Tom Ford : Life after Gucci #2

Rather glad I don't spot Victoria Beckham there personally.. Well, unless that bottom photo is really what she looks like without make-up.

:lol::lol::lol:you and me both and if that is her without make-up then damn! but back to tom, i can't wait to see all of this

from nytimes.com

Glamorously, Tom Ford Is Back

By CATHY HORYN

Published: September 13, 2010

The morning after Tom Ford’s first women’s show in six years, on Sunday night, editors who had been among the 100 invited guests looked at one another and, with a little shake of the head, smiled and said, “That was amazing, wasn’t it?”
Mr. Ford had indeed returned to an arena he had dominated at Gucci, and had gradually grown unhappy with, but no one at his show in his Madison Avenue store could have been prepared for what he gave them: a full-on glamour assault made real and alive by the friends and muses who have inspired him during his career.
With a camp nod to old-time couture shows, Mr. Ford, looking spit-polished himself, provided a narration as the first of his ladies, Farida Khelfa, a top model of the 1980s, came out in an ivory gown with a black corset visible from the back. Then came the actress Emmanuelle Seigner, followed by Lauren Hutton in a white pantsuit and fedora.
When Mr. Ford introduced “Miss Beyoncé Knowles,” I admit it didn’t quite register that it was her, in a smashing dress of gold and silver embroidered on black net.
By then, the editors were grinning like idiots, and Terry Richardson, the only photographer permitted to take pictures, was jumping out of his seat and snapping as sweat poured off his face.
And that was just the beginning of the train of 32 models, each as individual as she could be. There were Rita Wilson, Rachel Feinstein in a blood-orange shredded tulle shrug, Marisa Berenson, Daphne Guinness, Lisa Eisner in a fitted black dress with a ’20s feather headpiece, Lou Doillon, Julianne Moore in a silk fringe dress, as well as many supermodels, including Joan Smalls, Liya Kebede, Amber Valletta in a leopard-print pantsuit, Daria Werbowy and Stella Tennant.
Everything was finished with a top-to-toe perfection, with beautiful hammered gold earrings and cuffs, small clutches, black stockings and shoes with ankle ties. The clothes didn’t look like Gucci, and they didn’t really look like Yves Saint Laurent, which Mr. Ford also designed for a few years. To be sure, they combined elements of both, but the fit was different and the glamour more intense. If the style referenced any period, it was the ’20s.
Mr. Ford said in an interview on Monday morning that he began working on the collection late last spring, and that none of the models, who had been first contacted in June and July, knew what they would be wearing until they came for fittings last week. He worked from their measurements. And none of them made any special, divalike demands. He said he did not know Ms. Knowles well; they had met at one or two receptions in London, where Mr. Ford has his design studio. He did know her husband Jay-Z, who is a men’s-wear customer of Mr. Ford’s.
“I just sent her a note,” he said. “She answered right away. ‘Absolutely,’ she said.”
Mr. Ford also said the show, which he purposely kept quiet, didn’t cost as much as one might imagine. He said none of the women were paid to be in the show, though travel costs for a few were covered.
Explaining why he didn’t allow pictures, Mr. Ford said that fashion had become overexposed in recent years, in part because of Internet technology and a focus on celebrities. “I want fashion to be fun again, like it was in the ’60s,” he said. “You couldn’t wait to get the clothes and put them on, and I think we’ve lost that.”
Mr. Ford will make pictures available on his Web site in December, along with a mini-film of the show. The clothes will be in his stores in late January or February. There are about 25 Tom Ford men’s boutiques around the world, of which he and his partner, Domenico De Sole, own 10, he said, and the women’s line will be sold there as well.
The clothes will be very expensive, which, of course, is his intention. Suits will cost roughly $3,500 to $5,000, a tuxedo will be about $4,500, and a gown could be $20,000.
“I’ve always said I’m a commercial designer,” Mr. Ford said. Yes, but the clothes were also desirable and exciting. You can’t help thinking that he has advantages that other designers do not have — money, experience, famous friends — but the point is he knows what to do with those advantages. The other night he showed some great fashion.

A few photos...

FORD-1-popup.jpg

Scenes from the Tom Ford SS 2011 show. Joan Smalls, left, was one of the models in the show.

FORD-2-popup.jpg

Beyoncé Knowles was one of the models.

FORD-3-popup.jpg

Tom Ford, left, behind Daphne Guinness, one of the star models in his show.

All photos: Cathy Horyn for NYTimes.com

yes, if you read the description of the clothes from the various reviews, those are definitely the outfits from the collection

i'm kind of loving the anticipation here. he's right about fashion being overexposed. i'm over most collections the day after the runway, which is months before they hit the racks.

this is how couture should be presented! you should feel privileged to actually see the clothes

This issue gonna be MAJOR that's for sure. But I don't know if I will be able to wait that loong to see the collection and all. I may suscribe to VP, so I can get the issue a bit earlier, and buy another copy, later, for my lonely winter nights. :P:P

honestly, those candids could serve as an advertising campaign in and of themselves.

Ugh. Terry Richardson.

But.. is Emmanuelle turning into the new Carine right in front of our eyes?

K nvm. That Emmanuelle actress girl totally resembles Emmanuelle Alt in that photo tbh.

^she does look a bit like Alt.
I like what I've seen of the clothes. the interesting part, in my opinion, is he casting...

I just have to say that I love the fact that he didn't allow photographers at the show. I detest the see-and-buy thing going on right now in NY. Things get so much more exciting when there is some "secret" factor involved.

As you see, we still get pictures of the clothes.

I am DYING at those Twitter photos. Everyone seem to look sooo glamourous. This is going to be HUGE. Thank God I renewed my subscription :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->