Whats your Fashion Career?

I honestly had no idea there were so many jobs in the industry. Me and my friend Kyra both want to be designers so we are planning on moving to NYC and go to fashion school and parter up and become fashion designers. We have no idea where to go from there but we will probuably learn in school.

I'm torn between being a doctor or just screwing my medical studies and become a fashion designer. :cry:

Rachelle said:
I'm torn between being a doctor or just screwing my medical studies and become a fashion designer. :cry:

thats a pretty big difference.... but you know, some people on another thread were commenting that they find they like fashion better when they aren't *in* the industry. because being in the industry sometimes turns you off... you can get really sick of it. and think of it this way: being in the industry won't afford you to really buy any cool stuff, but being a doctor you can get all the yummy clothes you want B)

ooo..i've been seriously considering taking up Law. Is it really as boring as people say though? i think i will be able to keep up with the workload i just kep hearing off people how boring it is and how much it becomes a chore to have to study. please can you tell me more about it :D p.s wich school do you go to? and do ou recommend it? please send me a message or leave the comment on this board :D thanxx

Vickie xx x xx

hhmm yanno if i did go into fashion i feel like i'd want to move to a big state in USA ( im currently in nowere in england) but the only thing is...the change..yano just packing up and moving..if any1 has done this transaction or has moved from somewere else..what was it like ben in a completely different country/city?

i took law&society (at university) for a year and decided i should switch to something more *me* so i'm taking Image Consulting courses in summer school and going for Fashion&Merchendising beginning this autumn..very exciting!! i'm also going to work as a stylist/wardrobe consultant at the end of summer.

Reading History of Art and Management at Uni... will probably intern at some museum in Manhattan/Paris (though I'd have to work at my French...) but I'd like to try my hand at anything fashion-related.

I know LVMH is looking for graduates with complementary degrees... but I'm not sure that an Art History BA will be sufficient in terms of fashion-related background. Any words of wisdom?

for those who are in the Philippines,
i had been working for four long years as managing editor for a major weddings magazine here called METRO WEDDINGS (by ABSCBN).
but as of last july, i ceased working for them and am just taking my time with my kids (one is still a baby) and doing a bit of travelling as well as freelancing for other magazines. I got burnt out somehow after being in the weddings publishing industry after four years, plus had some disagreement with management, so mutually called my contract quits.
it was certainly a great experience, something i am very grateful for. learned so much from that company, but time to move on and prioritize the family especially with 2 kids-- toddler and baby :smile:

I start doing womenswear in September so watch this space for the future

I'm studying environment science,but I'm not sure if I really like it:(

i like this thread- lets keep it goin......
what do you do? any rips for people wanting to work in the fashion ind..

mishahoi said:
thats a pretty big difference.... but you know, some people on another thread were commenting that they find they like fashion better when they aren't *in* the industry. because being in the industry sometimes turns you off... you can get really sick of it. and think of it this way: being in the industry won't afford you to really buy any cool stuff, but being a doctor you can get all the yummy clothes you want B)
This is a very cool comment. But being a fashion designer and a doctor or an engineer is so different, that's why there is such a magnetic attraction. The only worry to become a designer for me is that there is no universial standard for assessing an art work in the fashion world. It seems a bit insecure,.........and quite a challenge to survive in the fashion world so full of talents that wish to make a success.

This thread is great. Thanks to all of u guys for sharing ur inspirational stories with us! :flower:

I'm majoring in Finance and I'm a junior so I have one year left. I'm enjoying finance but I chose it because I had no idea what I wanted to do when I graduate and I thought it would be the broadest major to take, simply because of the nature of the courses and the amount of information that I get from them. I'd like to work in retail or merchandising when I graduate, so I am trying to get my summer internship at a fashion distribution company. I have a few applications out and hope to get an answer soon. I mean even though I don't have a degree in fashion, experience is a good way to get there I think and an internship could only help

keep the advice coming it's great!

I'm studying Visual art now but will go into Textile Art in the fall.
I'd like to be a textile designer... making patterns for wallpapers, on furniture and clothing/accessories... Afterwards I'll study garment construction and maybe wander around the country, working at those vintage and costume shops, trying to make vintage piece replicates and costumes for plays and movies. I'll just try to put my work everywhere *o*
I'll also do book illustration on the side. I want to make drawings for manuals and health magazines... Maybe I'll also publish my own books at a House (I've already published 3 during high school^_^). My friend will also be studying fashion design this fall, so when he finishes, we'll end up working together with his English friend...

I'd like to be one of those artists, like Picasso and Matisse--they start in painting, but their work can branch into any other medium (photography, film, accessories...). I remember Picasso used to make funny posters for restaurants and even birthday cards, and Matisse painted stain glass for churches.
Hopefully I'll end up in a design team. Forkbeard Fantasy is one of those interesting ones I admire

What about you JR1? ----fashion illustrator?:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->