Why do you love/hate Dsquared?

Thorin said:
Why do you love/hate Dsquared?

Do you know this griffe, created by the two Canadians twins Dean and Dan Caten?
I think it's a beautiful brand, very innovative and creative. I don't like very much the last collection [F/W 2005], it's too based on "church&god" themes, but however it has a lot of beautiful clothes and accessories.

www.dsquared2.com

:huh:

:shock:

Oh boy.....Dsquared2 is just SO wrong i don't know where to startB)
Everything is trashy, skanky and over the top.

On a positive note there jeans is of good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from Toronto so I am proud of them, but it seems that since the logo t-shirt/low rise jeans/trucker look has expired, they don't have many ideas left in them. But it is too soon to tell, though rumours of deteriorating health for one of the twins continually surfaces here in Toronto (and could account for the new interest in spirituality in their recent collections).

They have actually been designing womenswear for a long time- I remember when they were the designers for PORTS INTERNATIONAL in the late '80's- and I think those collections fuelled the rumours they would design for CELINE.

They are talented and creative, and although not at the peak of their game, they have so far resisted the urge to do a diffusion line, handbag collection, perfume, "lower-priced jeans" line, underwear line and all the other licenses far more pedigreed designers have obliged to (and any DSQUARED license could be exceptionally profitable).

That in of itself deserves respect.

dsquared15.jpg
dsquared04.jpg
dsquared07.jpg

I don't really think that they are "so wrong that I don't know where to start".

I'm not sure if i heard of it before..I just had a look on the site. I don't really like it but they do have some nice things. The F/W 2005 W collection is ok but I don't find it very special and the S/S 2006 W collection is a bit to country/western(?) for me.

Someday said:
"lower-priced jeans" line, underwear line

I speak about Italy. Here there are a lot of Dsquared jeans at about 200€, and I don't think that they are too much expensive...There's also an underwear line, verry funny and confortable, too.

J'ador-DioR said:
:shock:

Oh boy.....Dsquared2 is just SO wrong i don't know where to startB)
Everything is trashy, skanky and over the top.

On a positive note there jeans is of good quality.

If Dsquared is trashy and over the top, what are Cavalli or Galliano in our opinion for example? :shock:

Cavalli and Galliano fall into the same category, imo..
what do i think about dsquared, though? yeah, i think they're attitude is crap:rolleyes:
here's the question i kill myslef over though..does fashion need these types, or would it be better if everything was my way?

i dunno, the problem is that while Yves Saint Laurent and Prada are everything to me, Dior might be the world to my next-door neighbor. but there are conventions..so, is dsquared/dior/cavalli good fashion. is it right? is it modern. could fashion exist without them.

i don't like thinking about this, but the world right now just happens to obsessed with 'pretty'. when feathered bucket hats and loose men's shirt will be in vogue my time will come!:lol:

Don't really like them... not all that innovative...

Too... I don't know .....average/urban for my liking

Can be worse I suppose, just look at Heatherette and Babyphat

*after thought* :sick:

I used to like them, back when they actually did design cool clothes (it's been a while now since they went totally kitsch)

But the first strike against them was when I saw how much they charged for those cool clothes (waaaaay overpriced for a tee shirt of Mikey Mouse giving the old f--- you)

Then people started paying attention and they turned there overpriced clothes into overhyped runway shows. And to top that all off, they started a womens line.

So, I kinda hate them now.

Dsquared fills the niche for colorful disco bits for young kids much like D&G. They're very popular for their small sizing and slightly sleazy styling. Perfect for, uh, a D-I-S-C-O. I wouldn't lump it in with Cavalli as it's not Mediterranian in influence.

Here's my thoughts on Dsquared.

Dsquared used to be my favorite designer in my younger years. I loved their over the top style and in your face attitude, but they've replayed it so many times that it finally started to lose what it initially meant to me.

I also have very little respect for designers who take a t shirt, put a logo or simple message and then charge hundreds of dollars for it. That shows a complete lack of originiality and it also gives me an impression of a sell out brand.

don't know where to start really...tacky and camp over-commercial crap for a bunch of perma-tanned muscle marys dancing shirtless at some sleezy club...
and it's not just the clothes, it's the catens' freak show as well...eeewwwww

Someday said:
I'm from Toronto so I am proud of them, but it seems that since the logo t-shirt/low rise jeans/trucker look has expired, they don't have many ideas left in them. But it is too soon to tell, though rumours of deteriorating health for one of the twins continually surfaces here in Toronto (and could account for the new interest in spirituality in their recent collections).

They have actually been designing womenswear for a long time- I remember when they were the designers for PORTS INTERNATIONAL in the late '80's- and I think those collections fuelled the rumours they would design for CELINE.

They are talented and creative, and although not at the peak of their game, they have so far resisted the urge to do a diffusion line, handbag collection, perfume, "lower-priced jeans" line, underwear line and all the other licenses far more pedigreed designers have obliged to (and any DSQUARED license could be exceptionally profitable).

That in of itself deserves respect.

Excuse me for being a bit nosy, but I'm kinda out of the loop...what is it about these deteriorating health rumors? HIV? If you don't want to reveal it publicly, perhaps you can PM me...and if you feel I have crossed the line with this post, I apologize in advance. I am not looking for juicy gossip to spread around, but I'm genuinely curious as to what they're up to these days.

That said, the twins worked closely with my mom during those Ports days you mentioned...so from what I've heard I guess i've got a somewhat good idea of how they function. I personally am not too big of a fan of them, although I am like you said proud of how they went from their humble Canadian roots to center stage in Milan, with their work covering the bodies of many celebrities today...however I feel that in the past couple years, it is as my mom said this past summer, they seem to be testing to see how far they can push the boundaries by making clothes so ridiculous and overpriced and still convince victims worldwide to follow it...they've always struck me as jesters.

I love that they use beefcake male models/ I hate that their clothes are so tacky and overpriced...

To me...DSquared is like glorified Diesel. Undeserving of the price tags...and just very brash and tacky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->