What Are Your Thoughts On Plastic Surgery?

I think nose jobs is a bad idea sometimes. Like one of my friends expressed it:
"If you want a face that no one will remember -get a small nose".

Of course I'm biased as I have a long and pointy nose, but my opinion is that a small nose may be cute when your young but the older you get the more you will understand the need of having a profile.
Look at Brigitte Bardot for example. She was so cute when young but I don't envy the face she got as an older woman.
I'm not saying people with small noses are ugly in any way, but I do think a nose is good to have when you start to get a double chin and saggy face. Without a nose the face can look like it's melted... The nose holds it up.
But I guess you could always fix the double chin :wink:

Well a lot of people are born with small noses and that's fine.
In regard to what you say, I personally think that good plastic surgery is where you tweak the face, not change it. So a person with a distinctive nose should never have it made small. Bridgette Bardot was gorgeous and only aged badly imo because she just didn't care, she spent a lot of time in the sun not taking care of her skin etc. I actually admire her for not 'fixing herself up,' especially given the fact that she was known for her looks.

Being born with a small and cute nose is hardly a negative thing, that's not what I meant at all, better point that out. But I do think that a longer nose is doing a better job balancing out a saggy face and a double chin on older people.
Just remembered... Noses grow when you get older don't they? Maybe I didn't have a point after all...

Do you agree, or not agree with getting plastic surgery and if so why?

Do you agree, or not agree with getting plastic surgery and if so why?

Disagree with most procedures for nothing more than vanity reasons (nose jobs for one).

It's different if it's for reconstructive reasons after an accident or to correct a deformity. It might also be OK for professional reasons if one makes a living based on looks (actress, model, etc.)

Keeping up with the high-school Bettys is not a valid reason though.

^I had a nose job, and it was awesome. Worth every penny.

We already have a thread on this though

Personally, I am against it. But I also believe that people should have the right to do what they want with their bodies. But I would never get it done. (unless I was in an accident or something).

I dunno...i feel like I would be betraying the trust of my body, or something....

but hey, if you want to get it done, more power to ya. Just be safe about it.

Zoe

Done well, nothing like it.

Done badly, nothing like it.

Either way, consider it final except for minor tweaking. Redo's are a mutha.

I think as long as you don't go out there and get 6 procedures in one day, or get something done that is completely unnecessary (like going from a 36D to a 36DD) I fully agree with plastic surgery.

We never really know how people feel about their bodies, and we shouldn't be judging.
For example, I was always VERY confident (or so it seemed) but I had slightly deformed, tiny breasts * I first noticed that 'nothing'' will get 'bigger' down there when I was 15-16 and my whole life I have been upset about it. Honestly, buying lingerie was a torture and it didn't help that my best friend at the time had.. well.. really big boobs. I had trouble being naked in front of men, or even showing myself in a bikini. One day even my mom made a joke about it: I asked her if she could give me money so I could go get myself a new bra and she said something along the lines of: 'A bra? What for? You barely have anything there, you don't need a bra!' I remember I started crying so badly.. it was awful.

When I was 19 I got a loan from my bank and got a boob job- my life has changed in so many ways. I am more confident than ever, I love life, fashion, and most of all - I love my body. Although I am in no way perfect I love looking in the mirror and showing myself off.

So, yes. If a person is unhappy, and they can change something about it, I agree with PS!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have the money and are able to do the research, then GOOD FOR YOU! there is definitely such a thing as overdoing it, though.

i had a ba two summers ago, and i am definitely more confident and happier with myself. buying bras is soooo much easier too.

^That's so funny. I have always been really sad that I have big breasts. They really started to get bigger when I was 14, and I cried for weeks. I barely had a B-cup before and I loved it! But then again, I know that me being a women does not depend on the size of my breasts, so I learned to live with them.

Disagree with most procedures for nothing more than vanity reasons (nose jobs for one).

It's different if it's for reconstructive reasons after an accident or to correct a deformity. It might also be OK for professional reasons if one makes a living based on looks (actress, model, etc.)

Keeping up with the high-school Bettys is not a valid reason though.

I'm not in a looks based profession and my nose held me back, period. Still what everyone else is saying is true also.... I need a revision and it's turning out to be a difficult process.

My life was very much dictated by having a feature out of proportion with the rest of my body. The first thing the surgeon who did my nose had me do in the consult was stand up so he could look at my nose in relation to my body. He said, "It's just too big for your overall size."

People have continued to argue with me about it, one "friend" called it a "quick fix" (he also refused to call to check on me the day of the surgery he was so against it), but the fact is I've become a different person in the 6 years since I had my primary and I waited way too long to have it done.

long post, sorry :smile:

I am totally in favor of plastic surgery in moderation, although for some reason cheek/lip/butt/boob implants always creep me out unless they are reconstructive (mastectomy, etc.). But that's my own opinion. I want to have a couple kids and I would definitely get a breast lift after nursing if my body doesn't hold up well. And all the women in my family have really heavily-lidded eyes that get droopy to the point of interfering with vision, so I'm sure I'll have to have those fixed (like every woman in my family has, haha).
However, when I think about all the little procedures people do, and just keep fixing and fixing and fixing, it makes me pretty sad.

We all have fat and ugly days though, and especially in LA, it's hard not to wish you could just fix all your flaws. When I'm fixating on something, I try to either get some exercise or read, and the next day I don't even notice the little thing that bothered me the day before. Overall I like my body because it looks like me.

This post really helped me feel better about some scars I have from 12 years of sports/sports surgeries, though. It's by a woman named Stephanie Nielson who was in a plane crash that burned almost all of her body. She and I are completely different when it comes to beliefs and lifestyle, but whenever I read this piece of her writing, I always feel INSTANTLY better about myself and grateful for the body I have:

"I saw Lucy's darling pregnant-due-any-day-belly up close as she changed into a little make-shift swimming suit I produced for the moment (A sports bra and some old trunks)
to get into the hot tub with Betsy and my herd.

In despair after the accident, I looked at my thin, burned, frail body in disgust.
I would never ever look the same, or good enough to be in a swimming suit and with that,
I threw them all away.
All of them.
Even the cute polka dotted one-piece I got that was (if I do say so myself) pretty hot on.
I longed for beautiful and healthy skin, but more than that a baby in MY tummy.

After the troop came inside, we put jammies on the children and sat and watched them dance to Christmas music in my living room.
They are so innocent and I thought to myself, just how badly I wanted to protect them from anything and everything wrong and bad in the world.
Then I remembered how hard I was (and am) on myself sometimes.
I wish I had this and that-mostly physical. But WOW, look at what I have!!
I have a body! That is good enough for me. I have skin! That is good enough for me.
I don't care the shape its in- I have it, and I am so blessed.
And that is what I want my children to remember about their mother.
That I was always grateful for everything and anything I had.
Even if it is old, worn out, sad, ugly or burned.
I have it- and that is good enough"

(http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2010/11/good-enough.html)

I am totally in favor of plastic surgery in moderation, although for some reason cheek/lip/butt/boob implants always creep me out unless they are reconstructive (mastectomy, etc.). But that's my own opinion. I want to have a couple kids and I would definitely get a breast lift after nursing if my body doesn't hold up well. And all the women in my family have really heavily-lidded eyes that get droopy to the point of interfering with vision, so I'm sure I'll have to have those fixed (like every woman in my family has, haha).
However, when I think about all the little procedures people do, and just keep fixing and fixing and fixing, it makes me pretty sad.
I totally agree with this. My mum and her sisters all have droopy eyelids, they have all had them fixed... I like the look on myself though, it doesn't bother my vision (yet) :lol: But there is NO WAY that I'd had other stuff done to my face. I don't want to look perfect, I want to look like myself.

SabrinaNicole I had my nose done for the exact same reason. No one remembers what it looked like, a lot of my friend don't even know I had it done, I'm just happier now (and more proportioned :D)

I didn't feel to bad about it though. I did like it, but it didn't really fit me.

i just had juvederm injected in my upper lips 2 weeks ago... big mistake one side is bigger the the other and the smaller side covers my teeth when i smile i look so disfigured i dont knw why i did this to my self my doc keeps telling me its swelling but im convinced its not ! its been 2 weeks ! :(

Personally, I would be too scared to do anything. And I don't want to, actually.

But I don't mind other people doing it, if it's going to make them feel better. To each his own, non?

first I'd like to thanks those who shared their experiences on this thread, it was very useful reading, and i had a lovely surgery. Tomorrow i'm losing the cast so i'm pumped and yet terrified. And my nostrils look immense. is that normal? faaaanks :flower:

I used to hate my nose, but not so much as to get surgery. I learned to embrace all of my traits and what I perceived as flaws. Then again, there's really nothing super wrong with me, so I'd probably think differently about it if I were born a little less lucky.

As for the aging surgery, I'm rather against it because I think it's usually too obvious and even when it's well done, ageless women freak me out. The hands don't lie.

I have nothing against people who do use surgery, but I plan on staying 100% authentic.

Not sure I support it... leaning more towards not, because should someone get a part fixed which has made them always feel self conscious, they would have a tendency to find out more and more 'imperfections'. i would only support plastic surgery maybe for scar revision, or to fix anything that may have been by birth, i.e. a cleft palate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->