Vogue Japan November 2019 : Adut Akech by Albert Watson

This very dark shadow on shadow imagery is one of Albert’s gorgeous signature styles, but sadly doesn’t work here. Admittedly, dressing a Black model in a large, pointy hood is a tad tone-deaf. But their fashion director is pretty much tone-deaf when it comes to any semblance of style. Shame that the results are so KKK-ish since Albert doesn’t shoot much these days and when he does— this is the result.

And Adut will forever be relegated to being dressed as a flower, fairy or a Puritan to ensure no one will ever be offended for her. As if she couldn’t be any more bland.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I actually had to laugh at some of these comments. Racist undertones? They wanted her to fade into the background? Racist cult? That's so extra lol

It's all about one's perspective really, cause what I see is a beautiful dark witch. No racist cults, just a good old satanic cult. Anyone seen American Horror Story's Coven, Cult or Apocalypse? So many pointy hoods on those witches and as I previously stated, I find the vibe really cool. If this were Tim Walker or Paolo Roversi, I'd expect a stunning enchanted editorial with witches and cults, a la W's 2012 editorial ''Spellbound''. But I doubt this will be it.
Also, it's 2019 and no fashion magazine would knowingly do something as openly racist as making a black model fade into the background or dress her as a KKK member. Also Adut is a smart young woman, do you think she'd put this on if she thought it was offensive? She has enough power to say no at this point in her career. That is just my point of view.

Not what I was expecting as the cover for Watson's special issue...having said that I think people are reading too much into this. It is just a bad cover, and Albert's typical studio style did not mesh with this image in terms of the styling chosen (this is an S/S 2015 look as well, no? Random!) and the lighting/overly grainy quality of picture.

This seems such an American thing to think about the KKK first. I'm with aracic, I get witch or cult leader from this. Or like a red riding hood from a horror fairytale.

I´m not american and perhaps I´m reading too much into this but Japan is known for being a racist country so it´s not that far a stretch for me to think it. I remember that VJ (and other asian editions) ditched Jourdan Dunn from the Liu-Jo ads with Karlie Kloss...
(and just a quick add to say that in AHS all the witches but one are white and the only black ones are the voodoo witches).

I´m not american and perhaps I´m reading too much into this but Japan is known for being a racist country so it´s not that far a stretch for me to think it. I remember that VJ (and other asian editions) ditched Jourdan Dunn from the Liu-Jo ads with Karlie Kloss...
(and just a quick add to say that in AHS all the witches but one are white and the only black ones are the voodoo witches).

Agreed, and Estee Lauder Asia digitally removed Anok from their group ads, meaning it's only Fei Fei and Grace. Theoretically one could argue that EL probably didn't see the need to include Anok because there wouldn't be that many dark-skinned women in Asia to target? But why not just keep the trio as it were because it's not like they could fill Anok's space with copy or a product shot.

In Vogue Japan's defense though, this editorial was likely conceived by Vian (an Italian, surprise surpise) and Watson. Also, VJ is one of the very few Asian editions who feature black women far more frequently than others in that region because I think they've been exposed to black beauty sine 1945. They've just included Adut in their recent 'girls of the moment' group cover, and before her, there was Selena, Joan, Binx.... While they may not revere black beauty, they certainly are not faintly phobic about it either unlike *cough* China *cough*. So I don't really want to believe that they are inherently racist.

I didn't see the pointed hood to mean KKK nor racist undertones, because to me it's just an incredibly ugly cover from start to finish. But now that it has been pointed out, it's impossible to ignore it. My two cents.

Adut's face is sublime and Watson is one of my all time favorite photographers.
But this stylist should be thrown into a volcano. That ugly costume and ill-fitted brassiere?!
Awful.

Commes Des Garcons

Photographer: Albert Watson
Stylist: Sissy Vian
Hair: Takayuki Nukui
Makeup: Ayami Nishimura
Manicure: Naoko Takano
Cast: Adut Akech

4OicCR1q_t.jpg
2xKzb13i_t.jpg

Vogue Japan Digital Edition

Last edited:
Destination Japan

Hair: Pierpaolo Lai, Takayuki Nukui
Makeup: Ayami Nishimura, Kabuki, Yoshihiro Ora
Manicure: Naoko Takano, Maki Sakamoto
Cast: Chiharu Okunugi, Adut Akech, Issa Lish, Kiko Arai, Maaya, Miki Ahara, Tsugumi

02SJa4cu_t.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely amazed by both Watson editorials! Adut's CDG cover story is exceptional and puts Meisel's to shame (it hurts me to say, but it's true), and the second one is simply stunning. Excellent issue so far!

Adut cant even be bothered to promote this cover

Destination Japan

Hair: Pierpaolo Lai, Takayuki Nukui
Makeup: Ayami Nishimura, Kabuki, Yoshihiro Ora
Manicure: Naoko Takano, Maki Sakamoto
Cast: Chiharu Okunugi, Adut Akech, Issa Lish, Kiko Arai, Maaya, Miki Ahara, Tsugumi

02SJa4cu_t.jpg

lovee this ED

^Same a big 10/10. Love everything from the casting, make-up to the styling.

WOW Japanese models in the actual Vogue Japan !!! Love this editorial !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->