why do you like/hate Karl Lagerfeld?

these two designs are almost identical - its like Karl just recyled some ideas from previous collections but stuck some jewelery/adornment on the pieces for the fall 06 collection:
00630m.jpg
same as
00470m.jpg

source: style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
this is probably one of the most paradoxical pieces of the collection - on top the dress is adorned with crystals (which is arguably associated with being chic) and the bottom of the dress is cut up and almost ripped into strips (why its cut up is beyond me). I dont blame the model for her lacklustre expression which gives us the notion that shes going to pass out - I would too if I had to wear that atrociously designed dress
00660m.jpg

source: style.com

I have a good idea for you :blush:
Print a big big image of the Kaiser Karla Gerfeld
Stick it on the wall of your bathroom
And then throw tomatoes on it
Good way to spend your time (at least a better one than posting 4 messages at the same time just to blame Karl)

Concerning his designs, you seems soooo out of realities. He designed Fendi, Chanel Couture, Chanel RtW, Chanel Croisière, and Lagerfeld Gallery (now collection) for DECADES (he has got a life time contract with Chanel), so do you really think he has enough imagination to make creative things every time? He tries, at least, to make beautiful clothes. Plus Chanel is such a conservative brand. Plus please remember he has to make MONEY with RtW.

Plus, the men, has a huge intelligence and knowlegde concerning everything (+ he's on the fashion place since he's 20, you do the math)

belletrist:

thankyou for your futile advice - however I think I am entitled to do what I see fit with my time, thank you very much.:angry: lol

secondly - Karl is possibly a good designer, some of his designs are incredible - but recently, whether it be as a result of his age or lack of talent = he has destroyed what Chanel is symbolic for. Its iconic and chic. He made it gothic and unappetizing.:sick:

thirdly - just because he is intelligent and knowlegeable, does not necessarily mean that he is a good fashion designer. he really is rather talentless and in my opinion he should retire. just LOOK at the man - he has a ponytail and he criticized princess diana and the olsen twins (which are argueably fashion icons). the manner in which he expresses his opinions is vulgar and nobody honestly cares. princess diana is dead and she does not need to be labelled 'stupid' by karl.
I find it quite offensive that a person would criticize someone who is dead. his recent criticisms of starlets shows he has no class.

Yes I heard you, no offense
I just find a little bid sad (well sad it's not a drama yet but...) to create a thread JUST because you don't like him. But whatever :flower:

Maybe you are right and he should retire but hehehe he is (according to Le Figaro, french newspaper) the designer which the higher income (way more than the traditionnal annual 1 000 000) in the world. So, he won't retire ^_^

[edit: + I'm pretty sure he don't have the right to brake his contract with the Wertheimer

lol yea...I see your point.

btw you speak (or write lol) good english.

I find it quite offensive that a person would criticize someone who is dead. his recent criticisms of starlets shows he has no class.

He just knows how medias work and gives what people want to see of him!
This guy really lives in 2006 and not in the past. (honestly there I think noone will understand me) and about this "teen-it-girls", I just think this is because now he spends most of his time in LA & NYC. It's just to be introduced into the "young" american market. I think he loves being on tv - for those who live in France : Karl was in Sagas to talk about Matt Pokora! Can you believe it???!!!.

of course Karl is overrated! He is everywhere! Fashion, photos, books etc. This guy thinks he's the best : he's the only one who is on the fashion scene for more than 30yrs!!!!

concerning his designs : his last Chanel HC is absolutely HORRIBLE!
Coco would turn in her grave if she saw these blasphemous designs!

Oh yeah!!!

I dunno...Chanel's designs are soooo classic and soooo "pretty" that they become as boring as hell. But that's what Chanel was like when it was founded by Coc Chanel herself: it was extremely simple elegance and Karl has continued to make it that way because he doesn't want Chanel's fashion reputation to deteriorate..simplicity is Chanel's trademark. I think he tries to mix simplicity with today's looks but only ends up making them look stupid like the first outfit in this thread (lol the gothic prostitute one). I used to detest Lagerfeld completely because he is so up himself, but I'm starting to appreciate his work a lot more now...it's just plain old pretty...nothing more.

Good mercy, an all-out attack on Karl. Whoo.

Although I must disagree: I don't actually find that outfit on Gemma Ward as bad as you put it; obviously no one wears it exactly as it is on the runway, but I must say that each of those pieces are capable of being very, very chic. And that isn't anything "random" hanging out from behind; it's the back of the inner shirt extended to form a two-pronged sort of "train" that floats and trails behind.

And honestly, I'd say that collection - i.e. Chanel RTW F/W 2006 - is one of the better collections he's ever done for Chanel. I love the sheer chicness of it and how it seems to be geared towards the Asian demographic (especially Japan - when I saw the two pieces in front, I was positively surprised at how Japanese-chic it appeared - most definitely something a rich Japanese girl who loves listening to J-Pop would wear).

00020m.jpg

(From Style.com) Just look at this. I honestly don't see anything wrong with boots higher than the heels. It's a very Chanel thing, and a very chic one at that. And even though I'm male, I find that tweed jacket very, very desirable ...

And frankly, regardless of how "uncreative" Karl may be, at least he's working things out with, what, at least THREE labels under his name (Chanel, Fendi and his namesake label - and that's not including the Haute Couture collections he does for Chanel!)? Even though he's got a lot under his belt, he still manages to successfully create (or keep) an individual style and aesthetic for each of those labels - you can tell a Fendi collection from a Chanel collection (the latter is especially recognisable) and honestly, they aren't the worst things you can find among Paris' various RTW shows.

Give the man a break.

Awwww Kuba :flower:

"introduced into the "young" american market. I think he loves being on tv - for those who live in France : Karl was in Sagas to talk about Matt Pokora! Can you believe it???!!!."

M Pokora :yuk: :sick: :yuk: ? What did he say :ninja: ?

He was also at Mireille Duma's talkshow, but he didn't say anything at all, except "I have sad eyes, so I wear sunglasses to hide them" B)

I honestly think everything he does in the "young and hype" community (the Canderel pictures, the talkshows) means he just want to stay in the game. He's worth way more :wink:

I dont know.. I still love a lot of his designs..

off topic:
if Karl was to die, who do you think will replace him? Or is there a thread about this already?

BerlinRocks said:
concerning his designs : his last Chanel HC is absolutely HORRIBLE!
I hate it too... The last Chanel couture I liked was Spring 2005 one...
00120f.jpg
00240f.jpg

00350f.jpg
00560f.jpg

style.com
fourboltmain said:
Isn't there a 'Why do you love/hate Karl' thread already?
Yeah I was also thinking... :ermm::huh:

^ not sure if there is love/hate thread on KL, if so please report here and i'll merge..

personally i found him extremely boring and stiff,
he should had retired like 20 years ago..

leave space for new talents Karla, enough already :P

Couldnt this thread be applied to any designer? Every designer has once made clothes that are less that desireable, yet they still 99% of the time create beautiful clothes. i love the majority of chanel clothes (bar the mistakes that have been made over the years).its just a matter of personal preferance kuba01 and there is probably some deigners that you like that i think are all the things you think about Karl Kangerferd.So Karl Langerferd in my oppinion - overated, maybe, a good deigner, deffinately.

^^^lol very true I guess. but what Im trying to say is that Karl LAGERFELD is most of the time, quite a bad designer, imo of course.

and how could Lanvin or Rochas ever be repulsive? lol

i love Karl.he is doing good boots like this ,this and this ..
his couture collections in Chanel are to dress fairies and pixies:P and if you combine his R-T-W Chanel collection's pieces different than him you can get good outfits
but i like most his Fendi designs-especially pants for this season.he hides most wearable clothes for Fendi,i think:D
and his Lagerfeld Gallery women are gothic even in the white clothes and have sth. mysterious...

this is what i think about him and his designs and i am sure that if i would have enough money to buy designer clothes i would definitely spend it for his designs:P

^ for some reason style.com and vogue.co.uk dont have the show online anymore... (vogue doesnt have any fall 2005 shows).!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->