1950s-1980s Pierre Cardin

maybe someone has pictures of his first pret-a-porter collection?

Pierre Cardin Retrospective Planned for the Brooklyn Museum This Summer

The space race of the Sixties fascinated Cardin, who has always taken a futuristic approach to his work.

By Rosemary Feitelberg on April 10, 2019

Timed for what will be the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing, the Brooklyn Museum will unveil “Pierre Cardin: Future Fashion,” an exhibition dedicated to the French designer’s seven-decade career.

Cardin’s Space Age fashion and futuristic designs will be launched on July 20 and will run through January 5. The designer was fascinated by the space race of the Sixties. During a visit to NASA, Cardin bribed a security guard to let him try on Neil Armstrong’s space suit. In an interview with WWD, Cardin recalled how he told the security guard, “’Look, sir, my greatest happiness in life would be to try on that suit.’ He told me it was impossible. He was about to put it in a transparent glass case. I said, ‘Listen, be a pal.’ He did me a huge kindness and I gave him a $50 bill. He took my picture. That’s how come I have that photograph.”

The 96-year-old French designer looked to space travel and worlds unknown for futuristic inspiration. The U.S. retrospective will feature 170 pieces that date from the Fifties through the present spotlighting an assortment of ready-to-wear, accessories, photographs, film and other materials from Cardin’s vast archives.

A member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts, Cardin has met numerous world leaders, artists and cultural forces through the years. His business acumen has resulted in hundreds of licenses. The Brooklyn Museum’s senior curator of fashion and material culture Matthew Yokobosky plans to highlight how the designer’s bold, forward-looking aesthetic has influenced not only fashion, but also furniture, industrial design, and other sectors.

The Space Age couturier is the subject of an upcoming documentary P. David Ebersole is producing with Todd Hughes titled “House of Cardin.” The filmmakers told WWD last year how they had mined facts about Cardin’s life through their research such as his four-year relationship with Jeanne Moreau. The designer’s early days included working for Christian Dior, and Cardin also designed costumes for the 1946 French film “Beauty and the Beast.”

Last year the Savannah College of Art and Design featured Cardin’s designs in “Pierre Cardin: Pursuit of the Future.” That exhibition was held at the SCAD FASH Museum of Fashion + Film on its Atlanta campus. In 2017, the Breakers mansion in Newport, R.I., staged a runway show of his work. The designer has said, “The clothes I prefer are the garments I invent for a lifestyle that does not yet exist — the world of tomorrow.”

WWD

If anyone should be talking to Pierre on the evolution of fashion should either be Julien Dossena or the Coperni duo...

Fall/Winter 1968
Photographed by: Bill Ray

artsandculture.google

“Rib Cage” Cocktail Dress - c. 1969

This body-hugging, loose waist dress in princess cut might also be a robe for “tomorrow”. The navel-deep neckline is rimmed by an eye-catching, sculptural stainless steel application that documents Cardin’s interest in technical innovations.

artsandculture.google

"Target" Dress - Spring/Summer 1966

Observer Magazine, 6 March 1966 (Model: Hiroko Matsumoto)

'Matefin' wool muslin by Staron.

Inspired by the visual and chromatic aesthetic of Op Art, his 'Target' dress became an icon of its decade: worn by his muse, the model Yoko, it featured in all the leading magazines, including Elle in the spring of 1966. This is the ultimate cutting feat: Cardin succeeded in embedding a black circle in two larger yellow and orange ones, themselves embedded in the body of the ivory dress.

palaisgalliera.paris.fr
ebay

Last edited:
I can't embed the link, but I found an interesting mini-documentary about Pierre Cardin from 1972. It's fascinating to see him cutting away. You can also spot a baby Jean Paul Gaultier in it. Here's the link.

Screenshotter--PersonnagelempireCardinINA-2’08”.jpg Screenshotter--PersonnagelempireCardinINA-2’35”.jpg Screenshotter--PersonnagelempireCardinINA-2’48”.jpg Screenshotter--PersonnagelempireCardinINA-3’09”.jpg Screenshotter--PersonnagelempireCardinINA-4’01”.jpg

my screencaps

Women's Wear Daily - August 31, 1967
Illustrator:
Kenneth Paul Block

Women's Wear Daily - February 16, 1971
Illustrator:
Kenneth Paul Block

wwd

Woman's necklace - 1971

This necklace consists of a flat metal neckband from which hangs five flat metal pieces graduated in size and connected by links. The smallest top panel and the largest bottom panel are decorated with a bezel set clear acrylic half sphere.

artsandculture.google

Union de Transports Aériens Stewardess Uniform - 1968
(From Fashion In Flight: A History of Airline Uniform Design)

issu

Pierre Cardin Haute Couture & Ready-to-Wear Fall/Winter 1968/69
Photographed by:
Bill Ray (for Life Magazine)

BqixRP03_t.jpg

artsandculture.google

Pierre Cardin Haute Couture Spring/Summer 1968
Photographed by:
Bill Ray (for Life Magazine)
Model: Sin-May Zao

artsandculture.google

Elle - February 21, 1967