'A million girls would kill for this chance' - an ex-intern at Vogue US

That part kind of disappointed me...I love Meisel's work...I thought it was actually his...:ninja:

Off topic ... but I just have to interject:

It still is really his work. In the same way that a film done by the director is considered his work. It's his vision of how to shoot it,he directs everything that is going on, he has the "eye" and the talent. With digital cameras and a computer the photographer no longer has to actually hold the camera to get the shot he wants.

But I do find that very interesting that he's using assistants to shoot.

Off topic ... but I just have to interject:

It still is really his work. In the same way that a film done by the director is considered his work. It's his vision of how to shoot it,he directs everything that is going on, he has the "eye" and the talent. With digital cameras and a computer the photographer no longer has to actually hold the camera to get the shot he wants.

But I do find that very interesting that he's using assistants to shoot.

I understand what you mean but I just thought he was more involved physically...it has to be intimidating for the models but obviously cool for the assistants. Working for him must be interesting...

sorry, I don't believe all these things are true or there is something wrong with the girl.
I interned for many fashion magazines *including conde nast ones and I know people who interned for Vogue and In almost all cases, people are nice and there is no bullying. Yes, you might work a lot or you might not work at all but there is no such rules, like don't look editor in the yes. They have a rule that you cannot wear things from new collections before they come in stores, only Anna W. can do this. But that's it. In my experience, everyone was always v. nice to me, asnwering my questions, joking etc. The only people who've ever been somewhat mean are other interns or girls in low positions (assistants, secretaries etc) and if someone is rude, I was just confident and said things back. These people can't do anything to you, they can't fire you, they're too scared about losing their own job.

I think it will be very tough at the beginning of every job. Especially as an intern.
Nowadays, so much information about the dark side of the fashion world come to us, I even don't know which one I should choose to believe.
If one really loves fashion and love his/her job, he/she will try his/her best to endure all the difficulties.

^Exactly, misssakura. It's very easy to come down on people in a patronising way saying that they have no idea how the real world is. Fact is that most people know very well how things work but they decide not to abide to the "iron jungle" rules. Life doesn't always have to be about eating each others livers supposedly for "survival" purposes.

...and fashion is not supposed to be all about pretty dresses, celebs and parties eiter.
i think that the problem is that many people confuse "adoring fashion" with WORKING in the fashion industry.
i very much agree with what fashionistasista said. Anna Wintour is there doing her job, and therefor it's perfectly understandable that she doesnt want interns staring at her office, listening to private conversations that are worth thousands of dollars, etc.
if one wants to work in such a changing industry, were only the very best remain in business year after year, you've got to accept that there are certain things you must be willing to sacrifice: hours, days, weekends, and (as long as it doesnt cause you serious harm) sometimes a bit of your dignity too.

i am sure that the not looking in the eyes thing, is jsut a big rumour going on for ages that the assitants would made up to scare the interns, or just because that's what they were told when they were interns,,, have you ever heard of someone getting fired because if that?

I really liked this article...

but im dissapointed that meisel doesnt take his own photos himself and uses assistences.... :doh:

hmm... i know someone who was recently hired as an intern at vogue who knows literally nothing about fashion (doesn't know who karl lagerfeld is, no clue what 'ysl' is either...) and is almost virtually braindead.

hmm... i know someone who was recently hired as an intern at vogue who knows literally nothing about fashion (doesn't know who karl lagerfeld is, no clue what 'ysl' is either...) and is almost virtually braindead.

WHat!?!? I don't think that is fair to all the people who do love fashion who were probably up against this person. Or to all the people who aren't braindead. Well, life isn't fair - what can you do?:doh: I'm curious though, does this person have influential parents? A lot of money? from a private school/ American blue blood background? Maybe they have special powers and just hypnotized the interviewer into giving them the position.:P just kidding. But really that seems strange for such a coveted position. And kinda takes away it's credibility IMO.

They don't hire to be "fair". Actaully, interns do not need to know anything about fashion ... they are primarily used to keep the closted ordered, run errands, do grunt work. Anyone can do it ... all they want is someone who can work hard. Someone with high ideas and who "loves fashion" actually might not even be the best person, because they can easily get caught up in the excitement of the experience and forget that they are there to work
But I totally understand the feeling ... that it seems to be a waste to use someone who doesn't even care about fashion when there are so many people who would almost kill to get the gig.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd believe it. Have they started already?
I tried pmming you but I think the settings won't allow it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would kill for this chance, but to be honest, I don't even know if I would last. Just because I love fashion, I would never take the risk and apply for this position unless I was so extremely motivated and a really strong person not just physically, but mentally as well.

I'd believe it. Have they started already?
I tried pmming you but I think the settings won't allow it.

i've just changed my pm settings :smile:
she's just started recently... and she knows nothing about fashion but wants to run her own magazine one day... is super excited and wants to rule the fashion world or something looney like that. isn't from a great school, didn't get very good grades and i know for a fact she isn't blue blood OR networked in any way (at least through family or close friends) that would allow her to land such a position.
i can def see why they would want someone who could just buckle down and work but the problem with this girl is that she is just really not bright or quick at all. she would always ask me to debrief her on fashion things and to give her shopping tips so she can look like she knows what she's doing. really strange.

That is strange .... maybe she's just lucky (in the right palce at the right time) because it sure doesn't make much sense.

perhaps. her story is quite skewed too... she told me she walked in to visit some assistant or something in some advertising sales dept and walked around uninvited to editors offices and passed out resumes.

^ Maybe they just liked her, because they thought she was so brave to do it in such an unordinary way ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->