When and how do you decide what to wear?

usually the night before. the next day i usually change it up a little bit, depending on the weather, it decides how many layers and accessories. also depending where i am going and what my mood is that day, and random style icons and inspirations.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's never really the same for me. Sometimes I wake up in such a rush that all I can do is try to remember my activities for the day and dress according to them (or not!).. those are usually my favorite outfits :P.. at the risk of sounding pathetic, I tend to be quite surprised to see how I managed to put together such good outfits (in my eyes anyway!) in less than a 3-minute song (I dress with music -_-)..
Other days, I plan and plan while taking a shower, then while eating breakfast and nothing seems to work out in my head.. and nothing works eventually but I still wear it. When that happens.. I can complain all day long to myself about minimal things like 'why am I wearing this scarf and not the scarf that I threw away at the last minute!?'.. and that makes me feel so silly that I decide to plan even more carefully what to wear for the next day so I can avoid such thoughts... and it turns out pretty well.. it's either spontaneous or highly strategic I guess.. I hate hate hate morning crisis.. that's just something I am prepared for with one of two lifesaver outfits but the fact that it is a crisis means that no outfit will cure it until the day is over. :ninja:

oh my god. this is me talking?!!!!

Yeah I usually choose my outfit the night before....coz I'm one of those people that constantly press the snooze button on the alarm clock and then ends up rushing around trying to get ready!

Sometimes the night before, when Im bored, procrastinating or tired of doing homeworks its a nice distraction. I create new outfits or try new combinations of how could I wear stuff differently.
Other times in the morning, also depending of the weather, mood, time,etc. When I have a special occasion, I plan it days before so if I need to buy an accessory or something new I have time to do it. Its horrible when you go somewhere special and you feel underdressed or not comfortable with the outfit you picked, even if nobody notice it you feel horrible haha. :P

I'm one of those people that constantly press the snooze button on the alarm clock and then ends up rushing around trying to get ready!

haha Im the same I keep pressing it for like a half hour, cause I know it keeps ringing every 5 min. :lol: I became immune to the alarm, so I need to put it even earlier so I can get up on time. :P

Depends if I have an event or special day or something.

If it's just a 'normal' day I usually go through clothes ideas laying in bed. If it's a special occassion I'll probably go through loads of outfits a few days before so I can plan what goes well together etc

Before I wear it. I believe spontaneity is necessary to create a combination according to your mood. To prepare too much often means you don´t like it anymore when the time has come to put it on. That´s the only way that clothes reflect a mood. Exceptions are weddings and other events that require a certain dress code.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you decide what to wear in the mornings?

i searched for similar threads, but didn't find one. :flower: mods, please combine if you find a similar thread.

I was reading someone's blog the other day where they mention how they decide what to wear when they get up in the mornings. Sometimes it's based on a theme, or a movie they've seen; sometimes it's simply an outfit worked around some item like a pair of shoes.

So I was wondering...

how do you get dressed in the mornings?
Do you have whole outfits planned in your head?
Or do you start with something more abstract, like a mood, a theme, a feeling, an inspiration, or a muse?
Do you start with a particular item that you want to wear that day?
Or do you usually start with a particular category, like shoes?

For myself, I usually have a rotating cast of outfits that I've worn, and I try to match an outfit to the feeling that I had when I wore it, and the feeling that I want to have that morning. It's a complicated process that involves a lot of changing back and forth. :rolleyes::wink:

But when I'm sleepy and short on inspiration, I start instead with any item that fits my mood, and then I build up an outfit around that.

^ interesting questions!

I used to really dress up in college. Not fancy, just well planned. When I got up I would usually go through my closet until I found a piece I like or had in mind. Then I would build my wardrobe around that. For example, I would think about my black biker boots and my mind would think back to an image of say, Kate Moss wearing them with cut-off denim mini and a flowy vintage top. Boom, I'm there. :wink:

These days though, I work long hours at an office and weekends I go from downtown to suburb to run errands and visit my parents. So during weekdays, I pick out yet another pair of blah dress pants, a pair of flats (i walk to work), and a top that will match (usually it's just a fitted tee/tank with a sweater overtop). I'll add a simple necklace or something. I dressed up at work at the beginning but with so much work these days, I need as much comfort and ease as I can get. On weekends, I usually grab jeans as I can't wear them even on Fridays to work. And then either a tee and hoody or some casual top - again for comfort.

Really disappointing, but unfortunately I've realized that my lifestyle really affects how I dress. I've tried to put together more creative outfits but it seems like any "good taste" as been zapped out of me and I somehow the same clothes I used to get awesome outfits out of now look so blah. :(

Lol, that was depressing! I'm hoping to glean some inspiration from other's responses. :smile:

I suppose I might dress around a theme, but I'd be more likely to have a theme for an entire season, not a day. Movies ... I guess I was influenced by Out of Africa, but that was influencing fashion as a whole, and influenced my wardrobe. I'm afraid I don't have time to dress around elaborate fantasies :P :wink:

i usually pick out the night before what i'll be wearing the next day....

I usually spend an hour in bed going through my pieces in my head and mix matching them with inspiring photos.
Some nights I just want to sleep but I can't!

The night before, I will think of what to wear first. So the next morning, I need not waste time pondering what to wear.

that's exactly what i do too. if i don't have enough time the night before i have to wake up extra early to pick out my clothes;sometimes, i just sit in my closet 'thinking' of what i'm gonna wear that day since i couldn't the night before. haha. :shock:

On the day and I usually end up changing about 20 times before choosing something good. I should plan the day before tho

Usually I have one item I want to wear that day/occasion (can be anything)
and I build by outfit around that. But I get dressed pretty fast, most of the
times within 5 minutes..

i decide in the morning after hitting the snooze button a dozen and one times, laying in bed and try to remember what has already been washed.

I typically decide either that morning or the night before. Because I like to sleep in on Sunday mornings I pick out what I will be wearing to church the night before. What would make it really easy for me would be to have a sort of database where I put together outfits for the week ahead, and then write down each piece along with the shoes and the accessories.

I dress how I feel that day and what the weather will be like as well.

Usually I have one item I want to wear that day/occasion (can be anything)
and I build by outfit around that. But I get dressed pretty fast, most of the
times within 5 minutes..

Things changed a bit, because these days I choose what to wear the evening before. It saves me in the morning searching for different items of clothing and instead I can use that time to wake up (I'm not a morning person at all :ninja:).

In the weekends/days off I just take my time to decide what to wear. Both options usually take 5 minutes or less (maybe 10 when I'm looking for something I left at some random place :innocent:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->