Your Favorite Primer?

All those silicones directly on the skin with no moisturizer in between must be really good for you.

I have NOT heard of this! I'd be interested in knowing if it works, as well.

A primer question: Do I apply it before or after my moisturizer? Is it primer, moisturizer, tinted moisturizer? Or moisturizer, primer, tinted moisturizer? I can't believe I've gone through life without using primers. :doh:

moisturizer first, always =) choose one that fits your skin type. then primer. you can use tinted moisturizer instead of regular moisturizer if you don't feel like like using foundation or any other heavy base, it just gives you a bit of a glow as your skin is moisturized.

but if you'd like, and if you have very dry skin, you can moisturize with your regular daycream and then another layer of tinted moisturizer. try it both ways and see what fits for YOU :flower: i have oily skin so for me it wouldnt work with two layers. i prefer tinted as i don't wear foundation.

^ i guess you just gotta try what works best for you then :smile: we're all different and need different things. i have to moisturize or my face starts to itch lol

I have Loreal Studio Secrets Primer, feels really light and moussey when put on.

Korres Quercetin and Oak primer, which is silicone free - it doesn't give dramatic results, but it's pretty good!

Lisa Eldridge says you dont need both :unsure:
anyone who suggests against an spf (which 99.99% of the time is in moisturizer form) is not worth listening to in my opinion, unless she uses some sort of powder sun protection.

I use Benefit's That Gal as a primer. I don't ever wear foundation, just a bit of bronzer or blush, but it really keeps it on. Also, it's got a light shimmer and is a really lovely pink colour, so when I'm not up for putting a lot of effort into my make up in the morning, it can be worn by itself. I'm on my second tube since October ^_^

anyone who suggests against an spf (which 99.99% of the time is in moisturizer form) is not worth listening to in my opinion, unless she uses some sort of powder sun protection.

Seriously, some people need to chill. Spf is not that important. At least not in winter or in countries where there's barely one day of sun a month. No-one I know around here uses an spf in winter. A lot of them even don't use it in summer. I'm kind of tired of all the ALWAYS WEAR SPF-comments. Skin grows older eventually, and there's not much you can do about it.
The foundation I use contains an spf of 15 and that's enough for me in these cold winter days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because no one you know does it doesn't make it healthy:

Skin Cancer Foundation said:
The summer is not the only time you are at risk for damage from the sun. Find out how to protect yourself no matter what the season.
You are probably in the habit of packing sunscreen for a day at the beach or pool. But the sun is up there 365 days a year, and you need protection much of that time to reduce your lifetime sun-exposure total. Everyday exposure counts; you do not have to be actively sunbathing to get a damaging dose of the sun. Practice these sun-protection basics all year round to give your skin the best chance of long-term health:

Use a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher whenever you spend time outdoors.

This applies to all outdoor activities: athletics, shopping, picnicking, walking or jogging, gardening, even waiting for a bus.
Choose a sunscreen with ingredients that block both UVB and UVA rays.
Apply liberally and evenly to all exposed skin. The average adult in a bathing suit should use approximately one ounce of sunscreen per application. Not using enough will effectively reduce the product's SPF and the protection you get.
Be sure to cover often-missed spots: lips, ears, around eyes, neck, scalp if hair is thinning, hands, and feet.
Reapply at least every 2 hours, more often if some of the product may have been removed while swimming, sweating, or towel-drying.
Choose a product that suits your skin and your activity. Sunscreens are available in lotion, gel, spray, cream, and stick forms. Some are labeled as water resistant, sweatproof, or especially for sports; as fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, or especially for sensitive skin or children.
source

seriously it's such an easy basic thing you can do to protect yourself and slow premature aging.

just moisturize with spf and let it soak in for 5-10 minutes then add primer. plus moisturizing reduces blemishes.

I know, but I'm just very skeptical when it comes to how much it can actually slow premature aging. Also, I just hate the feel of sunscreen. No matter how thin or oil-free it claims to be, it clogs my pores and my skin can't seem to breathe. If you could suggest a good spf which does not make my skin oilier, or clogged up (or dry - I once used a sunscreen which was NOT greasy but very drying) I'd be happy to begin using an spf. But because it brings along too many other skin problems for me and because I'm not entirely convinced that it works wonders, I don't use an extra spf (on top of my foundation) when there's no sun.

I know, but I'm just very skeptical when it comes to how much it can actually slow premature aging.
The only thing that damages the DNA in your skin cells is UV rays, and SPF is the only thing that can prevent it (besides from never going outside). The sun is really harmful to the skin, and I just don't get how anyone could not believe that SPF is working? Baffles the mind. It's the only thing that works.

Anyway, I've used Riemann's P20 for 20 years, and it just works. For 10 hours straight, that is. I haven't noticed any clogging or anything else out of the ordinary. Well, I seem to tan more evenly and I nearly never get freckles as I would without SPF. AND it's a really good primer - it doesn't contain titanium dioxide as far as I remember, so you won't look like an idiot on photos :lol:

She actually does...something something Roth makes it, but it's titanium dioxide and it's not effective for very long. I think it's rather expensive. She has done a sunscreen video.

I don't use sunscreen right now, I'm not even outside during the 6-7 hours of daylight we have up here, but I think I'll start again sometime in February.

I use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel... it's not meant to be a primer but it works excellent, I believe the ingredients are very similar to Smashbox primer. And it's only $6! woojo!

monistat-monostat-face-primer-box-and-tube.jpg

You can find reviews here:
http://makeupalley.com/product/show...ief-Powder-Gel/Unlisted-Brand/Skincare---Body

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->