What movies actually suprised you?

Reaction score
What movies were you not looking forward to going and seeing (eg you were forced to go see by your friends or boyfriend/girlfriend) but they actually suprised you and have become a favourite or just a suprisingly good trip to the movies?

My picks are:
Sin City - it was a really last minute choice for me and my friends and I was half hearted about it. But it probably one of the more interesting movies I've seen in the last couple of months.

Shawshank Redemption - a movie I had to analyse in High School. How could the teacher ever chose anything slightly cool or interesting for that matter? Well, I was shocked! because now it is one of my favourite films.

:flower:

When I heard that Phantom of the Opera was being made into a movie I didn't really want to see it, I was afraid that Hollywood was going to completly ruin one of my favorite musicals. Since there were mixed reviews I was even more hesitant. I went to see it with my friend (who's OBSESSED with the stage show) and I had a morbid curiosity. I was really pleasantly surprised. The movie wasn't perfect by any means (I cxould write about my issues with certain decisions on the pert of the director), but it managed to stay true to the spirit of the show and incorporate cinematic techniques. The costumes and sets were absolutely STUNNING. Even though I thought that Gerard Butler was miscast in the title role, Emmy Rossum more than made up for it, in terms of singing and acting. She even made a character who could have come off as a "damsel in distress" undergo a compliacted emotional journy. And Patrick Wilson, Minnie Driver, Simon Callow, Miranda Richardson, and Jennifer Ellison all did great work in their respective roles. I think that what was key was that the director understood that theater and film are such different mediums, and he used the medium of film to his advantage while staying true to the show's theatrical roots. It's een beautiful to look at- the cinamatography is excellent and the scenes are incredably lush...

025-site.jpg

080.jpg

066.jpg

Attachments

• 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 1
  • normal_115.jpg
    normal_115.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1
  • normal_027.jpg
    normal_027.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
Saw- Not as scary as I thought, but wow did the ending shock the crap out of me.

Friday Night Lights-I thought this film was so beautifully shot, and LOVED the music in this movie (Can't beat old school RUN DMC). The ending did surprise me because it was totally unexpected.

Donnie Darko- This is such a weird movie anyway, that anything in this movie would surprise you.

The United States of Leland- Violence begats Violence.

I usually only go see movies that I KNOW I have an interest in. I'm rarely impressed by movies, but I remember the Fast and the Furious 2 actually pulling me in. Good heavens. Who knew? :unsure:

^^LOL

I forgot to mention The Station Agent. This one I went to see with a friend because her film professor had free passes to it. All I knew was that it was about a dwarf who lives in an abandoned train station, and that it was a movie about trains. I was like "How can that possibly be interesting?". Well, as it turns out, it wasn't about trains so much as it was about people connecting to one another. The three main characters are all damaged in some way. The title character attempts to completely withdraw from social activity, but he manages to be involved in the lives of everyone he encounters. Each character is a 3 dimensional person, not a "type", and at the end of the movie their problems and issues don't magically go away. But there is a sense of connection, of moving forward. You feel like their lives don't stop just because the movie is over. In one sense it's a very spare film, and in another sense it's tremendously rich. It also has some great performances, especially by Patricia Clarkson (a brilliant, underrated actress, IMO)
StationAgent_1.jpg
station_agent.jpg

station_agent_01.jpg
station_agent_02.jpg

Attachments

• station%20agent.jpg
    station%20agent.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
lostgirl said:
^^LOL

I forgot to mention The Station Agent. This one I went to see with a friend because her film professor had free passes to it. All I knew was that it was about a dwarf who lives in an abandoned train station, and that it was a movie about trains. I was like "How can that possibly be interesting?". Well, as it turns out, it wasn't about trains so much as it was about people connecting to one another. The three main characters are all damaged in some way. The title character attempts to completely withdraw from social activity, but he manages to be involved in the lives of everyone he encounters. Each character is a 3 dimensional person, not a "type", and at the end of the movie their problems and issues don't magically go away. But there is a sense of connection, of moving forward. You feel like their lives don't stop just because the movie is over. In one sense it's a very spare film, and in another sense it's tremendously rich. It also has some great performances, especially by Patricia Clarkson (a brilliant, underrated actress, IMO)
StationAgent_1.jpg
station_agent.jpg

station_agent_01.jpg
station_agent_02.jpg

Oh my friend is a total geek & he downloads a lot of movies, so i was like i'm gonna take a few of these dvd's and i'll bring them later. Very surprised, very good movie, very good acting & a not-so-expected ending.

http://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&c...lediariesmovie.com/&ei=M-8mQ-CXG43O4QGohsWKBw

Erin said:
I usually only go see movies that I KNOW I have an interest in. I'm rarely impressed by movies, but I remember the Fast and the Furious 2 actually pulling me in. Good heavens. Who knew? :unsure:

lol but I'm sure you were going in saying "aim low! that's the way to go!" lol

Actually the first Fast and the Furious I enjoyed... when I thought it would be such a 'guy film' hehe.

OMG I saw the station agent on one of the movie channels and I was surprised that I never changed the channel! It's a very heartwarming story! I was surprised I liked it too^_^

Star Wars Original Trilogy (the re-releases) & Pirates of the Caribbean :heart:
I was talked into going to see both and thought they'd be boring, then got hooked at the opening scenes. Now I can watch them over and over again.

Sideways. Thought the first few minutes were boring, but then I really got into it. Watched it again in the theater the following day.

Lostgirl, i was totally hesitant whether or not to see Phantom of the Opera..but i LOVED it hehe i thought it was so well done , and agree with everything you said in post #2..
A movie i seen recently was Jonny Depps Charlie and the Chocolate..was fantastic !! I thought it would rewin the hole idea of Charlie and the Chocolate factory and give a different immpression to the younger generation of the movie. But i was so pleased and i really enjoyed it =)

fashionicon said:
Saw- Not as scary as I thought, but wow did the ending shock the crap out of me.

I totally agree. I initially had no interest in seeing Saw, as it just looked and sounded like another slasher movie.

It was surprisingly different and REALLY good. And the end shocked the hell outta me too.

xXx-Usually I hate these kind of flicks!
The Terminal-I like Tom Hanks, but I thought this was just crap.It was actually very entertaining.
Hannibal-I don't know why I like it, because at the same time I know it's crap.
Pirates of the Caribbean- This was the last thing I was going to go to see. The actual film is quite rubbish, and I just can't stand both Bloom and Knightley, but because of Depp's performance, I have never laughed that much during a film!

have to agree with the Shawshank Redemption, was only a kid and at the time prison movies were *boring* but my brother made me sit through it and I got so caught up I was cheering at the end.

Shaun of the dead, i was forced by my friend who wanted to see it, i though that was boring at first(a story with a lot of zombies...) but that was so funny...I LOVE!

Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray, musical comedies in general. I must have been scarred by a bad experience with one, sometime early on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->