Which models should be actresses/actors?

Decalion

Reaction score
It seems to me that Hollywood could do a much better job of showcasing beauty than it has in recent years been doing. I was watching some films from the 30s, 40s and 50s, and noted that most of the females onscreen, whether they had a significant role or not, had a more preferable sort of beauty (to me) than most current actresses– dependent on fine facial structure, proportion, symmetry, etc – I suppose lumped under the designation “classic” nowadays. (This extends to males in some degree, as, say, Paul Newman for example is quite a bit more “traditionally” handsome than perhaps the entire batch of contemporary male stars.) As I understand it, studios would often sign contracts with found beautiful women much in the way a wily booker or a Meisel or Testino can pluck someone from obscurity. While I think the development of acting as a craft or art has been an overall improvement for cinema (I prefer to watch more naturalistic acting), I do think some of the people who decades ago would be matinee idols have been diverted into the modeling world, where an extraordinary physicality is even more of an asset. My concern is that I nowise see an emphasis on talent dictating who gets what roles, and neither does necessarily the prettier woman or more handsome man, so essentially the current casting system focuses on a mélange of potential actor’s drive, looks, connections, and a nebulous concept called talent. This last I wish to speak of for a moment. Many may object to my desire to see more beautiful people onscreen as antithetical to an appreciation for acting, and that most of these models couldn’t act their way out of a paper bag, or something along those lines. Well, I would counter that numerous actors and actresses have essentially stumbled into their acting success, learned on the job, and while not necessarily being “naturals”, worked their way into an undeniable competency: Johnny Depp, Charlize Theron, Diane Kruger, Mark Wahlberg to name at random, and the list goes on. My point would be that most people who put a genuine effort into acting should be capable of at least the occasional good performance (excepting Keanu Reeves of course), so I don’t see why having an exceedingly pretty face would make one an exception. With that said, I’m wondering which of today’s crop of models would you most like to see on celluloid, and why?
The Twilight phenomenon has immediately brought to mind candidate pretty young people who could have been better choices for vampires than Summit Entertainment’s choices. Firstly, I think there are dozens of males more suitable for a “gorgeous” pale-skinned Edward than Robert Pattinson. I think if Mathias Lauridsen were onscreen, and shot well, he could possibly induce the sort of hysteria reserved for Leo circa 1996, and indeed I think the man loses nothing to Paul Newman in comparison, though I acknowledge few might agree. Then, instead of hiring Channing Tatum as a model-cum-actor lacking an acting background, why not hire the notably handsome Sean O’Pry? Am I to take it Mr. Tatum has more acting chops? :lol:I also think Danny Schwarz or Ryan Taylor or Taylor Fuchs could work fairly well onscreen. Dornan did decently in Marie-Antoinette, wouldn’t you agree?
Considering women, I think the Bond films could easily cast some commercially-suitable models, like Doutzen as a Dutch temptress (instead of Denise Richards!). I think an Edita (or Hilary, or Maryna, or Eniko, etc.) running around as eye candy in an action movie would intrigue even the most crudely heterosexual males at least as much as Megan Fox has (at least judging from my own reaction), and I take it some of these models could perform in more meaty fare as well. I think Lily D. embodies a certain elegance ripe for a “sophisticated” romance film. I could see Ali Michael playing any number of young woman or high-school girl roles, maybe infringing a bit upon Ellen Page’s or a younger Alison Lohman’s imaginative space (Nastassja Kinski in Tess, sans the Polanski associations, also comes to mind). I would have also liked to see Jourdan Dunn represent some young black women onscreen, as well as any number of great non-white models, which could be an interesting experiment in observing how conceptions of beauty can permeate.
In the interest of brevity and laziness, I now conclude my rambling and incoherent remarks and solicit your own takes on this subject.

all my faves should be actors!
Daria,Elise,Freja,Iselin,Sean O,Heidi,Hilary so on.

Ok I don't think I agree with all that Decalion said... It's more than just looking good on camera being a great actor/actresses. It's harder than people think. Lots of model tried, but field.

Anyway, I think Angela Lindvall could have been a great actress. She already did a great job in CQ as the pretty shy Valentine opposite the extraSuperHero as Dragonfly. I'd rather see her as Catwomen than Megan Fox... but that's my point of view.

Daria Werbowy could also be a great drama actresses I think. In some editorial she has lots of emotion just in the eyes.

Heather Marks as drama/suspence and comics movie sounds great for her. Once again lots of facial expressions. She also remind me of Dakota Fanning.

I don't think I was trying to suggest that acting has something to do with looks. I wouldn't mind seeing Daria play some aspect of herself onscreen.

I know Maryna already has a small part in one of Sofia's upcomming films due to the success with Miss Dior Cherie...I agree with Daria because she was phenomenal in the Prada perfume ad I watch it over and over..Angela does look like an actress though..I also believe Hilary Rhoda, Coco Rocha, Lily Donaldson, Lily Cole, and Karlie Kloss all have the looks that people can relate to as actresses

agree with Daria... she was great in that prada perfume ad directed by Ridley Scott I believe.. great screen presence, convincing depiction as well.. not to mention her beauty :wub:

ana beatriz
kate moss
rianne
i'd like to see any of my fav models acting

i would love to see lara and jourdan on screen.
jourdan could be the black blair from gossip girl. lol:lol:

Natasha at the Cannes Film Festival this year screams "Bond Girl" :heart:

^Yes, a lot of models seem to be good bond girls.

Daria should really consider being an actress, and I'm not even a fan, but her eyes are very expressive and she was very good in the Prada commercial.
Kate Moss could be an actress too, because she has a very strong presence and is a chameleon (at least in print). She and Daria also have an approachable beauty that can be acceptable in Hollywood if required.
Gemma Ward, too and I know that was one of her ambitions. Lily Cole & Donaldson might be good as well. I know Cole is going to be in the last Heath Ledger movie-congrats to her!
Coco could be an actress and I agree Ali Michael, or Karlie Kloss, could play high school girls.
Hilary Rhoda and Angela Lindvall could be actresses too because they seem to be very likable and connect well with other people.

And I'd love it if Edita and Maryna became actresses. Maryna will be in a Coppola film, like TREVOFASHIONISTO said and I can't wait.

Malgosia Bela and Natasha Vojnovic both have drama running through their veins.. it's amazing what they do in editorials. :heart:

I don't know what other model can emit that much emotion on print.. maybe MariaCarla Boscono?.. not sure.

I've always thought Nadja Auermann had a beautifully expressive face, her eyes have so much life in them :heart:.. though i think she did a few films, didn't she ? so perhaps that doesn't count.

bssc0368nadjaauermannli.jpg

hurtmeplenty

I agree that it would be interesting to see maria carla onscreen too. Somehow i think Louise Pedersen would be good too. ^_^

775292556wo.jpg

womenmanagement

Overall though i don't know if i agree that models would work well as actors, though it is true that some great actors seem to have 'stumbled' upon their craft almost as if by accident. still, i love film and would like to think that the actors on screen should be those that truly feel as though they have something to say with their characters, almost as though they are compelled to live through them. modern actors like Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and Rachel Weisz....completely dedicated and perfectly suited to their craft imo, and breathtaking because of it. :heart:

I think tall models would struggle to be cast in acting roles. I think even 5'10" would be pushing it.

I'm not sure about Kate Moss. She's maybe too famous (and paparazziing) for herself so I'm not sure I could see her in someone else.

I forgot Elena Melnik....if only as an excuse to see her beautiful face more often. i think she would look striking on the silver screen..:heart:

5850939539.jpg

portfoliopad

Can't believe nobody said Sasha (I don't think) yet. She's just artsy-fartsy enough to do that and be good at it.

^Yeah maybe... in horror movies she could be very good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->