Advice: Education & Career Goals (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Hello everyone,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. Next year I get out of the military, my intent is to go to school...FIT is my first choice. However, I am feeling a bit doubtful about my chances of getting in. I graduated high school with a dismally low gpa (2.7 weighted) and took a quarter at the local community college shortly thereafter and did mediocre (Bs in math and english, an A in computers, but an F in psychology). That was six years ago. Since then I joined the military to pay for school. During my time in I have done nothing but feign to work in the industry and go to FIT, but I fear that my grades will hold me back. I really do not want to waste a year or two going to a community college taking courses that won't even transfer over or have no relation to my intended major, fashion merchandising. However, if that's what I have to do, then I will suck it up and do it. I am wondering if I should go ahead and apply to FIT or not even waste my time. I hear it is super competitive, but then I talk to a friend that graduated with a business degree and he said it is uber easy to get in as long as you communicate your dedication and passion to fashion.

Also, I wonder what type of places people work while going to school there. I mean, its been six years since I had retail experience. Although I was good, very good actually, as a sales associate at a mass market retailer I want to eventually work in the luxury segment. Should I just put in applications at the retailers I want to work for or start out in the mass or bridge market to get my feet wet again. The thing about it is, that I am really looking for a company I could ultimately work for throughout college, so I've been contemplating looking at an internship like arrangement with a luxury brand on a very part time basis while I work in the mass market until I get back into the swing of things.

Any guidance, suggestions, encouragement, or critiques you all have is greatly appreciated!

Fashion Styling Education

Hey everyone!

I wanted to hear your thoughts on places where a fashion stylist could receive more education or training?

I'm looking at the International Image Institute in Toronto, Canada for further training on image consulting/holistic consulting. I've also thought about attending Istituto Marangoni's Bachelor's program for Fashion Styling in London or taking Fashion Business/Business Management.

Please excuse me if this should be posted in an older thread...

As far as my background goes...
I am based in California, USA.
I was an apprentice for 2 years under a fashion director of a production company. I then received a fashion styling certificate in LA, and I'm close to finishing my Associate's Degree for Fashion Design. I've also been freelancing on my own and have built a portfolio. :smile:

We have a huge, 2 part thread about how to become a stylist.

Bottom line .... most stylists have never been to school for this career ... they sort of fall into it from other sources.

The best training is assisting another stylist .... see these threads for tons of information:

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2

Plus, if you search this forum (Careers & Education) with the keyword stylist, you'll find a few other applicable threads about some of the details of "how to style".

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a huge, 2 part thread about how to become a stylist.

Bottom line .... most stylists have never been to school for this career ... they sort of fall into it from other sources.

The best training is assisting another stylist .... see these threads for tons of information:

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2

Plus, if you search this forum (Careers & Education) with the keyword stylist, you'll find a few other applicable threads about some of the details of "how to style".

Thank you!

On Studying Fashion

Dear guys,
After graduating from Naval Architecture and doing an MA in Political Science, I just began doing PhD in Philosophy. But what lies inside my heart is art, particularly fashion. I would like to apply to some fashion institutes in Paris but I feel a little old for this. I need some encouragement I think. I can design, I speak several languages and I know I have the capacity to create but I still have doubts. What do you think? Bisous,:blush:

You are never to "old" to pursue something that you are passionate about. Yeah ... you might have an extra challenge or two ... but most of that will be in your own mind. Do your homework ... find out what they look for in students .... and remember that "maturity" is actually a positive attribute. Then, go for it!!

Hello everyone! Currently I'm an in 8th semester of architecture, however, I started to lean more towards writing a while ago. In fear of disappointing my parents who'd already invested so much in my studies, I just kept going with architecture, since I do pretty well and don't necessarily dislike it. I've been writing for a fashion magazine in my country (Mexico) for the past couple of months, and have received really good feedback. Anytime I've done well on an architectural project, I've been satisfied and frankly, glad it's over. But getting a "good job" from my editor excites me and is infinitely more fulfulling. I don't want to drop out now that I have only 2 semesters left to graduate, but should I study journalism once I finish? How necessary is having a diploma directly related to fashion to work in the industry as a writer? Should I try to get an internship this summer? With graduation looming I'm getting more and more anxious about my future paychecks (or lack thereof). Thanks!

I agree that you should complete your degree. It's important even if you never become an architect because it's still showing the you can complete a rigorous course of studies, which is always a positive thing when viewed by prospective employers. I think you have the best resource ever to answer your question about whether or not to study some journalism ... your boss. You should ask her (him?) what education they look for when they hire writers and/or what course does she think would be helpful to you. Ask if journalism classes would strengthen you resume when you are out there looking for work where you can write. It's always a good idea to let you boss know you long term goals, anyway. If they like you and your work, they will be able to help by advising you and down the road maybe introducing you to people who could be prospective employers or even promoting you within the publication you already write for.

Journalism is more about gathering facts to present in periodicals and news stories .... and less about actually writing ... so you need to make sure that journalism is what you need to study. We have a thread about this topic in this Careers forum ... just use the Search function ...keyword: journalism.

Magazine Internship - Fact Checker or Fashion Closet?

Hello TFS Ladies,

I need a little help selecting between these two internships at a magazine. I do both fashion styling and writing freelance so I am looking more to pick the most strategic one in terms of forming relationships and figuring out how to maneuver in the magazine. I'd like to get into a Fashion Editor role down then line with this magazine.

Any responses appreciated. I need to let the staff know by Friday. Thanks!:heart:

A "Fashion Editor" is not usually a writer, they are usually just a stylist.

So, I think "Fashion Closet" would be the place where you can make the best contacts. You will most likely come in contact with the fashion editor(s), their assistants, designer's reps, and possibly photographers, too. The sort of people who a Fashion Editor needs to know in order to put a photo shoot together.

Being a"Fact checker" is pretty solitary work, I think. It's checking up on what the writers have written, to make sure they have their facts right ... so it's neither styling nor writing. It's research .... or journalism, at a very basic level.

Haute couture

How and where can I learn to sew clothes like they do in Haute couture? I have never been interested in fashion before but in drawing, but those clothes are just beautiful and works of art.

I didn't really find any information about this on the internet, other than some people from Ecole de la chambre syndicale started working at Dior etc. A school that is focused more on design (?) and is in french.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

It takes years and years to learn how to do this. It's very, very specialized. Most go this route: first a fashion design degree at a highly accredited fashion school that has courses in haute couture, graduate at the top of your class, then probably an internship/apprenticship at a Haute Couture house. (I think that there are only about 6 Haute Couture houses left). Then a job ... and years and years of learning the techniques and getting moved up on the job. Yes ... you probably would have to become fluent in French, first. And you would have to compete against thousands of other fashion school grads for the privilege of getting that internship in the first place.

Most of these creations are done be a team of experts ... pattern makers, lace makers, craftspeople who do the beading, pleating, trims, etc., everyone has a specialty. So, if you have great skills in one area, there's a tiny chance to become an apprentice to one of these craftspeople ... and you can have an in that way. But you will probably stay within your one craft for life.

So, if you are serious about this ... start with finding a great fashion school, and work on your sewing and drawing skills in the meantime. Even getting into fashion school is very, very competitive .... they take only the most talented and skilled.

We have lots of thread here, about various fashion schools ... a few in Paris, where you would probably want to be ... but also Parsons and FIT are considered good fashion schools, too ... if you must stay US based.

DAAW! :'( I live in Sweden and since eduaction is free here I have no money saved for super awesome fashion schools. I've heard the one with best reputation here is Borås. Is there some way to learn the craft by yourself? Or by books, videos? Or are the techniques so secret only apprentices are shown?

I don't know of any specific resources .... but I'm sure there are books and maybe some videos. Can you get access to any fashion school libraries? That might be a way to find some resources.

I need some advice!
I graduated from college a year ago with a degree in fashion business. I've applied to many places since then and have only had one interview which was for a position that I was ultimately not qualified for.

Right now I'm working part time in retail for a good fashion brand. Here's the thing, I LOVE my job. I love the people, the clothes, and I love the responsibilty that they trust me with. However this job doesn't pay well and it's difficult to get promoted.

So now I have two choices based on my lack of feedback from the jobs I want. I could either
1. Get a second part time job in an office for administrative experience which is something that most jobs that I have been applying to have wanted. I get to keep my retail job a bit longer and hopefully gain the skills that I need from my second job to get more interviews.

2. Or, I could lower my expectations in my full time job search and pretty much apply to jobs that I don't really like. I'm picky about the companies that I want to work for and even though I've been applying to entry level positions at great companies with no response I really don't want to settle for a company that I know nothing about.

I'm just confused on what to do. I don't mind working two jobs because I've done that before and I don't want to leave my retail job. But I don't know if i should just put off my goals in working for my dream companies for a few years and settle for other companies.

You didn't say what "dream companies" ... but if it's the kind of companies the everyone aspires to join, then you have to find a way to outshine the competition, both on the CV/resume and in person, if you get an interview. That, I think is why you are proposing these two options.

Here are a few thoughts that I have on some of the things you said ... maybe my comments might lead you to see it in a clearer light for reaching your goals:

- Is the job you have helping you in any way to reach your goal? Is the experience helpful in any way, will it look good on a resume, are you learning about the "business" of retail?

- You do say you love your job, but it doesn't pay enough. High end retail can pay quite well ... if you are a great sales person at the right shop in the right neighborhood and if you have created a following. But you have to build up to getting clientele ... it takes time and persistence. Do you want a career as a sales person ( a well paid one), or is that out of the question?

- You said that they wanted more "administrative experience" ... so I'd work hard to get that, any way you can.

- If you need to get that experience, I would certainly keep applying to all the top companies that are your preference, but most likely you will have to start on a lower rung, even for entry level jobs. So, I would suggest that you apply for every job ... full or part time, at any viable company and see what happens. You really don't have to make a decision about your retail job, until you get a job offer or two. And you don't have to accept a job if you don't like the company.

- If you get an interview at any company, you should be doing research about them anyway, to impress the interviewer about your knowledge and passion to work for them. That research will help you decide, should they eventually make an offer.

- Rarely does anyone stay at one company for a long time, so future employers will expect to see job changes in your career, as long as the moves better your position each time. It's OK to start at a less than stellar company, then leave to accept a better job at a better company later. It's all valuable experience, good or bad.

Food for thought .... hope it helps some.

Thanks so much BetteT! I'll clarify on some things..
The dream companies I want to work for would be Conde Nast, Hearst and Twitter. I'm from Chicago and both Conde & Hearst have entry-level sales assistant positions. Twitter also have some great options for recent grads as well.
I'm a sales person and I would say it definitely helped me become a better communicator and speaker. I'm also in charge of all of the visuals at my store which is something I never thought I would like but I ended up loving it soo much so I am also considering visual coordinator jobs.
But I do not want to "move up" in retail. If it wasn't for the employees, visual responsibilities and my confidence in talking to clients I would have left a while ago.
So I do have the sales experience for the sales assistant job I want but the only administrative experience I have is from a 3 month internship with Chanel working in their offices.
Whenever I come across job positions that I'm qualified for it usually ends up being at new, startup companies which makes me really hesitant to apply. I'm looking into part-time administrative jobs at nearby colleges for now. I do like your advice about applying to both part-time and full-time and see what happens with that.

Here's a another thought .... Public Relations.

The skills needed are: the ability to write, being able to work in a fast paced environment, organizing skills (for setting up parties, shows and events), and the ability to communicate well with all types of people. It seems to me that you might have some or all of these skills .....

Is an AAS enough?

Hi! Just looking for some advice...

I'm almost 23, and have been volunteering in my local fashion industry for the last 3 years (experience includes: styling shoots, styling fashion shows, curating a fashion history exhibit, social media for local fashion festival). During this time, I have also worked as an admin assistant/receptionist, but have no formal education past high school and a weekend styling course.

I've been accepted into Parsons' Fashion Marketing AAS for the fall. I think I can afford to do this program and graduate with minimal student debt, which is important to me. However, if I do this program, I likely won't be able to afford anything further education. Is an AAS and as many internships as I can possibly manage enough? Or should I be thinking about going somewhere cheaper (I've also applied to FIT and Ryerson).

I personally think an AAS is enough BUT I also have a BS. In Psychology. My AAS is in Fashion Merchandising Management from FIT. I will say that most people in fashion have a degree in something outside of fashion and/or didn't even go to a fashion school (with the exception of trained designers, obvi.) I think that fashion (in my experience) is all about who you know and what you have to offer, not necessarily what degrees you hold. (This is relative to the field in fashion.) I was going to get a Bachelor's in FMM but my career advisors at FIT advised me that it was not necessary since I already had one.

My advice: Get some great internships, network (dreadful for me, I'm an introvert) but if it's your strong suit, then work your magic, and learn as much as you can. Go above and beyond and if you decide to attend Parsons (a great school) then be at the top of your class. I'm not sure how it is at Parsons, but a lot of the teachers at FIT used to work in the industry and have major connections so utilize them as a tool as well.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->