Do you know anyone that doesn't like fashion?

I know a few, one of them is kind of extreme. She'll wear ripped trousers and even ripped underwear.. I don't really know why she cares so little. I guess she simlply focuses on other things... fine by me, but it looks bad.

I mean am WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too SICK of people thinking fashion=superficial, the human notion NEEEEEEEEEEEEED to change, I can't stand all the sterotypes against me arrrrrg.

No one I know HATES fashion but a lot of them just aren't interested in it

I guess I could say that my dad hates fashion as well...he HATES shopping for clothes...he will go in, grab some stuff, or have my mom pick it out, and leave within twenty minutes...

Oh dear. My brother is anti-fashion, he will wear the same outfit for a week to two weeks, and they include sweats (pants AND sweat shirt) and he will wear the same outfit for gym as he does the rest of the day, and he thinks that getting a can of Axe will help him not smell after PE (he has one PE at the end of each day, on Mondays they are the last two classes. He has the time, and we buy him tons of things, but he loses them so it's a miracle to see him wear two different shirts in one week, and the bad part is that he does not see anything disgusting about that.

A lot of people at my school were very anti-fashion, at my school it is acceptable to wear a North Face fleece, leggings and such, sweats, and Birkenstocks with socks. I admit to wearing sweats but that was because I didn't really have a lot of nicer stuff and it was December in Seattle, but I can safely say that all my sweats have been locked away to only be used for when I have to paint outdoors.

I live in a suburb of Seattle where the idea of fashion is the same as elsewhere, so it's not limited to hick towns. There was an article in a magazine about how people have the money but it's about comfort and not fashion. My suburb is very affluent, so people spend the money on expensive bags, but they don't seem to spend the money on the clothes, or they'll dump all their money into the same worthless trends-tons of boho chic, tons of leggings/chunky necklaces, looks that don't last, or they'll dump all their money into the typical teen stores.

80% people I know don't care about fashion or what they were, especially people from "hip-hop" community doesn't like fashion coz it's commercial thing for them.

I don't have a clear definition of what fashion is..

First, there's people that love to go shopping and know the entire A&F, AE, and Hollister stores like the back of their hands. They don't look original, but have an interest in clothing and what they wear.

Then, there's people who dress well, but don't have a clue who Marc Jacobs or Tom Ford is. They don't care about brands as they don't know much about them.

Finally, there are people who are interested in designers and runway shows, and do put an effort to look original (either wearing high end stuff or vintage or their own creations.. whatever it is) which is what I think most of the members on TFS are.

So depending on what fashion is, I either know* a very small number of people that like fashion (1 person - ME), or a very large number (almost my entire high school.)

*When I say know, I mean I have actually come into human contact with.

Doesn't like fashion? That's kinda general... We have to define fashion...

First of all to tell you the truth i'm the only person i know who trully cares. I know (and i mean know, not know their names) most of the designers, i know their work, their tendances, their history, i read Vogue (4 vogues actually Paris, US, Uk, Hellas) every month, i love TFS and style.com (i know almost everything by heart). I care, i read, i learn (to me it's knowledge, it's important knowledge, even if people think it's stupidity for airhead people:angry: ). Fashion, style, clothes are important, clothes make a statement. You show the world through fashion/clothes who you are, your personality, your mood, even your social status. I care about the details of the clothing, the history behind it, how it's been manifactured.

ALL of my friends (and i mean ALL) don't care, i mean they buy clothes, they put some effort on looking good, but they have NO idea about designers, tendances, history of fashion. They read magazines just to look at the pics and read how they can find a boyfriend (so much for us being airheads:angry: ).

In general NO, people don't care about fashion. For me fashion:heart: is art, is beauty, is expression, is individuality, is essential. Period.

Jane Loves Marc said:
does anyone in this hick town LIKE fashion is the question??

ditto

I'm definitely not one to criticize people about what their wearing, but everyone here in my "hick town" look pretty much the same. Everyone's basically in jeans & so many people I've spoken to don't know many high fashion designers, such as Marc Jacobs etc. Oh & tons of camo, since "huntin" and "muddin" are the best way to get 'er done around here. lol But then again who AM i to judge, I'm probably just very well dressed white trash. :wink:

yeah i do! My whole family doesnt do fashion they just buy comfortable and durable clothes. There is also Li who just wears black clothes that are comfy. These people astound me but i do fashion enough for all of them!

Most guys in hick town don't care about fashion and if they do people think they are strange. Girls are broken up into groups; Anti fashion girls who in a sense are followers because they all wear the same stuff from Hot Topic(which I believe is owned by the same people who own AE), then there are the country girls who have somewhat of a trashy take on fashion. All they wear are highwaisted wranglers and chew tobacco, Next we have the prepy girls who are with the guys who don't care about fashion , all they know about Louis Vuiton is that it has bags, they haven't seen the latest collections of chanel or dior yet they say they love it. Then we have the normal girls who just wanna look like everybody else so they wear jeans and tshirts. But then there are small minorities of kids who look at fashion more than surface value, but that's a very small population.

Fashion around me is COMPLICATED....
some of my friends would say they like fashion (girls) but even if i dont even consider myself a connaiseur, they are way far from being experts (one of them asked me once if monogram multicolor was by D&G, and then someone else realized TODAY that high waist belts are "in"...no comments)

Another issue that concers who CAN and CANNOT like fashion, is that if I ever said to someone else, other than my closest friends, that I LIKE fashion (LOVE and DIE FOR are words not even my closest friends would understand) I'd be considered to be gay.
how wrong is that???
about what "why fashion" said before, i think fashion is manytimes superficial and i still love it!being a little superficial doesnt make me a bad person :P
other than that i totally agree with "why fashion"... NO STREREOTYPES PLEASE!!!

I really do believe that demographics and lifestyle plays into fashion appreciation a great deal. I don't live in a hick town but we are certainly more of a working suburb community than a sophisticated city. As often as I live and breathe fashion into my own life I even have to take a step back and realize that many pieces are just way too fancy and impractical for where I live, regardless of how much I may adore them.

Plus, I'm a stay at home mom which offers me more time to read fashion magazines, surf the net, and be a little more neurotic about it than a lot of other people have time for. Although I have always loved clothing and shopping for it, I can't say that I would have the same level of devotion to every little detail of it if my time was occupied with more responsibilities like a demanding full time job. The catch 22 is that I would probably have more of a need for fashion if I had a job than I do now sitting around the house most of the time.

So I guess to answer the original question, I know plenty of people who are disinterested in fashion but it isn't surprising when you live in a city that doesn't exactly cultivate anything but the typical mall variety stores. Therefore, I can't say I blame them.

I also suffer from the champagne taste on a beer budget syndrome so when we are going through a rough time financially I tend to avoid looking at magazines or anything new because it only depresses me if I can't buy any of it. I don't consider it anti fashion, just out of sight out of mind.

Btw-I've gone through that whole anti fashion phase myself, boycotting beauty standards, etc. but you know, making a conscious effort to be anti fashion is still subscribing to fashion by acknowledging it. It reminds me of that brilliant monologue from Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada about how Annie's ugly blue sweater started with fashion trends at the very top. It is so true. I guess what I'm thinking is that I can understand why people are disinterested in fashion for a variety of reasons but I disagree that ripping out labels or refusing to buy certain trends/designers just for the sake of it is a disinterest in fashion or anti fashion at all.

A friend of mine desided she doesn't care about fashion after I couldn't help mentioning a couple of times that her clothing choises were so terrible I had an hard time looking at it (yes, it was that bad).

rangerrick14 said:
Most guys in hick town don't care about fashion and if they do people think they are strange. Girls are broken up into groups; Anti fashion girls who in a sense are followers because they all wear the same stuff from Hot Topic(which I believe is owned by the same people who own AE), then there are the country girls who have somewhat of a trashy take on fashion. All they wear are highwaisted wranglers and chew tobacco, Next we have the prepy girls who are with the guys who don't care about fashion , all they know about Louis Vuiton is that it has bags, they haven't seen the latest collections of chanel or dior yet they say they love it. Then we have the normal girls who just wanna look like everybody else so they wear jeans and tshirts. But then there are small minorities of kids who look at fashion more than surface value, but that's a very small population.

Wow, you hit everything directly on point! Hot Topic I believe is owned by The Gap, either way it's a bit strange. & not to sound big headed & egotistical, as if my style makes me so much more superior than everyone in my hick town...to me it's an extension of a person. First impressions mean alot, & what your wearing could tell alot about someone. The fashion scene here though is pretty boring, & that seems to prove that most of them are infact boring people. Well, to me cow tipping and muddin (for all the redneck tfs's) isn't what I'd call fun. "Southern" people are content in that way of life though, but for me I can't wait to get the heck out of it asap!

Last edited by a moderator:
My half-sister (41) doesn't care about fashion and she has never cared. I remember she was shocked when she saw me applying very pale, natural make-up, it was already too much for her. :lol: I feel really sorry for her, she looks so miserable in her clothes but you just can't change her.. :blush:

Definitely my dad. He thinks fashion is superficial as is everyone who is interested in it (although he knows I'm not) and a complete waste of time. Plus, he dresses so carelessly and almost sloppy and all my attempts to get him interested in fashion have failed until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->