The Many Misconceptions About Models

I think they have morals and are generally nice people, who do great things, well I have seen a lot of them like this but I do think modelling can at some point make some one feel free, even though they get told to do things, they have to do certain things, I think there is an element of freedom in the creativity of specific shoots, in meeting new people, exploring and travelling the world, in support models can receive and in expressions and poses you see in images- I think there is element of freedom. I am actually speaking from my own experience of modelling, I feel the element of freedom. This may be why people think models have no morals.
That is an interesting way to view it, but I think what causes most people to think this way is much simpler. I think people see models dressed provocatively or perhaps topless/nude and automatically assume that they are unsavory people because of it. You see, to those of us here on tFS who have some understanding and experience with fashion, skimpy clothing and nudity are nothing all that strange, but to an average non-fashion knowledgeable person, even something relatively innocuous like a standard lingerie catalog can be perceived as highly sexual due to the overarching hyper-sexualization of our culture and mindsets. And to many people, if something is perceived as sexual outside of certain conditions, it is considered immoral, and the people involved with it's production are considered immoral also.

That is an interesting way to view it, but I think what causes most people to think this way is much simpler. I think people see models dressed provocatively or perhaps topless/nude and automatically assume that they are unsavory people because of it. You see, to those of us here on tFS who have some understanding and experience with fashion, skimpy clothing and nudity are nothing all that strange, but to an average non-fashion knowledgeable person, even something relatively innocuous like a standard lingerie catalog can be perceived as highly sexual due to the overarching hyper-sexualization of our culture and mindsets. And to many people, if something is perceived as sexual outside of certain conditions, it is considered immoral, and the people involved with it's production are considered immoral also.

Oh yeah I see, I just think models need to develop confidence and not let what others say ruin them, it can be hard for models being criticised, I often hear a lot of people say that it depends on the type of modelling, every one is against glamour but consider high fashion nudes to be beautiful and tasteful.

Oh yeah I see, I just think models need to develop confidence and not let what others say ruin them, it can be hard for models being criticised, I often hear a lot of people say that it depends on the type of modelling, every one is against glamour but consider high fashion nudes to be beautiful and tasteful.
That brings up another issue: many people either do not know the difference or see no difference between different types of modeling. An average person may lump all types of modeling together. They may think of an artsy high fashion nude shoot the same way as they think of a bunch of pictures of a p*rn star because, once again, society's sex obsession won't allow them to see it differently. Thus, the most beautiful high fashion nude photos get reduced to "omg boobs!".

That brings up another issue: many people either do not know the difference or see no difference between different types of modeling. An average person may lump all types of modeling together. They may think of an artsy high fashion nude shoot the same way as they think of a bunch of pictures of a p*rn star because, once again, society's sex obsession won't allow them to see it differently. Thus, the most beautiful high fashion nude photos get reduced to "omg boobs!".

I suppose every one has a different mind set, I know that some photographers and speaking from my own experience will shoot nudes/ lingerie yet not lust after the model... some photographers are happily married and don't let them selves see models as sex objects :smile:

One big misconception I hear about a lot is that models are always secure with their looks and their bodies, when in fact they are probably the most insecure people on the planet because they are always being scrutinized for how they look/walk/dress/etc.

Some are secure and others aren't, they are just like normal people. Modelling helps develop confidence however I would say models who work hard will have insecurity about their abilities such as walk and poses, expressions, the ability to model and excel. It's just normal.

Other models may be modelling and not giving much thought to their looks.

Isn't it a myth that they all are vain. This is something that quite frankly annoys me, when they claim models are vain.

What are your thoughts?

Isn't it a myth that they all are vain. This is something that quite frankly annoys me, when they claim models are vain.

What are your thoughts?

I think calling someone 'vain' is hugely dependent on how you define it. Looks can reveal more than just the physical - discipline, nutrition, health etc.

I find it unfair when people say 'models care about looks in their partners more than other people do'. A smart person would likely want another smart person and that is OK but a good looking person can't want another good looking person without being called names?
Everyone is different regardless of their profession but if a good looking model wants to date another good looking person why is that 'bad'?

I think calling someone 'vain' is hugely dependent on how you define it. Looks can reveal more than just the physical - discipline, nutrition, health etc.

I find it unfair when people say 'models care about looks in their partners more than other people do'. A smart person would likely want another smart person and that is OK but a good looking person can't want another good looking person without being called names?
Everyone is different regardless of their profession but if a good looking model wants to date another good looking person why is that 'bad'?

I agree, there's no harm in dating another good looking person. I haven't ever heard of this misconception though, just about the vanity. Also, I think another misconception is that models are only models because of their looks, people seem to miss out they actually have a talent.

I think the vanity part is assumed based on modelling some times being a glamorous job so they think models are vain but of course it's far from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear so many people saying "Being a model is the easiest job ever, all you gotta do is walk down a runway and pose for pictures, so easy!" And I'm just like "You only see the glamous side of modelling. It really is a hard job." And they usually just laugh in my face:hardhead: Modelling is not just walking down the runway, it's much more...

I hear so many people saying "Being a model is the easiest job ever, all you gotta do is walk down a runway and pose for pictures, so easy!" And I'm just like "You only see the glamous side of modelling. It really is a hard job." And they usually just laugh in my face:hardhead: Modelling is not just walking down the runway, it's much more...

I completely agree with you! I think young girls think like this. This misconception also links in with the myth that models are thick. That is completely false because some of them are educated really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->