What did you buy today? Oct 2003 - Jul 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky you. I don't think there's even a single Margiela retailer in the entire Canada, let alone Toronto. :rolleyes: Talk about glamorous.

Oh the brigher side I just discovered a nice little place called i-cii here in downtown Toronto that carries a selected range of Belgian designers, including my beloved Dirk Schonberger :heart: . Finally. It's a tiny place so I don't think their discounts would be deep though, if they ever have discounts in the first place...

Oh and I just bought a Gucci maroon shirt for $10.51.

b0_1_b.JPG

Leather for a new bag...

I dont have a pic though.

:( .... Yet!

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 21st, 2004 - 11:19 am
Lucky you. I don't think there's even a single Margiela retailer in the entire Canada, let alone Toronto. :rolleyes: Talk about glamorous.

Oh the brigher side I just discovered a nice little place called i-cii here in downtown Toronto that carries a selected range of Belgian designers, including my beloved Dirk Schonberger :heart: . Finally. It's a tiny place so I don't think their discounts would be deep though, if they ever have discounts in the first place...
Cool. Who else do they have? Most definitely they should have sales, how else would they get rid of the left-over merch?

Originally posted by maarit@Apr 21st, 2004 - 10:42 am
2 CDs
Jet - Get Born
and
The Divine Comedy - Absent Friends
i need to get the new divine comedy...don't think it's out yet over here...will probbably pick it up in london

how is it?... :flower:

Originally posted by faust@Apr 21st, 2004 - 11:48 am
Cool. Who else do they have? Most definitely they should have sales, how else would they get rid of the left-over merch?
Oh, faust, that logic only applies to worldly metropolitans like NYC. Here in Toronto, where 99% of the buying public are perfectly content with buying Liz Claiborne :sick: from department stores, most specialty/upscale retailers don't have to rely on sales to survive. Once they're established with a steady clientele, they seldom have to worry about leftover merchandise because of the lack of competition. Those who're discerning/well-off enough to be interested in/afford these products don't have that many choices from which to buy them, and will gladly pay whatever price demanded.

That's exactly the case with Holt Renfrew, our one and only upscale department store. In NYC Saks have to compete with Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's, as well as stand-alone boutiques, but here Holt's basically monopolizes the entire upscale fashion retailing industry. They don't need competitive prices to surive. In fact, a pair of standard Patrick Cox Wannabe loafers - at most a $150 US item anywhere else in the world - can cost up to $300 at Holt's, because the rich suckers here simply don't know any better. :angry: Their idea of an annual sales extravaganza (starting on Dec 26th - boxing day for us Canucks) is a 20% reduction on lime green mohair designer sweaters conveniently available in XS or XXL. :ninja:

I'm not sure if Schonberger just raised his prices (again), or if i-cii is charging a particularly hefty mark-up, but most of the pieces I saw from his S/S 2004 seemed outrageously expensive. I suspect they simply have to command such a premium to exist because of their low-volume as a relatively new store. For men they also carry Comme des Garcons and Junya Watanabe, as well as some cult Japanese labels for women. The sales guy said they used to have Raf Simons for the past few seasons but for some mysterious reason stopped carrying him. :cry:

Here's their admittedly low-tech site. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

i-cii boutique

A little useless trivia: i-cii (pronounced E-Chi) means "one" in Japanese and "together" in Mandarin. The boutique also frequently hosts exhibitions and installations by local artists, designers, and architects. :mohawk:

Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 21st, 2004 - 12:51 pm
That's exactly the case with Holt Renfrew, our one and only upscale department store. In NYC Saks have to compete with Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's, as well as stand-alone boutiques, but here Holt's basically monopolizes the entire upscale fashion retailing industry. They don't need competitive prices to surive. In fact, a pair of standard Patrick Cox Wannabe loafers - at most a $150 US item anywhere else in the world - can cost up to $300 at Holt's, because the rich suckers here simply don't know any better. :angry: Their idea of an annual sales extravaganza (starting on Dec 26th - boxing day for us Canucks) is a 20% reduction on lime green mohair designer sweaters conveniently available in XS or XXL. :ninja:
I know what you mean about Holt Renfrew Orochian, their stuff is just crazily overpriced. As much as I like visiting their stores, there is no way that I could ever afford to shop there. I remember finding this one hat I liked for summer, a simple cotton thing. It was like $60! Maybe if they introduced a bit of competition like you suggested, Holts wouldn't be able to get away with what they do. :rolleyes:

orochian...

i know what you mean...when i was in vancouver in a small boutique...don't remember the name...they had margiela merchandise from 2YEARS earlier...not 2 seasons, 2 YEARS...and it was marked down, but only by a small percentage...my friend said she watches them pack them up every spring and then put them back out every fall...she keeps waiting for them to be reduced further and has spoken to the owner, but they won't mark them down...

i guess it's true...they have no competion in that city, so they can do what they like as long as people are willing to buy it... :ninja: the small boutiques are even worse with this, because they have a lower profit margin than dept stores, so they can't afford to take such big losses...therefore things rarely get drastically reduced...

thank goodness for stores like century 21...no wonder every editor rushes down there when they come for the shows...
:innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:22 pm
thank goodness for stores like century 21...no wonder every editor rushes down there when they come for the shows...
WORD! When Orochian comes to visit us in NYC, that's the first place we'll take him to!

Originally posted by faust+Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:27 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:27 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:22 pm
WORD! When Orochian comes to visit us in NYC, that's the first place we'll take him to! [/b][/quote]
LOL! Oh I've been there once.....and let's just say I left the store a broke but deliriously happy kid :P

went to Greenwich today, its in CT if u didnt already know, great shops

i got a julip green terry sheered tube Juicy Couture dress from Wishlist :heart:
and Lancome hair care stuff from Douglous

I bought two fantastic CDs today :

Under Byen - Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
Cat Power - What would the community think ?

I ordered this today. I think it's funny and will look great with my vintage YSL suit.

^^
That image is too small to make out. I'll try again.

BTW, Smashin I LOVE that bag!

I bought a bag two dais ago, all the kids who are gratuating at my country take one special day close to the exams, go out in costumes (we were hunny-bees), start drinking at about 8 in the morning, take a little "sleeping break" between 4 and 6 and then they all go down town to eat and dance :wink: dressed in their finest of course.

I needed a purse with my outfit (I was dressed in black and pink) so I bought this lovely little thing :heart: :heart:

m0005696.jpg

m0005697.jpg

Chanel Gardenia fragrance :heart:
NARS blush in Taj Majal
3 C&C tees in turquoise, yellow and salmon
Vintage acid green elastic belt
A pedicure :innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads