Vogue Hong Kong August 2020 : Kylie Jenner by Greg Swales

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by versustito, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

I'm kind of here for this, NGL.

2. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

Okay, let's make it clear - she look great here, it is not a bad cover AT ALL.

3. avonlea002

avonlea002 Well-Known Member

One of her best covers. The only issue I have with this picture is white nails, they make it look cheap.

vogue28 likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I suppose they're not really in a position to be too political, given they're not exactly the biggest and most important Vogue edition in Asia. That's why we are seeing these subtle 'activism' messaging.
    I just find the contrast almost hilarious. What does Kylie have to do with the 'Action/Act Now' issue or Hailey Bieber with the 'Hope' issue? The August cover of HK Tatler features a millionaire hotelier with the heading 'Blue Skies Ahead'? It's like polar opposites, lol. The whole idea of 'hidden code' is that someone should at least be able to join the dots, lol.

5. loyeling

loyeling Active Member

6. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Like a poor man's version of Irina. On that note, she would have killed this concept.

aracic, HFBvrg, RedSmokeRise and 4 others like this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

So the cover image was the best one of the lot? LOL.

Phuel, GivenchyAddict and 0st3nd like this.
  8. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

she looks stunning in the editorial. My fave is the one with the purple skirt, very sexy!

9. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

She seems to possess of a very natural ability to making anything she wears look cheap. I don’t know anything about her MU line— however, for her face to always resemble an oily oil painting and to consistently cheapen even designer pieces, more power to her for making bank at it. And a billionaire to boot.

The shot of her sitting and leaning forward with her eyes closed is so unfortunate LOL

(I have a friend who uses mostly this very affordable MU line from a national drug store, and she always looks immaculate without looking like she's painted her face like Kylie. Unlike Kylie, I suppose she’s the type that make cheap MU look amazing on her and can wear basics and still look expensive.)

10. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

Better than Kendall

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  11. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Member

Wow....How times change.... 20 or 30 years ago none of these people would have been booked for a fashion shoot. Not even for a FOB feature. It makes me gasp every time.

Bertrando3 likes this.
  12. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

The only Kylie who matters is Kylie Minogue.

13. ezacessline

ezacessline Member

The fifth pic :rofl:.
    She doesn't look sexy in the red dress.

14. SophiaVB

SophiaVB Well-Known Member

This all works for me except the face... I know it's been talked about to death but the lips/makeup are really distracting & I can't help but zoom in on it in every shot. I don't even mind the styling or the sexiness.

Ken Doll Jenner likes this.
  15. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

The cover image itself is pretty inoffensive, love the choice of the latex Saint Laurent dress for Kylie and can appreciate the simplicity of the art direction with the minimal cover lines. I could, however, have done without those hideous white nails too @avonlea002!

avonlea002 likes this.
  16. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

I just checked this issue, weirdly, the EIC is Kat Yeung now.
    Peter Wong, who was the previous EIC for just more than 1 year, is listed as cultural editor below Kat Yeung......
    Never seen such arrangement, I mean isn't that a step down for an EIC? usually the ex-EIC will just leave or retire, who would lower themselves from EIC to editor?

Well, I guess he wasn't doing a happy job as EIC while he still loves writing fashion and culture, so he decides to stay on a role more suitable for him... honestly, consider his low-key and shy personality, he isn't a typical Vogue EIC in my mind, this role definitely need someone aggressive and outgoing.

#36 chanelh, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Benn98 likes this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like a demotion, but then it could be voluntary? I guess hats off to Peter Wong because I certainly would never be able to do that. In the end, it was maybe better this way because I still can't capture the identity of Vogue HK in one sentence and he clearly had enough time.

18. chanelh

chanelh Well-Known Member

Yeah, I assume it is more like a voluntary or consultant role there, clearly things didn't turn ugly and he gets to keep a more satisfied position at the magazine.
    Vogue HK is not a success so far indeed, I don't blame Peter, it's more like that's how HK is....I mean this city is pretty weak and messed up when it comes to cultural identity and values, especially these days, it's fading in everything and everyone is confused here.

Benn98 likes this.