Vogue España July 2019 : Rosalía by Peter Lindbergh

I've no idea who she is and while I quite like the flowing Botticelli-style manes, the rest doesn't make any sense. And that's mainly down to the cropping.

The lack of warmth and strange position (is she lying down?) is making it look a bit corpse-like.

What a disastrous cover for one of the most promising future Spanish superstars. I am in love with Rosalía's music and how it makes me feel; sadly none of it is reflected here. Corpse-like indeed.

Beautiful, I actually like her face expression, it works with the pose and background.

I don´t like the outfit, this was one of those moments when I would have welcomed a more literal approach to her.

Love Rosalía! The cover is slightly underwhelming though.

Good for her!!! I'm so excited to see that she got a Vogue cover!

However the cover itself...? And shot by Peter Lindbergh? And this styling..... I'm not feeling it. 4/10

I love this! I’m not sure about the photo but the fact that she got a cover is wonderful! I’m still waiting her Vogue Mexico spread (or cover) mentioned months ago... maybe september?

Btw, Spanish people are hating this cover and Rosalia in general... Vogue Spain’s IG is full of negative comments about the cover subject... calling her talentless or things like that -same what happened with Yalitza here in México months ago-

The death have risen, lol. This makes me think of Eva Green.

Btw, Spanish people are hating this cover and Rosalia in general... Vogue Spain’s IG is full of negative comments about the cover subject... calling her talentless or things like that -same what happened with Yalitza here in México months ago-

I didn't know that they did that about Yalitza...?? I saw on Vogue Mexico's IG that it had close to 100,000 likes (compared to their usual 5,000 - 10,000.

There will always be negative comments on social media. Just depends if there are more positive ones I guess.

She´s accused of cultural appropiation because she´s from Barcelona and not Andalucia/roma...

I love this! I’m not sure about the photo but the fact that she got a cover is wonderful! I’m still waiting her Vogue Mexico spread (or cover) mentioned months ago... maybe september?

Conjures up the words "morgue chic". I really don't like this. I rarely like Peter's photographs in color, tbh.

She´s accused of cultural appropiation because she´s from Barcelona and not Andalucia/roma...

There's no such thing as cultural appropiation between Spaniards. :lol:

(Some) Spaniards are hating on her for the same reason they've been hating on Penélope Cruz for like the last 20 years. Envy.

I don´t know about that... what about roma people? they´re spaniards but they´re also their own community being discriminate against. So I can see why they would accuse her of appropiation.

There's no such thing as cultural appropiation between Spaniards. :lol:

(Some) Spaniards are hating on her for the same reason they've been hating on Penélope Cruz for like the last 20 years. Envy.

I don´t know about that... what about roma people? they´re spaniards but they´re also their own community being discriminate against. So I can see why they would accuse her of appropiation.

The consensus is that "Flamenco has been influenced by and associated with the Romani people in Spain; however, its origin and style are uniquely Andalusian." "Of the hypotheses regarding its origin, the most widespread states that flamenco was developed through the cross-cultural interchange between native Andalusians, Romani, Castilians, Moors and Sephardi Jews that occurred in Andalusia"

So a Spaniard creating flamenco music or having a flamenco aesthetic is anything but cultural appropiation. Flamenco is uniquely Andalusian and hence uniquely Spanish.

I wouldn't consider a British (for example) artist incorporating flamenco into their music to be cultural appropiation either. I think cultural appropiation is a dynamic between historically oppressive and historically oppressed societies/cultures.

Last edited:

Are you guys talking about the Roma from Romania? Didn't know they were of Spanish origin. That said, Noomi Rapace's father is a Spanish Roma so I suppose it is possible.
They're being treated rather shoddily by the Romanians and French to this day. And people revel in all sorts of stereotypes about them. I've seen it with my own eyes! Would be odd for a Cuban girl to try and pass herself off as Roma, but she wouldn't be the first. The culture is very exotic and therefore profitable, you see. The Romanians themselves stole a lot from them in the way of culture.

Not only the flamenco music, people in Latam criticizes her because she sings reggaeton too.

She could say her DNA test revealed that she's quarter black and therefore have the right to use the culture as she wish. Just like Gwyneth 'The African Princess' Paltrow said many years ago before everyone jumped on the DNA kit craze. Ever the trendsetter, Madame Goop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->