Vogue Czechoslovakia Coming August 2018

Well, I certainly don't forsee them lasting very long as it seems the launch of this magazine is more of a measure to assert questionable prestige. Dual country or not. It already looks like they'll go the same way as Poland, Ukraine and Portugal in terms of look which of course is all the rage right now. What happens when that direction fall out of favour with the public at large? What will they adopt then? Portugal can at least fall back to it's old commercial audience which built the magazine to its current state. But the others quite frankly will fall like a house of cards.

And the thinking of 'I can afford it, so I'll have it' is bollocks. Princess Deena had to jump through hoops to get the Arabian edition off the ground, and that's with her region's immense role in fashion commerce. I've read somewhere that same applies to two African publishing groups as well. So it's not a matter of either 'money' or ' a platform to showcase creativity.' There are 10 European Vogue editions for them to do so. And as it is Vogue Portugal is already the playground for creatives from that region.
Well, what I posted is also something I'd read somewhere. :rolleyes: Of course it's not just about money, but a lot of effort in negotiating and building a relationship with Condé Nast folks.

I've recently flipped through the latest issue of Polish Vogue and I actually liked it, even though the previews here on tFS left me really uninterested, to put it mildly. Artistically, it was WAY better than German, UK and even Italian Vogue, the latter of which has literally ALWAYS been sh*t if you did not count Meisel's and other main editorials.

Anyhow, I sense a multi-girl tricolour cover. Daniela Kocianova would be amazing.

Why? They all look the same anyway. I don't see how Czech Republic or any other european country no one ever heard of deserves its own edition of Vogue before any african country. There sure is culture and some historical background (although quite boring honestly) to be explored through these editions but we all know that it's not gonna happen. Instead we'll get another round of tumblr aesthetic, sweatpants, unflattering, baggy, cheap looking garments with stripes on the sides and models that don't have a single quality of a model trying to be artsy and cool but coming out rather embarrassing. :sick:

Well, I certainly don't forsee them lasting very long as it seems the launch of this magazine is more of a measure to assert questionable prestige.

Knowing the people behind the magazine, that is very much the case.

The question is whether Conde Nast would allow an edition to fold? Is it even possible to "close" a Vogue?!

I would be excited if the new launch were for a Latin American country. Colombia or Chile deserve something better than Vogue Mexico's reprints.

Well, Colombia got his own Esquire edition... full of reprints... and doesn't worked

Well, Colombia got his own Esquire edition... full of reprints... and doesn't worked
In particular case of Harper's Bazaar and Esquire in Latin America, Editorial Televisa -a mexican "empire"- bought the rights of both publications and is in financial crisis or something like that. They have the same EIC running 3 o 4 magazines and the same cover star photographed by Carlos Ruizc -the winner of a contestant they made 2 years ago- in 3 different locations.

The question is whether Conde Nast would allow an edition to fold? Is it even possible to "close" a Vogue?!
And Vogue Greece folded a couple of years ago at the height of the economic crisis there.

Vogue Greece and Vogue Argentina are close tol

Hahahaha, are you serious? My gran referred to the region as that once and everyone went into meltdown mode over how 'oudated and demeaning' it was.
At least they've stopped trying to make Czechia happen.

they think it's appropriate since it caters to readers of 2 countries. i don't know. Maybe we've got a Vogue Soviet coming

I was very skeptical when I first heard about this edition, I don't feel like we really need Vogue in this region but reading all this hate on tfs makes me cheer for the magazine actually :lol:

We (people from the country no one ever heard of lol) have so many talented individuals so I'm glad there's a possibility their work might be exposed to more international audience through Vogue. I'm surprised they called it Vogue Czechoslovakia to be honest. There have been this trend to call everything czechoslovakian in the last couple of years, from tv shows to magazines apparently.

I wonder how it will sell because I know many people from both countries who buy foreign Vogues just because it's Vogue, they cannot afford the clothes in it but they can afford the magazine. I just hope they will give a cover to Michal Pudelka in the future.

I was very skeptical when I first heard about this edition, I don't feel like we really need Vogue in this region but reading all this hate on tfs makes me cheer for the magazine actually :lol:

We (people from the country no one ever heard of lol) have so many talented individuals so I'm glad there's a possibility their work might be exposed to more international audience through Vogue.

I understand your point and I wish that was the case, but first, the team behind Vogue had the opportunity to elevate the many local talents through Elle and other publications, yet they completely resigned to do so and kept on churning one commercial issue after another. Secondly, while the Vogue brand is global, it's not a guarantor of global audience or impact – most Vogue editions are blatantly provincial and have no influence at all.

So when's Vogue Africa coming out? Or will every country in Europe get a version before that? We'll probably see Irish Vogue next.

We (people from the country no one ever heard of lol) have so many talented individuals so I'm glad there's a possibility their work might be exposed to more international audience through Vogue.

I'm surprised they called it Vogue Czechoslovakia to be honest. There have been this trend to call everything czechoslovakian in the last couple of years, from tv shows to magazines apparently.

Lol, well one could argue that what you're hoping for is currently happening at Vogue Portugal, at least. Kind of like the same way Vogue Japan is being run via Italy. So it's not like 'Czechoslovakia' is this untapped region who never offered the industry any talent. But I agree about Pudelka. Would love to see him shoot more covers.

I also know that there must be some reasoning as to why 'Czechoslovakia' must be so accepted in that region that it's being formally used, but it's still odd.

So when's Vogue Africa coming out? Or will every country in Europe get a version before that? We'll probably see Irish Vogue next.

Now that you mention it, there's never even been an Irish Elle, which I always wondered about, back when times were good for magazines and Hachette seemed to be launching a new edition every few months somewhere in the world.

And it wasn't just a case of British magazines doing double-duty across the two countries - there's always been a thriving market for women's magazines in Ireland, and many of those home-grown titles are still around today. But never any Elle.

Yet there's never been any shortage of talent from the island, whether that be designers, writers, models, musicians, actors... you could probably pledge to never feature someone on the cover who wasn't from here, and never run out of celebrity names.

I also know that there must be some reasoning as to why 'Czechoslovakia' must be so accepted in that region that it's being formally used, but it's still odd.
I agree with Lausanne, I have no particular expectations from the magazine or am I excited about it - but all the negative comments in this thread are so annoying and irrelevant. How about saving rants about non-existent Vogues for other threads and not making other people feel almost bad for having their own editions. Now, shall we?

So I don't understand what's your issue with Czechoslovakia, Benn98, they are two small countries that are historically and culturally close, they can understand each other more than characters from Bron/Broen would in real life and since their markets are relatively small in comparison to their neighbors, there are companies that operate in both, there are shared TV productions, magazine publications, the list goes on.

I don't have an 'issue' with it. I just think that there are many other deserving countries which could've gotten one before 'Czechoslovakia.' Countries who probably contribute more to the luxury scope (Chile), who would probably draw more international impulse audiences with their unique creative vocabulary (South Africa or Nigeria.) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking like that.

Now that you mention it, there's never even been an Irish Elle, which I always wondered about, back when times were good for magazines and Hachette seemed to be launching a new edition every few months somewhere in the world.

And it wasn't just a case of British magazines doing double-duty across the two countries - there's always been a thriving market for women's magazines in Ireland, and many of those home-grown titles are still around today. But never any Elle.

Yet there's never been any shortage of talent from the island, whether that be designers, writers, models, musicians, actors... you could probably pledge to never feature someone on the cover who wasn't from here, and never run out of celebrity names.

It's certainly something which imo could've been immensely successful. What's even more of a motivation would be the thriving commerce in the Irish Republic, their own icons (both local and international) etc etc. I'm not sure how much UK Elle sell in the Republic, but if Elle Quebec run with a circulation of 65k. I'm sure they could top that. It may sound like I've double standards, but the standards are different, of course. Elle is not Vogue.

It's certainly something which imo could've been immensely successful. What's even more of a motivation would be the thriving commerce in the Irish Republic, their own icons (both local and international) etc etc. I'm not sure how much UK Elle sell in the Republic, but if Elle Quebec run with a circulation of 65k. I'm sure they could top that. It may sound like I've double standards, but the standards are different, of course. Elle is not Vogue.

Not to go too off topic, but yeah, there is definitely a market for it. I don't think Irish Tatler and Image would be too happy, but now I'm dreaming of Daria Werbowy (I know she's not Irish by birth, but her Irish partner, child and home in Cork would warrant her a cover imo :P) frolicking in the Irish countryside like that one US Vogue editorial she had..

It's clear that with every new Vogue, the question of "it it necessary?" comes up. I'm not familiar with Czech or Slovakian fashion so perhaps this edition will expose us to some hidden gems. :smile:

Vogue Greece and Vogue Argentina are close tol

Was there ever a Vogue Argentina? I had no idea we had one, but now as an adult I wish we did. Because Vogue Latam is just not right here, especially when you consider we don't even have the same seasons as the northern part of SA. I wish there was a Vogue for Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. It's laughable that we get the winter edition in December when we're under 40°C here, if anything VB is better fitted for us but there's the language with that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->