Vogue Japan November 2019 : Adut Akech by Albert Watson

Brilliant editorials, thanks for posting.
I wish one of the Japanese models got the cover.

Of course 'Destination Japan' is absolutely fantastic, it's classic Watson and that means soulful, powerful, elegant fashion portraits. Wow, he's been so missed in fashion editorial over the past two decades. I kind of wish there were some more location images, as he can do amazing architectural imagery as well but I'm pretty happy with everything in this story, from cultural representation to styling and casting.

Adut's cover feature is also good, but is kind of forgettable next to the longer main story. I might just have to shell out cash for this - magazines rarely offer something worth a second look these days.

Thanks Benn98 :flower:.

Everyone wants diversity, and then you get it...and then it’s like....this cover is still too racist!

Thanks for posting these, Benn98! Are there only two editorials?

Well, there's one more in the front section featuring native celebrities with pretty generic photography. Not worth posting. Plus cover feature reprints from US Vogue and Vanity Fair. That's really it.

No other story is needed with these two very strong and stunningly gorgeous stories from Albert. The other one is from Jiro Konami— who’s usually really solid with his Japanese urban operatic narrative-lead stories, but here he’s just aimlessly on automatic with this catalogue shoot. They really should have left it out in the presence of Albert’s greatness.

Tone-deaf covershot select aside (and tiger's description is really spot on), Adut’s Comme des Garcons possesses Albert’s black on black tones against a white seamless is all kinds of gorgeous. This titan’s skills rising above and beyond Adut’s lack of modelling skills is what a visionary does so well. He’s still that good. But the masterwork by far is the mesmerizing 34-page Destination Japan story. Every single shot is Albert-signature sculptural and a master’s eye (no pun intended) for texture, composition and lighting. It’s such joy to see such a strong production of imagery that is so piercing and forceful in its vision of fashion. And this needs to be seen in as a spread rather then as individual files online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->