What Are Your Thoughts On Plastic Surgery?

I cant get over how different stephanie pratt looks. Before she was just normal - now she is actually beautiful. and not in a plastic way - she just looks like a genuinely natural beauty. *shock*

2nhddtg.jpg

hollywood.com

2d1s6px.png

twitter.com

9knfqp.png

twitter.com

nobvab.png

lauren conrads twitter

^^& to add. She has had nose work (twice) fillers cheek and lips. Botox forehead and maybe some to change how she smiles and also something to her chin, i cant tell if its an implant of it has been reshaped by filing it. & veneers. She looks great though.

*caveat thats all my opinion but I can just tell.

The thing that bothers me most about plastic surgery is that its mostly women that think they need to have painfull and endangering surgery because a bodypart of theirs is not acceptable.
I might be wrong since i come from a small country in eourope where things can be a bit different than in for example the USA but can any of you imagine a similar scenario to that one on the first page where a teenage girls mother is advising her to do liposuction whilst she is still in highschool, but with a teenage boy and his parents?
I think its good that plastic surgery (as any) exists as an option but i think it is so misused that i find it sad and defeating to even think about it.

I used to hate my nose, but not so much as to get surgery. I learned to embrace all of my traits and what I perceived as flaws. Then again, there's really nothing super wrong with me, so I'd probably think differently about it if I were born a little less lucky.

As for the aging surgery, I'm rather against it because I think it's usually too obvious and even when it's well done, ageless women freak me out. The hands don't lie.

I have nothing against people who do use surgery, but I plan on staying 100% authentic.

I got some of my father's features--like nose and neck--and I wasn't fond of the nose for awhile. What I found is that I grew into it as I got older. My feeling about bodies, faces, etc. is "Love the one you're with." I try not to judge others, but I remember last year being in a restaurant and a woman who had had a large amount of work done walked in, and my jaw dropped. (Where is my poker face when I need it?) It makes me sad, because I think people like Joan Rivers (who appears to be addicted) must have extremely low self-esteem.

On the one hand it's really positive that most people don't have to worry about surviving now. Some choose to obsess about some really crazy $hit though. There are better things to do with that energy.

As for the girl pictured above, she does look lovely--but absolutely nothing like herself.

I think the biggest mistake people do is not understanding that surgery is like sculpture. With sculpture you get one thing or the other.
You get this OR that.
The "I'm gonna fix this and get this and this"-attitude drives me insane because it doesn't care that doing this will affect the appearance of other areas.
The viewing of mouth, eyes etc as separate parts feels like a childs perspective that might work for makeup but not for sculpture.
I feel this approach can come from the person who wants surgery done (fine then) but what's worse from the plastic surgeons who are selling their services targeted to specific body parts.

I'm not sure people in general look upon themselves and others as three-dimensional. I've noticed many apply makeup looking straight in the mirror without ever checking profile view.
Even among art students I feel people generally are better at drawing and painting, which is about creating an illusion, but find sculpture more difficult even though it shouldn't be hard to make a 3D-version of a 3D-object if you REALLY understand what you see.
I think this goes to show that the three-dimensional formate is very very unforgiving and hard for most to understand.

I think people who consider surgery should keep in mind that they:

1) Are three-dimensional and can be seen from any angle -and there are many.
2) Can be seen in motion when the skin and muscles look different than when kept still.
3) Are constantly changing and could be in for major future unknown changes due to genetics, lifestyle, weight fluctuation etc.
4) Are made of meat and skin which are pretty crappy materials to sculpt with for long lasting pieces. Even bones suck compared to a foundation made of let's say steel.
5) Might not be as aware of the human proportions and the mystery of beauty (solve that one please) as they believe they are and the surgeons might not be either (can they even draw a human likeness?)

The above is aimed at anyone who is thinking of surgery but I'm not saying everyone would benefit from reading it, I'm sure there are plenty who doesn't need lecturing. Since I've talked to a few who craves surgery I do feel that some however, do need a reality check. Sorry :flower:

^ This is very interesting ... and I think also applies to other types of procedures that aren't plastic surgery per se. I think a lot of people underestimate the skill level needed to really do this kind of thing well. When you consider how many poor examples there are in Hollywood, where you'd think there would be access to the very best, that might give one pause.

My mother is a bargain shopper in these areas ... and a living object lesson on the topic of what not to do.

I used to HATE my nose when I was younger. I'm quite comfortable with it today and I'm way too scared of f*cking my face up in case a surgery goes wrong. For every good result there's about a million bad ones.

I think the biggest mistake people do is not understanding that surgery is like sculpture. With sculpture you get one thing or the other.
You get this OR that.
The "I'm gonna fix this and get this and this"-attitude drives me insane because it doesn't care that doing this will affect the appearance of other areas.
The viewing of mouth, eyes etc as separate parts feels like a childs perspective that might work for makeup but not for sculpture.
I feel this approach can come from the person who wants surgery done (fine then) but what's worse from the plastic surgeons who are selling their services targeted to specific body parts.

I find this so true. I know a few people who have had plastic surgery. Most of them don't get a good result because they're so preoccupied with their 'faults' that they think fixing that one small part will make the rest look good.

I don't remember where, but I read an interview once with a woman who had plastic surgery and she talked about how fast it got out of hand. First it was the nose, but when she fixed the nose suddenly her lips started bothering her. She did her lips then it became something else. It almost turns into an addiction as the real problem lies much deeper.

And for some people who do too much to their faces, I think it's a matter of control. I have a cousin that started with a nose-job that looked amazing on her. She really did look perfect after getting it. But today? It's been 6 years, I think, and she has done just about anything there is to her face. Fillers, plastic surgery, lips and recently, she even started with botox. She's 26!!! Some idiot "doctor" told her it's better to kill the wrinkles before they even appear. So now she gets them regularly. She looks so weird and plastic now. Like, it might look good on some pictures, from some angles but that's about it. In real life it's a bit off putting, she can't even smile properly. And she is a control freak, with issues beyond her face and body. Studying her in particular, plastic surgery is a way have control. Even though her face might look out of control.

But in general, I don't have anything against plastic surgery. As long as it's well thought through and, like Rova said, every angle is taken into consideration. Always keep the whole in mind, and small tweaks usually give a much better result than doing something drastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree that it can be a control thing.

The problem with the plastic look (which I encounter most often from injections) is that you get this "Something's not right" uneasy feeling when you look at the person's face, and then finally realize they've had work done. We get so much information from another person's face, including whether they're trustworthy. My face is the most visible and one of the most important expressions of who I am. It bugs me at a very deep instinctual level when others mess with theirs, and I don't see myself messing with mine.

Saan: Yes, I would think if you are in search of harmony, ideal proportions or beauty you would be most likely to find it if you were open to change anything/leave anything be, but I guess it's not unusual to be emotional about one single thing and fixed on that.
In some cases a long nose can be too long for the head, but in others the nose could be almost in proportion but appears big because the forehead and the back of the head is flat but no doctor would do scalp- or forehead implants (at least I think not) so in a Procrustean manner they offer a nose job anyway.
That I think is a vicious circle.
Sometimes when people talk about procedures they would like it sounds like they almost want the procedure more than the result, like it was the same thing as buying shoes or going on a trip, like they wanted the experience (only they're not even going to be awake during it).

Everyone is different and I know there are impulsive, brave persons who can decide in an afternoon the tattoo that's going to cover their whole back -and never regret it, but still I'm a bit puzzled of how vague some can be about why and how they want to have cosmetic surgery.
I've never talked anyone out of getting a tattoo since I just figured those who get tattoos are fearless and they know best what they like, but with surgery I think I would say something if a close friend had a dubious wish.
In a forum like this most will take the subject seriously and probably think things through, so this is kind of preaching to the converted but it's impossible to talk to (and bloody painful to listen to the getting-bigger chest-plans of) those who doesn't understand fashion, doesn't like art because it's strange and thinks Victoria Silvstedt has the most feminine face because her lips are so juicy. It's like, just hope being clueless is for life so that they won't suffer.

^ This is very interesting ... and I think also applies to other types of procedures that aren't plastic surgery per se. I think a lot of people underestimate the skill level needed to really do this kind of thing well. When you consider how many poor examples there are in Hollywood, where you'd think there would be access to the very best, that might give one pause.

My mother is a bargain shopper in these areas ... and a living object lesson on the topic of what not to do.

That sounds a bit like buying technology, only the rich can get the best and perhaps more important afford to upgrade when the new generation is out. You can't really tell either how fast it's going to advance in the future so the risk of being left behind is always there.

^ I agree that it can be a control thing.

The problem with the plastic look (which I encounter most often from injections) is that you get this "Something's not right" uneasy feeling when you look at the person's face, and then finally realize they've had work done. We get so much information from another person's face, including whether they're trustworthy. My face is the most visible and one of the most important expressions of who I am. It bugs me at a very deep instinctual level when others mess with theirs, and I don't see myself messing with mine.

I agree and feel the same :flower:.

I would never have anything done. Every person I know in real life who has had plastic surgery performed always ends up getting more and more work done. Usually they go on to get injections and fillers. I really do believe it can manifest itself into an addiction for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->