When Non-Fashion Photographers Dabble in Fashion... and Spark Joy

@thiago:) yes of course, you can put whatever you want. it's a forum, and you guys are all knowledgeable so i'm keen to learn.
Cindy Sherman seems to have a real cult in fashion. and if Mapplethorpe were still alive I'm sure he would do some fashion shoots of his own.

Sarah Moon is an interesting one, because I think she's definitely more a fashion photographer than some others. Especially with her work for Cacharel, but I see the argument!!
Do you have a favorite work of hers @blueorchid? if yes please feel free to share!! I'd love to know.
@thiago:) i thought about Nan Goldin and Peter Hujar :smile: please share yours if you'd like.

These are Sofia Coppola's favorites:

1/ Jo Ann Callis
bilower.jpeg

2/ Larry Sultan:
365799.jpg

Neither are "fashion photographers" as definitions go, but they do exude the same allure. She listed Jo Ann's image as inspirations a few times now i think.

Bottega Veneta had the "Art of Collaborations" campaigns during the Tomas Maier years, where they would use a non-fashion photographer or filmmaker to photograph the campaign. Nan Goldin, Nobuyoshi Araki, Todd Hido, Robert Longo, and more all photographed campaigns for BV.

David Lynch and Christian Louboutin also had a collaboration in 2007, in which David Lynch photographed the images for it. I discovered the collaboration fairly recently and thought the images were captivating.
171195_original.jpgfile-bf0ad7f5-9b1a-4842-9ea2-808a4b66fcf5.jpgfile-ab0ddb08-f75e-442f-aff5-f47aee95a7f8.jpg
4c2f4518-737e-47d7-beda-de00aadaa980.jpeg

Interesting about Maier's Bottega Veneta campaigns. Will make sure to look these up!

This is not a Prada production but given this thread's title, I thought it would be okay to include these here:

1996-prada-i-1700x1700-q75-2.jpg
Andreas Gursky
Prada I (1996)
Chromogenic colour-print

1997-prada-ii-1700x1700-q75.jpg
Andreas Gursky
Prada II (1997)
Chromogenic colour-print

1998-prada-iii-1700x1700-q75.jpg
Andreas Gursky
Prada III (1998)
Chromogenic colour-print

Not posting Elmgreen & Dragsets Prada boutique in Marfa Texas as it is an installation. Surely there is another thread for artworks like that?

Also, feel free to move the Gursky images if they should not belong here either as they weren't produced for the brand from my understanding.

Todd Hido has done a few commissioned fashion editorials. Not always to great effect. But I love seeing the experimental crossover from an observers perspective.

@ecnerretneerg I've seen Harmony Korine's Kids and would love to know more about his crossover ^_^ and thanks for posting your Cindy Sherman favs as well. I think mine is still her first series
@Overindulgence I've never seen the David Lynch x Louboutins thing, it looks great! Very Bourdin. Thanks for letting us know! Would you mind posting the Tomas Maier thing as well?
@avonlea002 Hi! I love those Arakis. His pictures are so special, even when they're just of flowers. He's a true master of the metier in Asia. I saw your comment the other day in a Xiao Wen Ju edit with Zhong Lin and I actually thought to myself "really? these are pretty average in Asia" I would love to see more of people like Araki and Daido Moriyama (basically the Japanese equivalents of Newton) do a Vogue issue, any Vogues, à la Testino back in the day. Thank you very much for sharing!
@signifier I've never heard of Todd Hido. I will check him out thanks for the suggestion!
@nejtak those are just sublime. i love that collaboration. Andreas Gursky's spatial use and colors are unmatched. Thank you :heart:

A photographer who specializes in politics, Christopher Morris:20377887547_4.jpeg
10.IstanbulTurkey_2004.jpg

he shot Prada once or twice for a magazine too, but the pictures weren't good. However these ooze tension.

i appreciate all your contributions, please feel free to post more if you have time and care to share :P i learnt something new for sure!

Sarah Moon is an interesting one, because I think she's definitely more a fashion photographer than some others. Especially with her work for Cacharel, but I see the argument!!
I thought Sarah Moon has always been a fashion photographer, can you elaborate?

As mentioned by @Overindulgence

Bottega Veneta Ad Campaign "Art of Collaboration", Tomas Maier years

Spring/Summer 2005 & Fall/Winter 2005
Photographer: Philip-Lorca DiCorcia
BVSS05.JPGBVFW05.jpg

Pinterest

Spring/Summer 2006
Photographer: Stephen Shore
BVSS06.jpg

tfs via justguy

Fall/Winter 2006
Photographer: Antony Armstrong-Jones (Lord Snowdon)
BVFW06.jpg

flickr

Spring/Summer 2007
Photographer: Tina Barney
BVSS07.jpg

models.com

Spring/Summer 2008
Photographer: Sam-Taylor Johnson
BVSS08.jpg

nytimes

Resort 2009
Photographer: Todd Eberle