why do you like/hate Karl Lagerfeld?

i think he's really talented.but really he's overated however.sometimes he will surprise us.he can create some classic pieces.but sometimes his designs can be real crap.especially i hate his own brand lagerfeld gallery.it sucks.

whats the point of posting ugly outfits of a designer and saying their design is bad? every designer have pieces which looks like sh*t (to the mass).

i might post some more pictures from fall 2005 rtw...that was such an amazing show...and really showed his potential...

I like what he does for Fendi (especially FW 06) and Chanel Haute Couture (stunning). I don't hate Chanel RTW, it's just, the whole Chanel look has never been my favorite.

kuba01 said:
this is probably one of the most paradoxical pieces of the collection - on top the dress is adorned with crystals (which is arguably associated with being chic) and the bottom of the dress is cut up and almost ripped into strips (why its cut up is beyond me). I dont blame the model for her lacklustre expression which gives us the notion that shes going to pass out - I would too if I had to wear that atrociously designed dress
00660m.jpg

source: style.com

it is simply cut up to let the person who wears it walk, the dress is brilliantly done, it has a touch of his summer 2006 haute couture collection, the long leather boots are in tone with the 80´s trend...

to me he is one of those overrated people who deserves to be overrated, he is brilliant and capable to recreate the chanel style season after season, mix it up with references and making it appealing to the younger demographic.

kuba01 said:
more hideous Chanel>>> Coco would turn in her grave if she saw these blasphemous designs!
00100m.jpg

this is supposedly COUTURE! hahaha tie-die jean high boots couture! thats funny.

source: style.com

why jean can´t be haute couture?, because is a mainstream fabric?

Mademoiselle Gabrielle started making her fourreau with black wool crêpe, at that time reserved only to make marines uniforms, causing obvious controversy, and ironically, the same reactions karl is causing to the eyes of people like you :wink:.

is there a wittier way to preserve her legacy?.

^^Im sorry but the last time I checked - denim was not a traditional or particularly luxurious couture fabric. In fact isn't that the whole point of couture? That the fabric is very rare, expensive, luscious and the design is unique? Denim or jean boots in this case are not rare, very ordinary, not expensive and not something Chanel COUTURE should have. its very wrong imo. lol

couture is also an oportunity to make original designs in original ways and forms, mixing exclusive materials with ordinary ones is a cool way to achieve it, plus, they are the accesories of the show, not the actual clothes of it, but then again im sure, in karls hands jean cpuld become a rare, expensive and luscious material, is how you treat them and how you manage it that makes it special...

plus, obvioulsy karl is more suited to know what Chanel couture shout have, don´t you think?
he´s been designing it for 23 years.....

Last edited by a moderator:
kuba01 said:
^^Im sorry but the last time I checked - denim was not a traditional or particularly luxurious couture fabric. In fact isn't that the whole point of couture? That the fabric is very rare, expensive, luscious and the design is unique? Denim or jean boots in this case are not rare, very ordinary, not expensive and not something Chanel COUTURE should have. its very wrong imo. lol

The simplest of designs and fabrics have been used to make couture creations...it's a matter of the construction and time put into the garment. Not how mainstream the fabric is...I think there are a few topics here at TFS on haute couture...As for the Kaiser, I agree he is overated, but deserves to be. He is a legend, and like it or not, has created many looks and continues to update a fashion house that I couldn't imagine any other designer maintaining.

LostInNJ said:
The simplest of designs and fabrics have been used to make couture creations...it's a matter of the construction and time put into the garment. Not how mainstream the fabric is...I think there are a few topics here at TFS on haute couture...As for the Kaiser, I agree he is overated, but deserves to be. He is a legend, and like it or not, has created many looks and continues to update a fashion house that I couldn't imagine any other designer maintaining.

I totally agree! :woot:

i agree he's getting less and less creative!!!! however i must admit i like his recent couture jean collection - i liked it that he didn't take himself seriously with it. Resort was blah, and so was Chanel F/W 06/07 (RTW)

LostInNJ said:

Agree. More than Tom Ford or Galliano, he is ***THE*** star designer. He's got THE look, and he was the ONE who put his face or his heavily Chrome-Hearted hands on t-shirts ^_^
(well in fact Donatella did it before him ha ha :innocent: I saw them at a Versace shop, it was quite ridiculous, there was a picture of her with something like "Donatella Insane" and "Problem? Call 441-4545-474 DONATELLA" I'm pretty sure nobody bought it :lol: )

I admire him and his designs. I have, though, a problem with what he's used to say about fat people. I'm not particularly kind with so-called fat people, nor I care about this issue, but he said something like "If I were the king, the Fats would be obliged to do sport and be on diet" which is certainly NOT the most intelligent thing he has ever said.

^ everything in that show did it for me, makeup, hair, clothes, the set...! the menswear was nice too

Are there any sites with that show (Chanel Fall 2005) that are free to view?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some people get too caught up with the idea of clothing being unwearable, which is an awful reason not to like an outfit, or even the designer. Karl may be overrated... but he is certainly a great designer.

Also... I think Coco Chanel would love what Chanel is today. If you actually look at what she did and compare it to Karl's Chanel, it is rather similar. However, i don't think that that matters anyway... It is a different world. Being sort of commercial and young sometimes is not a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->