Will "The Devil Wears Prada" movie inspire people to dress more stylishly?

spottie

Reaction score
In light of the popularity of "The Devil Wears Prada" movie, do you think it will be inspirational to the masses in terms of trying to dress better? Or will the current trend of "It" bags and shoes only (without regard to a total look) continue? I remember during the "Supermodel Era" of the late '90s, people (in general) seemed more interested in turning out a more polished total image. What are your opinions?

sadly, i think it'll take a lot more than that.

It makes me want to dress better, and go shopping.

Sadly, with moving and buying a house.............I just can't affor it right now.:lol:

a girl (bleach blonde, constantly shows off her cleavage/wears skirts that are way too short, and is obsessed with coach) said to me this weekend, "i love that movie! it's about the fashion industry and that's what i'm going to do!"

sure you are.

i read the book a few years ago and wasn't impressed, so i doubt i'll see this movie unless it's five year from now and it's on tbs.

i dont think so
this isnt one of those very popular movies anyways

i saw it though..it was good

I dont think that wearing designer clothes or being fashionista or even being well-dressed is important to many people.(just some of us here fashion victim)
Around 20 % of the world population may think of looing good:-P

So remember evrytime you go shopping, buying a Gucci/prada belt ca. 200€, please spend a little bit money on charity cauz loads of ppl anywhere else are starving!!!!!!

lol:-P

thesiren said:
a girl (bleach blonde, constantly shows off her cleavage/wears skirts that are way too short, and is obsessed with coach) said to me this weekend, "i love that movie! it's about the fashion industry and that's what i'm going to do!"

sure you are.

i read the book a few years ago and wasn't impressed, so i doubt i'll see this movie unless it's five year from now and it's on tbs.

^ I hate people like that:sick:

But I dont think the movie will really change peoples views on their own personal style.

I think once people leave the theatre they forget about it. But I am definatly all the more inspired to keep looking fashionable, as I'm sure many other fashion lovers are

I think people may see pieces that they like but other than that. I dont think it will spawn a whole movement. Sex and the City already did that, its kind of "over" personal style and being ecclectic is way more in than the "it" bags. I think "housewife cotoure" its on the last leg.

Though I have not seen it, I doubt that this movie will have any influence on large scale society's sense of style. I am sure it is entertaining, though, and some may be inspired by it in some ways.

Hum ... its mostly Prada and Chanel ... regular Janes cant afford it

i agree with thesiren in that a lot of girls I'm acquainted with will see this movie and think, "well its a good thing I'm already fashion-forward with my urban outfitters dress, my a&f flip flops, and my gold weaved belt"

read the book but haven't seen the movie yet..
but i don't think it will inspire people to, at least not a lot.
and i don't think it will be healthy if it did actually!
not eveyone can afford a whole designers wardrobe, not to mention a ridiculously expensive accessory such as a handbag or a silk scarf!
because the book or the movie states that u should drape urself with designers' everything in order to be stylish/fashionable and everything great in life!

I think that television shows have more of a long-lasting impact on fashion trends (and fashion awareness) because they are in the media eye longer. People have time to read about them, see them and become devoted to them, while this is just a movie--in the theaters for a month, then forgotten.

Did 13 Going on 30 change fashion as we know it or make young girls dash to become fashion editors? No. And neither will this film. Sure it's classier but whatev'.

Oh, and theSiren: don't worry about that annoying buddy of yours...once she gets a taste of how much work has to go into working in the industry compared to how little you get back, she will do a double-take. As a matter of fact I HOPE she trys her hand at the industry, just to put her in her place. You can sit back and say, "I knew it." (Mean, but honest.)

_ladybug_ said:
i agree with thesiren in that a lot of girls I'm acquainted with will see this movie and think, "well its a good thing I'm already fashion-forward with my urban outfitters dress, my a&f flip flops, and my gold weaved belt"

:lol: True. I watched the movie, and couldn't believe how well all the editors/magazine people were dressed. Immediately I was worried that if I were to ever get in the fashion industry, I would need to spend big bucks on my outfit also. But from all the articles saying The Devil Wears Prada isn't realistic, I can breathe a little easier. These days, its all about the mix. Target mixed in with high fashion. Celebs know this, regular people know this, and the some of biggest fashionistas also live by this rule. Thats whats so great about today, you don't need to be ashamed about shopping consignment or thrift. If you can make your clothes look good, you can respected for where you get your items. The magazines also seem to embrace the high street trend, as we often see lower priced items in the magazines working perfectly with that 500 dollar Marc Jacobs jacket.

i cant wait to see it.i dont think people will start spending more on their appearance becasue of a film, it wont do more than raise awareness.

_ladybug_ said:

:lol:

I agree, highly doubtful.

Avant Garde said:
:lol: True. I watched the movie, and couldn't believe how well all the editors/magazine people were dressed. Immediately I was worried that if I were to ever get in the fashion industry, I would need to spend big bucks on my outfit also. But from all the articles saying The Devil Wears Prada isn't realistic, I can breathe a little easier. These days, its all about the mix. Target mixed in with high fashion. Celebs know this, regular people know this, and the some of biggest fashionistas also live by this rule. Thats whats so great about today, you don't need to be ashamed about shopping consignment or thrift. If you can make your clothes look good, you can respected for where you get your items. The magazines also seem to embrace the high street trend, as we often see lower priced items in the magazines working perfectly with that 500 dollar Marc Jacobs jacket.

btw, I need to know where you got a Marc Jacobs jacket for $500 :wink:

fashionista-ta said:
btw, I need to know where you got a Marc Jacobs jacket for $500 :wink:

:innocent: :blush: I kinda made up the price. But there was a Marc Jacobs zipper jacket that I admired

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
6sdijcnun
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->