Yohji Yamamoto S/S 1998 Paris

Wish I could triple like these posts, Maayan! you're the best! :heart:

I've seen this pic of Carolyn Bessette in Yohji for so many years and had no idea it was from this collection.
carolyn.jpg

I remember reading my grandma's magazines when I was a kid and they always had these 'IN vs OUT' lists and I clearly remember this making it to at least two 'out' lists, like yes to the below-the-knee skirt trend but no to Carolyn's puritanical look lol. At the time I agreed.. and I still think she could've picked a better looked from the collection but still, pretty cool that she went full opposite than how that trend was supposed to look back then (I remember it was either 60s and the more sexy, Gucci vibe by Ford).

mainstream desire may provoke in one a counterdesire. this could also be yohji's sense of direction or his way of making the future. correcting errors rather than doing the right thing or what he just wants to do. crossed out with strikethrough, YY rightness is not purely white but black. :ninjas:
negative theological, in a way ?

Definitive silhouettes. Fluid lines, beautiful concepts.

shows like these (and the seminal wedding show) make me realise that yohji could've done dior better than anyone else

shows like these (and the seminal wedding show) make me realise that yohji could've done dior better than anyone else
This is so insightful and beautiful as a thought, even it it's so far in the past now.

He really could have done Dior. He would've turned it out. He could've done Hermes also, I feel.

This is so insightful and beautiful as a thought, even it it's so far in the past now.

He really could have done Dior. He would've turned it out. He could've done Hermes also, I feel.
a couple of these dresses and jackets (and many other examples of yohji's work in this period) could easily pass for early john galliano looks. the black chiffon (?) dresses with the giant white hats - it can't get more dior than that. it's incredible. it's actually very apparent how john was inspired by him. the deconstructed coats, the soft, flowing lines, the asymmetrical bias cutting. the very considered definition of the waist. it's all there. truly one of the greatest living designers, right next to john and rei.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleO
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->