The Wire (TV series)

MissAnia

Reaction score
This show is amazing. I think it's the best television drama ever.
Here are some pieces of information about THE WIRE.

The Wire is an American television drama set and produced in Baltimore, Maryland. Created by writer/producer and former police reporter David Simon, the series is broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States. The Wire premiered on June 2, 2002, with 50 episodes airing over the course of its first four seasons. HBO has ordered a fifth season, which Simon has said will be the show's last.
The plot of the first season centers on the ongoing struggles between police units and drug-dealing gangs on the west side of the city, and is told from both points of view. Subsequent seasons have focused on other facets of the city. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how... whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."
The Wire has received critical acclaim for its realistic portrayal of urban life and uncommonly deep exploration of sociological themes, and has been called the best show on television by TIME, Entertainment Weekly, The Guardian, the Chicago Tribune, Slate, the San Francisco Chronicle and the Philadelphia Daily News. Despite the positive reviews, the show has failed to draw an audience commensurate with its press.

[from wikipedia.com]

wow, i'm surprised that nobody seems to watch the Wire !

just finished season 4 which was THE BEST thing i've seen on tv, since seasons 1-3 of the wire... (don't have hbo so i can't watch season 5 now :sob:smile:. the show that's like a novel of broken dreams and flinty shards of hope

I LOVE THIS SHOW from season 1-5, im still upset how the series ended, dukies a crackhead, micheal is the new omar and marlo is still alive and clay davis never went to jail but i still ove it, i want all of the seasons, like now, im so mad that the show doesnt get more recognition the way it should, they should get emmy after emmy after emmy.

I finished watching season 5 yesterday. For some characters it was so sad to see how they ended on the show but I guess that's life and The Wire always strived for realism in its show. It's definitely one of the greatest television series ever made and in my opinion I would even say it is the best.

Watching other television shows is quite disappointing now.

What were everyone's favourite seasons, characters? I liked season 1 the best but I think seasons 3 and 4 are also up there. Every season was excellent though.

My favourite characters are D'Angelo, Michael, Lester and Dookie.

It's a travesty The Wire wasn't nominated for any Golden Globes or SAG awards and didn't even win any Emmys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also love the Wire. My boyfriend got me into it because he insisted I watch it all with him. I have some issues with it, but for the most part, I loved it and that it didn't sacrifice integrity for viewing numbers. My biggest complaint was that it had no real redemption at the end. I know David Simon was trying to do a "this is how it always is, and the cycle continues" kind of thing, which I agree with to a certain extent, but I felt like he kind of dropped that theme when it was convenient and then picked it back up again. My big storyline gripe was with Carcetti, who somehow within two weeks has completely destroyed his idealism over the budget?! I'm sorry, but a. he was supposed to be a city counsellor prior to his mayorship, so certainly on some level he is exposed to the city's fiscal problems and b. I really took issue with the time frame. I don't have a problem with the storyline itself, but they should have drawn it out far longer. Like the day after he's inauguarted the Dems are after him to run for governor and he's just like 'yeah - sounds good'?! I found that really betrayed the character they had built him to be. Anyway, /rant over. :lol:

My best friend watches this, and she is going to lend me the DVD's, she says it's a great show... Can't wait to watch! :glare:

uh oh. I think I just ruined a major storyline for you B :ninja: :P

I think I skim read it... I will avoid reading! :rofl:

I finished watching the all of the wire on DVD just before it aired on BBC! its such a good show really gritty and raw, something i think TV today lacks + Mcnulty is sexy :P (bonus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->