Working as an Assistant (for a Magazine, Publicist, Photographer, Stylist, etc.)

^
Adding to that .... writing descriptions for clothes and accessories being used in the shot for the editorial and putting all the clothes back by showroom requires a lot of work and I actually like it. I don't want to sound like a kiss-*** but it really adds to the learning experience since most people just usually see the photos and don't know what went behind it. It also helps when assistants pick up clothes for the shoots, and yes the garment bags can be very heavy at times but it makes a huge difference when you do. Also when you organize the clothes for the shoots and organize everything when they go back into the garment bags. I even had to order food and drinks for everyone which I didn't have a problem with, it just comes with the job. Having to do the smallest things for the whole team makes things go so much smoother for everyone.

There is also a huge etiquette lesson to be learned when assisting. In NY its a little more severe... I remember I wasn't allowed to even make eye contact with the photographer or creative director. In London its a little more relaxed. To all stylist's assistants my biggest advice is ALWAYS CHECK THE PROP KIT! Otherwise you may find yourself hunting for starch knee deep in snow...

^
Thanks, I never knew that! The people that I worked with were so cool and down to earth. Everyone was just going along with the shoot and very cool. Everyone was sweet and not mean.

Yeah, that really is the humane way things should be but you know how fashion people can get... Unfortunately being an assistant is also bearing the brunt of someone's dissatisfaction..

^
Yea it sucks, I hope it gets better because sometimes it can wear you down.

Learn something about photography equipment .... especially various pro cameras, various lenses and what they do, lighting, tethering to computers, etc. Know how to do basic photoshop ... the basics needed for digital images to color correct, clean up skin, etc. Be able to show the photographer what you are able to do ... on his type of equipment. Changing film, lenses, camera backs, setting up lights and backdrops, cabling equipment ... this is what you will be expected to do, in addition to most of the lifting and carrying.

It helps if you are at least a second year student in a serious photography school ... or, better yet, have recently graduated from photography school. The photog will most likely choose a candidate with photography school under his or her belt.

In most cases ... photographers assist higher level photographers. Sometimes, friends help each other out. But almost always the assistant is a real photographer in his own right.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you actually do it though?
Do you simply write to them and send them your CV?

Yep ... and tell them why you are interested in that particular business. You might ask first, to see if they are looking for assistants just so you send you cover letter and CV to thosw who are actually looking to hire someone. If you are applying to work for a photographer, they might appreciate if you send a sample of your own work ... to show you can actually take quality photos, which can proove that you might actually know your way around lenses, lighting, etc.

What is the first step to become a photographer's assistant?

CV, cover letter-what u want and what u expect, and some previous works, even if they were just for fun. if u have some recomendations from school or someone from the business, that would be useful.

i got a job as a photographer's assistant for a major fashion photographer who has a thread on this board and i don't know sh!t about photography haha.

So, what are your duties? Is he teaching you to set up lighting and back drops and to change lenses and film for him, etc.? Or does he do it himself ... or perhaps he has another assitant to do all that for him.

I'm thinking that if he's training you to be his "photographer's assistant" to do all of that, you are indeed a very lucky girl.

well bette i pretty much expressed to him my interest in photography and how i was willing to help any way i can because "i'm hungry for knowledge." when we go to shoots there are technicians there to set up lighting etc my job is to pretty much to load up the camera or change the lens and pass it to him. he has many assistants so i'm just a fragment of many. it's a fine job i must say all the people i have met are very fun and interesting...

You scored! Congratulations!! Play it right, and you'll learn a lot.

Quick question again: when you assist a stylist, you can put in your resume but can't put it in your portfolio right? Not only a physical book but also website that very clearly is used to display your body of work, whether or not it's a website or tumblr?

Correct. You cannot use the photos in your portfolio on in any place that shows your styling ... because they are not your gigs nor your styling choices. But you certainly may name the stylist you assisted in your resume or cover letter to show your experience.

If you have assisted more than one stylist, you might consider making a category in your resume something like this: "Assistant to the following stylists: .... ".

I think it would also be OK to also name the gig, if it's impressive ... such as editorials or good clients ... something like this: Assisted Joe Blow, on Signet Magazine editorial, March 2015, "Spring Fling" ... or ... Assisted Junie Moon on Wet Seal ad campaign, Spring 2014. I think it would depend on how much space you had in your resume and whether or not the gigs were important.

Whenever in doubt about using photos (such as when a stylist let you create one look or something special) ... ask the stylist if you may use it. He/she will advise you ... it's their decision, it's their gig.

Thank you for confirming!
I was pretty sure I had read this on TFS somewhere but couldn't find the post any more.
I received an email the other morning from a person asking if I needed an assistant and they directed me to their portfolio on tumblr: the first and longest part of it are jobs they assisted on. It really made me uncomfortable, as you said it's not their work, they had nothing to do with the final vision, in what way are the photos representative of their work??
I don't know if I should be a ball buster and tell them about it, unfortunately for them though I do know that they won't be assisting me...

Some new and aspiring stylists don't know about the etiquette of assisting another stylist.

The photos are not representative of their work at all ... as an assistant, the do not have final approval of what goes in front of the camera. What would be the proper information would be for them to get a letter of recommendation from the stylist, detailing how well the assistant worked on that gig. Was he (or she) a team player, did he keep busy, was he self motivated, did he work hard, did he anticipate the stylists needs, was he polite on set, did he make the stylist's job easier, did he help make the stylist look good to the rest of the people on set? That is what you need to know when hiring an assistant.

It actually would be kind to tell them that this would probably be considered "stealing" but the stylist they assisted ... so it would be best to remove the images, and only post it in the summary of their experience. But ... I don't think that person would welcome unsolicited advice.

Or ... you would be doing the key stylists a favor, if you contacted them with a link to the photos and let them deal with it themselves.

Of you can do nothing. The styling community is relatively small ... this aspiring stylist may have already gotten a bad rep for doing this.

(Thanks for moving my question :smile: )

I ended up telling them as "a piece of advice" ^_^' and explaining that even though assisting is hard and a lot of work, that it's the stylist's vision/contacts/research, and that it isn't representative of their own. This person does have a few of their own editorials towards the end, I told them to not worry about not having much to publish yet and that what they could do is create an about page where they can explain in a few phrases the jobs and people they worked with, because "some stylists" could be uneasy seeing this and it could cost them future opportunities.

I remember assisting a pretty good stylist last month, and one of the other assistants, younger and less experienced than I, didn't know either and was surprised when I mentioned it. And after reading your post, even if they get offended or whatever at least they will be aware of this and do things knowingly.

(Thank you again for everything Bette.T ❤️ )

I'm glad you did that.

It's actually a kind thing to do ... even if it's not appreciated now. Later he/she will realize that you were telling her something that is important to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->