Why is Vogue Australia so bad?

kuba01

Reaction score
I am absolutely dissapointed with Australian Vogue. Its becoming worse and worse with each issue.

Not only is this months (July 2006) issue probably one of the thinest yet, the magazine is full of old collections and 'stolen editorials'.

All Australia Vogue does is take articles and spreads from other magazines such as Allure and US Vogue (a magazine to be proud of) without creating anything new and interesting. They have also used Mischa Barton on the cover three times (two of which editorials have been taken from other magazines).

Australias Vogue is simply bad. The editor, Kristie Clements, is a terrible editor and she seems lacking in her editorial skills if not passion for style. Anna Wintour or Carine Roitfeld are two iconic women who have seen their edition of Vogue also become iconic. These women really seem to love fashion and this is encapsulated in their editorials. Clements is just not an icon in terms of fashion it seems she doesn't take the position seriously.

What do people think in relation to Vogue AUS? Do we need a new editor? Is the magazine going down hill?

HELP! WE NEED A NEW EDITOR IN AUS VOGUE! LOL

I quite agree with you in relation to Aus Vogue.. being from australia myself i have been quite bored with it lately also.. And i think the editor could do a better job.. its just not that exciting anymore.. which is a shame.. hopefully it will get better.. :(

kuba01 said:
I am absolutely dissapointed with Australian Vogue. Its becoming worse and worse with each issue.

Not only is this months (July 2006) issue probably one of the thinest yet, the magazine is full of old collections and 'stolen editorials'.

All Australia Vogue does is take articles and spreads from other magazines such as Allure and US Vogue (a magazine to be proud of) without creating anything new and interesting. They have also used Mischa Barton on the cover three times (two of which editorials have been taken from other magazines).

Australias Vogue is simply bad. The editor, Kristie Clements, is a terrible editor and she seems lacking in her editorial skills if not passion for style. Anna Wintour or Carine Roitfeld are two iconic women who have seen their edition of Vogue also become iconic. These women really seem to love fashion and this is encapsulated in their editorials. Clements is just not an icon in terms of fashion it seems she doesn't take the position seriously.

What do people think in relation to Vogue AUS? Do we need a new editor? Is the magazine going down hill?

lol main reason why i don't buy it, except when gemma was editor

I think Mischa has only been on the cover twice.

Australian Vogue has always lacked direction. I agree Kristie Clements really needs have a better sense of where the magazine is and where it's going and realise that taking editorials from other publications really undermines Australian Vogue as well as a loss of recognition from readers and world wide.

This is the exact reason i don't buy it anymore, boring and un-creative! We need a new editor and quickly!!

Here is the cover btw:

vogue_australia_july_2006_invogue_magazine_cover.jpg

p.s. Mischa has been on the cover twice already, making this her 3rd time! It goes to show how they're running out of ideas, so they are resorting to using B list celebrities. At least have the decency to put a woman with class on the cover (not that I have anything against Mischa). But its VOGUE, not US WEEKLY

i complely agree with you! its gotten so boring! there it just nothing new to look at/ read! ive stoped buying it now because its just not worth buying anymore.

This is how I feel about Vogue US. I do keep it around for the ads though! But that cover looks a lot better than anything I've seen on Vogue US recently, even though I'm not a big fan of Mischa.

originally posted by kuba01
am absolutely dissapointed with Australian Vogue. Its becoming worse and worse with each issue.

I agree 100%, u just pretty much summed up my thoughts on this topic

kuba01 said:
Here is the cover btw:

p.s. Mischa has been on the cover twice already, making this her 3rd time! It goes to show how they're running out of ideas, so they are resorting to using B list celebrities. At least have the decency to put a woman with class on the cover (not that I have anything against Mischa). But its VOGUE, not US WEEKLY

I actually like this cover. I like Mischa a lot, but your right she has been on it too many times. And i like models to be on covers anyway, but thats a different topic...
But i wouldn't really call Mischa a B List celebrity though..

What about Junes cover of Jennifer Aniston, it was a complete lift from one of the US Vogues wasn't it?

Example:

US Vogue April 06

jen-vogue-april-1.jpg

then

AUS Vogue June 06

03_1_b.jpg

How original :rolleyes:

pics from ebay & US Vogue thread

Cicciolina said:
Australian Vogue has always lacked direction. I agree Kristie Clements really needs have a better sense of where the magazine is and where it's going and realise that taking editorials from other publications really undermines Australian Vogue as well as a loss of recognition from readers and world wide.

100% agree with this! I think it could really be a million times better than it is. While our fashion industry is new and small and not big and mature like it is in Paris for example, I still can't understand why Aus Vogue is currently amounting to nothing more than just a monthly (and usually behind) regurgitation of every other international editions work. It isn't a magazine that is that important in Australia while they ignore the Australian scene as thoroughly as they do, they ought to nurture it instead of putting the same tv celebs on the cover a thousand times in their career.

I think more issues like the Gemma issue, would make it worth buying, and create a uniquely Australian edge, isn't that part of the reason why we even have our own edition? Its simply boring and irrelavent to me.

pink_lipgloss said:
Example:

US Vogue April 06

then

AUS Vogue June 06

How original :rolleyes:

pics from ebay & US Vogue thread

:o :o :o :o
:shock: :yuk: i never knew this!!! how tragic! Bebe and Cicciolina i agree with you, australia needs to use its own people and ideas to make it distinctly aussie.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i was at woolies today and was flipping through it. gosh its so thin!! and it still costs the same. i know the price won't change but i would love to know that i'm getting my money's worth of stuff!!

kuba01 said:
Mischa has been on the cover twice already, making this her 3rd time!

This is her second time being on the cover. Link to Mischa-B where the new issue scans have been posted.
http://www.mischa-b.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=942

Bebe_86 said:
I think more issues like the Gemma issue, would make it worth buying, and create a uniquely Australian edge, isn't that part of the reason why we even have our own edition? Its simply boring and irrelavent to me.

I agree. I have only ever liked 3 issues of AUS Vogue. Gemma's guest edit, Karl Lagerfeld's guest edit and March 2005 when Mischa appeared on the cover (for some reason it had some really good articles in it that I hadn't read in the US/UK versions). They need some new ideas.

But while the Jen Aniston one was boring. Jan's with Cate and Feb's with Sara O'Hara on the covers were ok nothing great but not totally boring. Like I pointed out in the Mischa thread they don't use the same covers all the time and they do use models unlike US Vogue. I love this cover but then I think I'm the only one on this board that cares more about what's inside than what's on the front.

Personally I would love for Australian Vogue to instead of putting in US/UK articles to put in ones from French or Italian Vogue. I love getting French & Italian Vogue but as I can't read them I just buy them for the editorials so if Australian Vogue were changed the words to english I think that would be awesome.

i totally agree! There hasn't been one good issue this year! I liked the mischa issue in march last year and the one with president bush's niece on the cover and also the gemma guest editor issue. I've stopped buying it now, as i've discovered nylon and russh, they really embrace australian/nz fashion.

I agree that we need someone that has more of a presence in fashion, wintour and roitfeld are such large identities in the fashion world. I realize that our editor couldn't be as high profile as these women, but is it asking too much that she has the same passion for fashion as these women, and most importantly her readers?

Bebe_86 said:
exactly!! that issue was definitely worth it!!

kuba01 said:

I completly agree with your comment!!
Vogue Aus definetly needs a new editor!I mean Kristie is sleeping!She has the greatest job ever and many women would kill for it.But its like she isnt that into fashion.Defiently a new editor has to take over and soon i hope!:P

Thanks for agreeing with me Bebe_86 and yasmine123 ! :D

The Gemma issue was really good! Karl Lagerfeld one was so so, I was a bit disappointed actually. Kristie started off as the receptionist/secretary at Australian Vogue and worked her way up I remember reading somewhere.

I actually do quite like Mischa though. I think Australian Vogue have done a really good job with both her editorials - they're among the best editorials she's ever done and the clothes and styling are just beautiful. Australian Vogue needs to do more things like that. The editorials with Hannah Fell late last year/early this year were quite good I thought.

ETA: Also yes I'm fairly sure that this is Mischa's 2nd time on Australian Vogue only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->