Advice: Education & Career Goals (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Grad school in New York?

I need advice about the advantages of post-secondary education versus "real-world" experience. I aspire to be a fashion editor, and am finishing my Bachelor's in English at a school in my hometown in Kentucky. After I graduate, I plan on moving to a larger city in the South to further build my portfolio and get more experience in publishing through internships, etc, because I know I'm just not quite ready yet for New York.

My question is, should I pursue some sort of Master's degree or certificate program in New York, or should I just move there after a couple of years and try and get more internships or entry-level positions? I know competition is fierce, and I feel like something like NYU's M.S. in Publishing might give me an edge (especially because so many internships require you to be in school), but I'm not sure if it would actually be worth it. Does anyone have any advice, or recommendations? I want to make up my mind about post-grad education soon so I can prepare for it if necessary.

Thanks for any help!!

First ... let me ask you this: by "Fashion Editor" do you mean a stylist for an fashion magazine? Because that is what a "fashon editor" is: a fashion stylist who is on payroll at the magazine (as opposed to being a freelance stylist) ... but most people don't know that. That is a very different skill set from being in "publishing" as in journalism or management of a magazine.

Or do you want to write and report? That's journalism.

If you want to be the Editor in Chief of a fashion magazine, that's a realy specialized talent ... it's management along with a good eye for what you want to magazine to be.

There are sooo many different career paths in publishing. I think that perhaps you might want to read these threads to learn about all of this, then you can focus on the actual path you want to take.

Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing
What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?
How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

Fashion Journalism

All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist
All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist #2
A Day in the Life of a Fashion Stylist
Shooting Stories for a Stylist's /Fashion Editor's Portfolio

Working as an Assistant (for a Magazine, Publicist, Photographer, Stylist, etc.)

Some career paths at a fashion magazine require schooling but not all. However, almost all of them are about who you know. So internships are essential. But entry level jobs can be just as helpful. Getting in is the hard part, so it's often easier to intern, if you are at a reputable school (not necessarily a fashion school, but it has to be related to the department in which you want to intern). And, in fact, the US labor law says that unpaid interns must be getting college credits if they are not paid. So, being in school is pretty important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am interested in being a fashion editor, not a fashion journalist. I've been through some of those forums (and tried but failed to search for more specific info about grad schools/programs in New York that might suit my chosen path), but will certainly go back through some others that I hadn't seen. Even though being a fashion editor doesn't require a masters, it seems like post-graduate education may be beneficial for getting internships and networking.

Thanks for the advice!

There really isn't a course of study to become a fashion editor/stylist. Most just have liberal arts backgrounds, often Art History or something like that. Some might have have fashion design degreees, but that's not a prerquisite. Some dont have even have n under grad degree ... so it's not the degree that get's you there, as you have determined. It's getting in the door.

Most fashion editors got thier jobs at fashion magazines because they were connected socially (not social media, I mean they grew up with the families of the right people, went to the "right" schools, and so on). Of course, they still had to demonstrate that they had the skills ... a good eye, a strong work ethic, the ability to use their connections to make things happen and good managerial skills too. They still worked up to their positions .... you don't come out of school and get a job as a fashion editor. Interning gets you in the door. Assisting is probably the best way to learn the skills.

So, without the connections, you will need to intern so you are correct ... school can help. Id say you should focus on finding a shcool and courses which will connect you with possible internships in NY fashion mags. I'd start with FIT and Parsons, of course but maybe even Columbia (Art History?) and ask them about their intership programs and how you can get involved. They will probably be able to tell you what your options are to even apply to their internship programs.

Transferring from FIT to Parsons

Hey guys, I am currently a sophomore at FIT studying fashion design, graduating in May with my AAS. I am applying to transfer to Parsons as well as schools in London....I was wondering if anyone here has transferred from FIT to Parsons and could share their experience with me. I am having some self-doubts but at the same time I do not see myself continuing at FIT. Thanks!

Graduate Programs in Fashion Business Management/Merchandising?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question, please move it if necessary.

I'm applying to grad school next year and want to get a master's in fashion business management/merchandising (something relating to the business side of fashion). However, I've 2 problems.

1)My BA degree is not fashion or anything related to art/design at all. It's international studies.

2)I've no background in business/finance. What's the possibility of me getting into a master's or MBA program in fashion merchandising, etc. ?

What should I do? My school doesn't have a major in fashion, so should I get another bachelor's degree from another school in fashion?

Any ideas?

Here are some related threads that might have some helpful information:

Fashion merchandising as a career: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/fashion-merchandising-58558.html?highlight=merchandising

Business Grads in Fashion: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...ashion-industry-54899.html?highlight=business

Links to sites to Learn about Business and Tech in Fashion: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...aspects-fashion-84959.html?highlight=business

And merging with an existing thread where members ask for help in making decisions regarding school and careers.

Hi I am new on here., been a little scared to post hehe. I am 18 and will be leaving school for uni next year. I am interested in getting into the industry mainly as a photographer but I have considered some other options. I want to go to CSM to do an art foundation but I am not really sure. Does anyone have any advice? Like how was it for others who now work in the industry? and how did you go about breaking into the industry and applying for elite schools? Any advice would help. Thank you :smile:

Welcome to tFS!!

Anything in fashion is very, very competitive. Even getting into the right school. Here are some threads that might give you some insight:

Thread about grades needed to apply: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/how-important-grades-when-applying-fashion-school-66336.html

Next, getting into CSM ... I suggest the you spend some time reading the CSM thread because there's likely some comments about the school and their requirements. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/central-saint-martins-csm-london-28747.html

It's like any good school ... go to their site and see what their requirements are and know that you have to knock their socks off as far as impressing them, when you apply.

Any fashion School will want to see a portfolio, to see your ideas and skills so far. And I'm guessing here, but I think that it can be your own photos, sketches of fashion ideas, idea boards .... pretty much anything that shows your interests and skills. Of course it would depend on your interests and goals within the school.

Thread about School Portfolios: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f9...ng-fashion-school-after-graduation-33663.html

And a thread about fashion photography schools: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/all-about-fashion-photography-schools-54919.html

Lastly ... there are many different ways to get into fashion. School is not the only way. But you need the skills ... so if you want to be a designer or a photographer, you'll do best with some serious education to get the technical skills. But also, in fashion a lot depends on who you know ... so networking when you are in school by interning and working the system is vital for your future.

Hope this helps a little and gives you a starting point to do your research. . Your question is very broad with probably thousands of applicable answers ... so it can't be summed up easily.

^Thank you! This is really good advice and a good starting point for me. I am actually very scared about trying to break into fashion so I need all the help I can get :smile:

Hey so I need a little bit of advice in this area! I have no idea what I'd like to do when I "grow up" or anything.So I'm very interested in doing graphic design, I've only taken one month course last summer in Parsons and I think I did pretty well, the only problem is I don't know if I'm a very "creative" person exactly, I mean I'm always doodling and like to use Photoshop but I'm afraid I'm not the most talented in that area? I'm very good at math and science and for the longest time I was thinking of studying marketing/statistics but it's not something I'm that passionate about. I really liked the month I was doing graphic design, but I am conscious about the fact that I have little to no experience. I was thinking about transferring to some unis in the states/Europe next spring semester for art schools that don't require a portfolio (like L'École de design Nantes Atlantique in France) and I was just wondering if this is a good idea or if someone had experience with graphic design? I'd love to work for a magazine maybe. I'm sorry if this isn't right to post here but I'm really desperate and at and my wits end :/

Seems to me that if you like computers and math but are not creative that perhaps you are more of a "left brained" person. Which may mean that you like the process and like to solve problems. Perhaps look into photo retouching because that requires a good eye and a skilled knowledge of Photoshop but you don't have to actually create.

Here is a thread about schools for visual arts and graphic design, in case you would like to see some other options: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/visual-arts-graphic-design-schools-45331.html

xoxoadore, think about programming/webdesign too. It's more about resolving technical problems than creative ones. You could get both done by yourself or work with designers.

xoxoadore, think about programming/webdesign too. It's more about resolving technical problems than creative ones. You could get both done by yourself or work with designers.

I actually haven't considered that, thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying to search now about it but it seems that (just like graphic design) the portfolio is what makes it happen. Do you know if people usually get a degree in this or is this people usually learn on their own?

Hi all!
I have recently left school a few months ago and was hoping to go to university to study chemistry but unfortunately that hasn't worked out for me (I needed an A in biology to be accepted onto my chosen course and annoyingly got a B by just a few marks). So anyway now I'm taking a "gap year" to decide what I want to do now.
I have always been very interested in fashion and I am considering my options of studying it at university (quite a contrast to chemistry, I know!). But my school background is very science heavy. I have always been fairly talented at art but I didn't study the subject at as high a level as chemistry and maths, for example.
I am looking at degrees that focus on the business side of fashion such as buying and public relations but I am not sure how art based these degrees are. Would I be required to show a portfolio? I have had some of my photography published in international publications and wrote some articles for newspapers in my country but that's as far as my "art" experience goes.
One of my friends is moving to London for her modelling career and I'm considering moving in with her for a few months and maybe taking one of the short courses at CSM?

If it's fashion you love, then, by all means, try a fashion school if you wish to be immersed with fashion and hang with students trying to become designers. Each school will outline what you need for admission, so check their sites to see if a portfolio is even needed for these business related subject.

Buying and PR are not exclusively or even mainly "fashion" subjects. Any good business school can be a great source for courses on marketing/buying ... which is primarily just numbers and statistics. And a good liberal arts education will lead you the right way for PR ... which is mainly writing press releases and organizing and managing events, etc. You'd probably have a better chance of getting into these courses than in a fashion school, they are probably more extensive courses and provide a better education .... and they can certainly be used to find internships in the fashion world, too, which is where you begin to make the connections you will need, if you wish to work in fashion.

I actually haven't considered that, thanks for the recommendations! I'm trying to search now about it but it seems that (just like graphic design) the portfolio is what makes it happen. Do you know if people usually get a degree in this or is this people usually learn on their own?

They can, bus as far as I know programmers, they got their degree mostly from technically oriented universities, so the portfolio is not needed. Unfortunately you don't get any design related knowledge there, for this you would have to apply to some art/design university course.
But on the other hand I know a lot of self-learners, because one definitely can learn programming by his/her own, you just have to be a more technical guy, which you are as you mentioned. :wink: And any knowledge about design (and talent/creativity of course) would allow you to be both, designer and programmer, which in practice means you could study to make websites/phone apps etc. all by your own, independently.

I dunno if this is the right thread for this question, but on a scale from 1-10: how useful would you all say the FIT and Parsons associate degree programs are for those looking to break into fashion? I'm thinking Journalism or PR specifically. I know its a tough, dang near impossible field to break into any way you look at it, but is the steep, steep debt (at least in the case of Parsons) really going to introduce you to the ideas, the concepts, and, most importantly, the people that lead to those highly coveted positions at major firms, houses, and magazines?

I just graduated with average debt from a four year state school, and needless to say, I'm leery at the idea of spending twice what it cost me for FOUR years of a liberal arts degree on one year at fashion school!

hi guys
don't even know where to start...
I have a bachelor's degree in economics, I worked in various international companies but not fashion related ones and with my last job I realised I am so done, I so wanna pursue my career in fashion and I really want to get masters, preferably do it in NY. I wanna both study and work as I am planning to do it on my own finance wise. I have someone who has gone through the whole thing from the very beginning and is doing very well but it had nothing to do with fashion business at all, I am starting to collect information, so thought it's worth asking here. How realisic is it? I know it's a LOT of work and maybe a crazy decision but this is smth I have always wanted to do and feel like if it doesn't happen now, it will never happen and I will regret it tremendously. How realistic is it to get a loan from banks for the purpose of paying for university? I know banks consider a lot of factors and for example my "someone" got offers from several banks as her university was one of the tops and its graduates have very decent income to say the least. But I don't know how it works for fashion related educational institutions. What else will I need? I know I have to pass TOEFL first of all as I am from Russia, then I will have to be ready to write an essay... What else is crucial that I've missed? And most importantly what program I should consider given my first education (I am an economist, major in accounting, analysis and audit)? I definitely don't see myself as a designer or smth like this as I don't think I have such talent but I have a passion for fashion and need to find the best way to utilize what I have. I thought about becoming a buyer once but I am not sure what's best for me. And also I will need some reference, right? My employer is ready to do it for me but is it applicable considering the company works in a completely different sphere? Which places are to be considered? Parsons, FIT? Smth else?

I hope it's all not too messy, I am a bit lost as to where to beging my "journey".:blush:Any piece of advice is highly appreciated by me:flower:

Or maybe it is better to get masters in any good university and not particularly in the fashion ones that I listed? :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->