What do you own that is iconic/fashion history?

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
do you own anything that is fashion history or that set off a big trend? do you feel odd wearing it knowing that it is recognizable? do you worry that you might look dated?

here's a few things i own that i think is iconic.

christopher kane mandrill jersey shirt dress (netaporter)

chloe spring 2001 pinapple t shirt. i remember after this collection there was a flurry of knockoff t shirts that had strawberries, pineapples etc on them. (style)

ive thought about purchasing a pair of vivienne westwood pirate boots, but i dont want to date myself.

Attachments

• pineapple.jpg
    pineapple.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 4
  • mandrill1.jpg
    mandrill1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
it's a good thread lucy...
i'll come back and post once i think about it some more...

:flower:

I have a Nina Ricci coat from Olivier's first collection for the house (Fall 2007) I found it on ebay labeled "vintage" and when I recieved it I realized the tags matched the ones in stores :D I basically payed 10 dollars for a $2000+ coat
I'll post pics later~

^ wow that's beyond a stroke of luck. Very good find.

I like this thread... I too will have to think about it more.

I have two pieces from Karl Lagerfeld for Macy's and a Missoni for Target sweater but I don't think those count.

Lucy92 the questions are so interesting! I am waiting to read replies

I only have one jacket that might have set a trend because it appeared on a beautiful photo on Garance's blog and if I am not mistaken someone also did a DIY version of the jacket.
I believe it was mostly an "online" trend so very few people on the street can associate the jacket to the year and designer. Even if everyone was perfectly aware of the collection the jacket is from, I would still wear it as much as I do now because it is warm, informal, extremely comfortable and it stands out from all other black coats/jackets I see people wear.
Generally speaking, I would wear the iconic pieces I like (If I owned them! I have a never ending wishlist :P ) regardless how dated they look because to me they are extra-temporal (if the word even exists).
Hope I gave a decent answer :blush:

layna-rick-owens.jpg

Photo from Garance Dore

^^so---who is the designer pls?

i'm gonna say that my YSL vintage blk silk p*ssy bow blouse and blk velvet bolero vest are the most iconic pieces in my closet...
they are the epitome of what YSL stood for and all that peasant/ gypsy stuff...
and they still look really cool and modern when worn today...

i'll start with shoes. aggressive footwear and large platforms... big resurgence...
ann demeulemeester triple lace talon heels, they make me stand taller and never fail to scratch my inner goth. i will date them before they ever date me...;-)
celine clog wedges, pheobe philo's huge re-entry into the modern stratosphere.
garments that recalled and refined history:
celine sleeveless beige trench coat. trench's are nothing new but her touch made this something special. its so subtle, but the birds flew out of the box, once opened.
junya watanabe 2006 green reconstructed military jacket...peplum, zippers, asymmetric seaming and raw edges. no one does it better.

in memory of something i once owned and worth mentioning... norma kamali late 1970's big shoulder padded sweatshirt's in rich red and blue jewel tones. over 30 years and no doubt, would stand the test of time. would i feel dated wearing it, perhaps, but my dance card was always full when i wore it because those shoulder pads gave me confidence! i actually believe, had they survived the years, they would still be very relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that sticks out from my closet the most, are some pieces I have from McQueens S/S 10' collection, his last proper collection before he died, they still have the tags on because I'm frightened to wear them, there's about 7 or 8 pieces and I'm just petrified that when I wear them I'll spill something on them or i'll pull them or whatever else, one day I'll wear them, I swear! :angel:.

one more. chloe 2006. platforms came back with wooden wedges, really high ones, but as mary janes and pumps with ankle ties.

one more. chloe 2006. platforms came back with wooden wedges, really high ones, but as mary janes and pumps with ankle ties.

OMG, i wanted those!! i remember aldo in the US produced a knockoff, but at $120 i thought it was too much - then it quickly sold out. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->