to provide a platform for local fashion designers and artists to present their own unique style and approach that is inevitably a reflection of contemporary Czech and Slovak culture," said Michaela Seewald, co-founder and director of V24 Media, in a statement. "I am convinced that the talent here has the potential to have material impact on the fashion world."

And while the Czech edition of Vogue is launching into a media market where global fashion magazine rivals have been present for over two decades — Elle launched in the region in 1994, while Harper's Bazaar arrived two years later in 1996 — the Vogue name does evoke prestige and authority. "Vogue is the fashion bible," asserted Dobrotvorskaya. "Historically, Vogue launching into a new market strengthens the fashion landscape."

Last edited by a moderator:
That Anna Wintour voice is AUTHORITATIVE and haunting. Its like a mother advising her daughter. Gave me chills honestly.

However, that logo is TRAGIC. They couldn't get a more sophisticated font for "CS"? Its looks like the one used for Adobe Photoshop CS. They could have used a condensed font. We now have UA for Vogue Ukraine, now we have to endure "CS" in that awful font? Might as well all Vogues change to FR, RU, UK ++

It would definitely make sense for them to have Karolina as their first cover model - her or another iconic Czech model (Eva H, perhaps).

But I could also see KK as having contributed to the editorial content in a behind-the-scenes way instead and perhaps they go for a less established, more of-the-moment model to premiere their magazine.

That's definitely Anna Wintour. It's an excerpt from her speech to students at York University from 2016.

Very random. Is Czech people are really that interested in fashion?I dont know what to think and Im not excited like I was for Vogue Poland. Lets see.

What is the plan here? The magazines business is not doing well, so lets just lunch a bunch of new titles and see what happens?

fingers crossed we'd better not be getting another Vogue Ukraine/Portugal/Poland

Very random. Is Czech people are really that interested in fashion?I dont know what to think and Im not excited like I was for Vogue Poland. Lets see.

What is the plan here? The magazines business is not doing well, so lets just lunch a bunch of new titles and see what happens?

Well, the same question can be asked about, for example, USA. Do people outside LA and NYC read fashion magazines? Of course they do, and of course, not everyone. CZ and SK have a developed magazine culture, with Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan among others being present in the market. I can personally notice that there is a need (or at least a space) for new magazines in some countries (mostly in rising economies in Central and Eastern Europe, Western Asia..), like Vogue in Poland and Czech R and Marie Claire in Serbia too. Also, forget not that the readership doesn't play the most important role in magazine business - it's the ad revenue, and if a publishing house can foresee a financial success in terms of advertising, then why not launch a new magazine.

it's called Vogue Czechoslovakia not Vogue Czech Republic

Hahahaha, are you serious? My gran referred to the region as that once and everyone went into meltdown mode over how 'oudated and demeaning' it was.
At least they've stopped trying to make Czechia happen.

However, that logo is TRAGIC. They couldn't get a more sophisticated font for "CS"? Its looks like the one used for Adobe Photoshop CS. They could have used a condensed font. We now have UA for Vogue Ukraine, now we have to endure "CS" in that awful font? Might as well all Vogues change to FR, RU, UK ++

Wont lie I also thought of Photoshop first time I saw Vogue CS

I would be excited if the new launch were for a Latin American country. Colombia or Chile deserve something better than Vogue Mexico's reprints.

Well, that's certainly a new way for fashion magazines to pay homage to the past.

I keenly await the publication of Vogue Prussia.

Yes, it makes no sense at all. Vogue Yugoslavia might be next, ha!

To be honest, I'm not holding my breath to see the first issue. They basically hired everyone from Czech Elle, and the promo videos they've released so far are underwhelming at best.

Meaning its not Vogue CS?
CS was used as abbreviation for Czechoslovakia, whereas CZ now stands for Czech Republic and SK for Slovakia. But yes, it is tragic. I would have preferred the full name underneath or inside the O in condensed font or something as well.

Publishing a magazine covering both countries absolutely makes sense as there are tons of Slovak creatives active in Prague and the same applies to the general demographic make-up. Also, 1918 marks the 100th anniversary of the country's independence so I guess they're indeed paying homage to that in a way. And to answer the questions what's the point of launching this edition - well, when it's mostly down to somebody's will to buy the licence and enough advertising opportunities, why the f not.

Note to moderators: There's already a thread for CS Vogue launch I'd started a while ago. :innocent:

Well, I certainly don't forsee them lasting very long as it seems the launch of this magazine is more of a measure to assert questionable prestige. Dual country or not. It already looks like they'll go the same way as Poland, Ukraine and Portugal in terms of look which of course is all the rage right now. What happens when that direction fall out of favour with the public at large? What will they adopt then? Portugal can at least fall back to it's old commercial audience which built the magazine to its current state. But the others quite frankly will fall like a house of cards.

And the thinking of 'I can afford it, so I'll have it' is bollocks. Princess Deena had to jump through hoops to get the Arabian edition off the ground, and that's with her region's immense role in fashion commerce. I've read somewhere that same applies to two African publishing groups as well. So it's not a matter of either 'money' or ' a platform to showcase creativity.' There are 10 European Vogue editions for them to do so. And as it is Vogue Portugal is already the playground for creatives from that region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muggins1265
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"