Vogue Italia September 2024 by Steven Meisel

but sometimes the best photo is not aligned with politics and commercial side of the business...they needed to be Chloe on the cover and maybe that's the best on of that look...just saying...

Now editors hardly choose cover pictures just because it's a strong beautiful photo...it has to go right with the issue and like i've said politics and commercial are involved in mostly all titles...

Oh Mariacarla :wub:

Beautiful covers! Such a joy to see Steven Meisel shoot for Vogue Italia, and the results are gorgeous.

Does anyone know where to pick up Vogue Italia in the UK these days? It’s been so long since I bought it and my favourite magazine shop here in Manchester has shut down since then. There’s also now only one WHSmith and that’s in the train station - maybe that would have it though.
Pre-order now available on eBay.

I strongly disagree: the best photo from the strongest editorial becomes the cover image in most cases. That should have been the case here, it's a weak shot for the cover of french Vogue IF we want to go back (one day...) to what Vogue Paris used to be but yeah if we want a Vanilla era then hell yeah this picture is perfect for the cover.

The picture with the hat or the veil are stronger for me personally.
Covers are a totally different entity from editorials IMO. Editorials are telling a story or some sort of narrative or mood. The best photos can't just be plucked out and put on the cover devoid of context. A magazine cover is supposed to make you curious about the magazine, no? In this case, the cover photo makes sense (I don't even think it's a bad photo) with the Emmanuelle reference. How is it a weak shot for VF? They're lucky to have such a "weak" cover. We know Vogue France (and other Vogues) can never and will never go back to their glory days. I'd take a vanilla-era cover that's generally inoffensive like this over a sh*t-era cover like the recent Celine Dion or Gigi Hadid covers.

What a great come back! I fell like we all needed Steven Meisel for Vogue Italia. Such a treat!

BTW. It seems like Meisel is the only one who is able to sell magazine these days.... 😉

but sometimes the best photo is not aligned with politics and commercial side of the business...they needed to be Chloe on the cover and maybe that's the best on of that look...just saying...

Now editors hardly choose cover pictures just because it's a strong beautiful photo...it has to go right with the issue and like i've said politics and commercial are involved in mostly all titles...

No yeah for sure, politics and commercial-ness always are into play but we never had that problem at Vogue Italia under France, or at Vogue China under Angelica or at Vogue Paris under Carine : we ALWAYS had strong strong images, cool poses, powerful images that went beyond the editorial rules or commercial aspects or at the very least it was very well done or hidden. Now you either have BORING BAD images but are perfect for PR and politic s**t or very artsy photos that don't belong on a cover and wouldn't make us stop in the street.

Covers are a totally different entity from editorials IMO. Editorials are telling a story or some sort of narrative or mood. The best photos can't just be plucked out and put on the cover devoid of context. A magazine cover is supposed to make you curious about the magazine, no? In this case, the cover photo makes sense (I don't even think it's a bad photo) with the Emmanuelle reference. How is it a weak shot for VF? They're lucky to have such a "weak" cover. We know Vogue France (and other Vogues) can never and will never go back to their glory days. I'd take a vanilla-era cover that's generally inoffensive like this over a sh*t-era cover like the recent Celine Dion or Gigi Hadid covers.

That's my main problem though, we should NOT have to pick up between vanilla type of covers or sh*tty Kendall covers that are totally useless, we need to DEMAND the big corporations to do awesome jobs like they used to in the 90's. And before anyone throws the easy ''revisionist'' type of answer LOL let's be honest not a single cover from Vogue nowadays could hold a candle to what these 4 top Vogue used to produce, even Vogue Australia under Christy Clements (ok it's bold to say but I mean it lol).

I feel that we get the same level of covers Vogue Taiwan used to produce 20 years ago ahahaha and YOU KNOW it was down bad bad baaaad lol :lol: . What have we done to deserve that???

No yeah for sure, politics and commercial-ness always are into play but we never had that problem at Vogue Italia under France, or at Vogue China under Angelica or at Vogue Paris under Carine : we ALWAYS had strong strong images, cool poses, powerful images that went beyond the editorial rules or commercial aspects or at the very least it was very well done or hidden. Now you either have BORING BAD images but are perfect for PR and politic s**t or very artsy photos that don't belong on a cover and wouldn't make us stop in the street.
sadly this is the times now...and also i think now specially at vogue non of the head of contents have really a vision and the talent for that position. they do the best they can,even if their best is just a non-event of contents...

And i only mentioned because the images you like for the cover are indeed stronger and im sure would make a better cover but in this particular case the politics were more relevant (for them) and also they needed to distance from VI covers that are on the same route of the images we liked.

maybe it's just a Vogue thing, because Elle US put out some far better editorials in its September issue (better than the Vogue US edition that is) and even the fashion photography in the WSJ or Financial Times is often on par with or better done than the two biggest Vogues (US/UK).

The Meisel photographs in this issue of VI are so good, but post-consolidation I've noticed some not-good VI covers and editorials even from photographers whose other work I like (notably Cho Gi-seok), it's especially frustrating when the talent is obviously there but being pushed sideways by lack of editorial support or lack of taste/pov.

All this reprinting kills the excitement. This issue isn't even out yet but we've seen everything. Also who wants to buy two magazines with the same stuff printed inside? It's not helping with the sales obviously.

^not everybody has access to all Vogues... so reprints work in that sense imo. Back when I was collecting mags and living in Argentina, where getting imported magazines was super hard and expensive, I would have loved to get reprints.

^ I know. And that's the point of reprints. But Italy, France, Spain, the UK... they're not so far from each other. I believe one can buy all of those editions at one newsstand. It would make more sense when a story is republished in other Vogues from Asia or Latin America.

^ I know. And that's the point of reprints. But Italy, France, Spain, the UK... they're not so far from each other. I believe one can buy all of those editions at one newsstand. It would make more sense when a story is republished in other Vogues from Asia or Latin America.
Exactly in Italy you can find all those europeans Vogue, so it makes sense to pick just one,your favorite...

LO STILE ITALIANO
Photography:
Steven Meisel
Styling: Joe McKenna
Hair: Guido Palau
Make-up: Pat McGrath
Models: Isabella Rossellini, Linda Evangelista, Mariacarla Boscono, Vittoria Ceretti, Deva Cassel & Maty Fall

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

INTO THE WILD
Photography:
Vito Fernicola
Styling: Vittoria Cerciello
Hair: Kalle Eklund
Make-up: Anthony Preel
Model: Karolina Spakowski

COME UNA CAREZZA
Photography:
Darren Gwynn
Styling: Elizabeth Fraser-Bell
Hair: Claire Grech
Make-up: Caroline Fenouil
Models: Nora Attal & Jonas Glöer

Nora Attal and Maty Fall are very underrated models. The both are very beautiful and should get more jobs!

Nora Attal and Maty Fall are very underrated models. The both are very beautiful and should get more jobs!
I think Maty has even more character than Nora and has a great walk and confidence on the catwalk. Nora on the runway is not convincing enough in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetyuter
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->