Vogue Japan November 2019 : Adut Akech by Albert Watson

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It looks like an inverse colour shot of the Ku Klux Klan.

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now I can't unsee it!

3. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

If only the picture was in color...

4. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

This very dark shadow on shadow imagery is one of Albert’s gorgeous signature styles, but sadly doesn’t work here. Admittedly, dressing a Black model in a large, pointy hood is a tad tone-deaf. But their fashion director is pretty much tone-deaf when it comes to any semblance of style. Shame that the results are so KKK-ish since Albert doesn’t shoot much these days and when he does— this is the result.

And Adut will forever be relegated to being dressed as a flower, fairy or a Puritan to ensure no one will ever be offended for her. As if she couldn’t be any more bland.

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  5. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to say anything, but I actually had to laugh at some of these comments. Racist undertones? They wanted her to fade into the background? Racist cult? That's so extra lol

It's all about one's perspective really, cause what I see is a beautiful dark witch. No racist cults, just a good old satanic cult. Anyone seen American Horror Story's Coven, Cult or Apocalypse? So many pointy hoods on those witches and as I previously stated, I find the vibe really cool. If this were Tim Walker or Paolo Roversi, I'd expect a stunning enchanted editorial with witches and cults, a la W's 2012 editorial ''Spellbound''. But I doubt this will be it.
    Also, it's 2019 and no fashion magazine would knowingly do something as openly racist as making a black model fade into the background or dress her as a KKK member. Also Adut is a smart young woman, do you think she'd put this on if she thought it was offensive? She has enough power to say no at this point in her career. That is just my point of view.

6. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

Not what I was expecting as the cover for Watson's special issue...having said that I think people are reading too much into this. It is just a bad cover, and Albert's typical studio style did not mesh with this image in terms of the styling chosen (this is an S/S 2015 look as well, no? Random!) and the lighting/overly grainy quality of picture.

aracic likes this.
  7. russianelf

russianelf Well-Known Member

This seems such an American thing to think about the KKK first. I'm with aracic, I get witch or cult leader from this. Or like a red riding hood from a horror fairytale.

aracic likes this.
  8. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

I´m not american and perhaps I´m reading too much into this but Japan is known for being a racist country so it´s not that far a stretch for me to think it. I remember that VJ (and other asian editions) ditched Jourdan Dunn from the Liu-Jo ads with Karlie Kloss...
    (and just a quick add to say that in AHS all the witches but one are white and the only black ones are the voodoo witches).

tigerrouge and Benn98 like this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Agreed, and Estee Lauder Asia digitally removed Anok from their group ads, meaning it's only Fei Fei and Grace. Theoretically one could argue that EL probably didn't see the need to include Anok because there wouldn't be that many dark-skinned women in Asia to target? But why not just keep the trio as it were because it's not like they could fill Anok's space with copy or a product shot.

In Vogue Japan's defense though, this editorial was likely conceived by Vian (an Italian, surprise surpise) and Watson. Also, VJ is one of the very few Asian editions who feature black women far more frequently than others in that region because I think they've been exposed to black beauty sine 1945. They've just included Adut in their recent 'girls of the moment' group cover, and before her, there was Selena, Joan, Binx.... While they may not revere black beauty, they certainly are not faintly phobic about it either unlike *cough* China *cough*. So I don't really want to believe that they are inherently racist.

I didn't see the pointed hood to mean KKK nor racist undertones, because to me it's just an incredibly ugly cover from start to finish. But now that it has been pointed out, it's impossible to ignore it. My two cents.

10. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

Adut's face is sublime and Watson is one of my all time favorite photographers.
    But this stylist should be thrown into a volcano. That ugly costume and ill-fitted brassiere?!
    Awful.

aracic likes this.
  11. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Blessed be the fruit

sixtdaily, jorgepalomo and aracic like this.
  12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Commes Des Garcons

Photographer: Albert Watson
    Stylist: Sissy Vian
    Hair: Takayuki Nukui
    Makeup: Ayami Nishimura
    Manicure: Naoko Takano
    Cast: Adut Akech

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Vogue Japan Digital Edition

#32 Benn98, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Destination Japan

Photographer: Albert Watson
    Stylist: Sissy Vian
    Hair: Pierpaolo Lai, Takayuki Nukui
    Makeup: Ayami Nishimura, Kabuki, Yoshihiro Ora
    Manicure: Naoko Takano, Maki Sakamoto
    Cast: Chiharu Okunugi, Adut Akech, Issa Lish, Kiko Arai, Maaya, Miki Ahara, Tsugumi

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Vogue Japan Digital Edition

#33 Benn98, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    guimon, Fiercification, apple and 7 others like this.
  14. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazed by both Watson editorials! Adut's CDG cover story is exceptional and puts Meisel's to shame (it hurts me to say, but it's true), and the second one is simply stunning. Excellent issue so far!

GivenchyAddict and jorgepalomo like this.
  15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Adut cant even be bothered to promote this cover

16. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

I’m love with Adut’s ed.

MetroMelannie likes this.
  17. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Wow everything is so good

18. Hafyiez wafa

Hafyiez wafa Active Member

lovee this ED

19. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

^Same a big 10/10. Love everything from the casting, make-up to the styling.

20. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

WOW Japanese models in the actual Vogue Japan !!! Love this editorial !