1970s-1990s The Japanese Avant-garde

yes, thank you faust. i like this quote by miyake:

In the future if you wear something from A-poc you won't know it . A-poc is not a clothing line, it is a manufactoring technique that I hope many clothing makers can use" and --A-poc technique is going to be used not just for clothes but any material that can be threaded (resin, plastic, metals)

he is truly awesome...is this the end of fashion designers as we know it??

oh, and softie i do know what you are talking about...was it the cover of one of his books?? i forgot the name..

'Plastic Body' 1980 by Issei Miyake (japanese spelling?)

issey miyake 1988
Photo by Irving Penn

Last edited by a moderator:
issey miyake...1992
Photo by Susan Lamer

Rei is and always will be my favorite designer, the first time I saw her clothes my mouth went open! I really feel so so so connected to her work and it really touches me and inspires me.

article about rei...

http://dept.kent.edu/museum/exhibit/japan/infokawakubo.html

i always found her to be more of a reactor...i don't think that motivates the others so much...she seems to have her thumb in many pies-is that the expression? from her clothing, to her pamphlets to her gureilla stores...she seems to be a very good business person--very good instincts.

ISSEY MIYAKE/PHOTOGRAPHS BY IRVING PENN
Various authors • Published 1988 • $50 • US co-publisher: New York Graphic Society Books/Little, Brown
• Co-editions: France, Germany, Japan • 10 1/2 x 12 1/4 inches • 96 pages • 46 full-color plates

This book unites the formidable talents of Japanese fashion designer Issey Miyake and legendary American photographer Irving Penn. The first book released in the United States about Miyake’s work, it was also the first time that Penn created a book-length suite of photographs on the work of a single fellow artist. A softcover edition of the book served as the catalogue for a retrospective exhibition of Miyake’s work at Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris.

1988 GEORGE WITTENBORN AWARD FOR BEST ART BOOK

MulletProof said:
off topic: i really believe we need a superflat thread.

anna karina?:innocent:

hey, i was a superflat girl for halloween! i cut out flourescent coloraid and made bows and eyeglasses etc..but no one knew who i was unfortunately

The term is Takashi Murakami's own, his manifesto on the way various forms of graphic design, pop culture and fine arts are compressed -- flattened -- in Japan. The term also refers to the two-dimensionality of Japanese graphic art and animation, as well as to the shallow emptiness of its consumer culture.

Murakami first arrived at the concept of superflat as it pertained to his own art. "I'd been thinking about the reality of Japanese drawing and painting and how it is different from Western art. What is important in Japanese art is the feeling of flatness. Our culture doesn't have 3-D," he says. "Even Nintendo, when it uses 3-D, the Japanese version looks different from the U.S. version. Mortal Combat in the U.S comes out as Virtual Fighter in Japan and it's different."

He had even noticed it back in his art history classes - searching for connections between nihon-ga and animator Kanada. The link, it turned out, was flatness. He decided that Kanada's animated sci-fi explosions were simply consecutive design motifs. (A still from Kanada's 1979 Galaxy Express 999 is included in the Superflat show.)

One notion of flatness led to another -- the compression of genres in the pop-inflected work of younger artists. "The new generation doesn't think about what is art or what is illustration," Murakami explains. "Their work is 'no genre.'"

Murakami points out that his transformation partly the result of Japan's long recession. The bubble burst in the early '90s, creating a generation that faced a level of economic uncertainty unknown since the '50s. Murakami feels that Japan's long celebration of consumerism has turned to critique.

"The Japanese people get fed TV and media for 24 hours a day," he says. "Now, we have a chance to think, 'what is my life?'" Consumer culture looks only one direction, not evolved. In the '80s, Japanese people didn't think about the meaning of life because of the strong consumer culture. Now, people are realizing there is an end. They have to think about it more than in the past. Young people are looking outside of consumer culture and asking, 'What is life?'" Superflat artists, Murakami says, create their own version of popular culture to draw attention to the dominance of the media, entertainment and consumption. Significantly, many in the exhibition work in the industries they critique. In addition to fine artists, there are commercial photographers, fashion designers, animators, graphic designers and illustrators. Sexual innuendo and black humor are popular topics throughout the show.

http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/drohojowska-philp/drohojowska-philp1-18-01.asp

superflat.jpg

hmmm...thanks travolta...very japanese...^_^

travolta said:
The term is Takashi Murakami's own, his manifesto on the way various forms of graphic design, pop culture and fine arts are compressed -- flattened -- in Japan. The term also refers to the two-dimensionality of Japanese graphic art and animation, as well as to the shallow emptiness of its consumer culture.
thanks travolta!:woot: :heart:

i really like yoshitama nara
smhandsaw.jpg

i have a magazine with several pics of superflat artists, I'm gonna scan them one of these days^_^

travolta said:
kit, i have to agree-at least from what i know about miyake-i haven't seen yohji's clothes or rei's actually, but i've seen miyake's and he is one of the only designers now i that i think about it that i would devote an entire wardrobe to if i could. for example his pleats please line offers everything you would want in a garment: its easy to store, it has its own lightweight flexible internal structure, its machine washable...not to mention his highly innovative A-POC line...he also was smart enough to patent his process which can be used for other products..that is where the future of fashion lies-in the manufactoring...and he's also a realist. he is one of the few designers which can cross the boundry between high fashion and functional ready to wear clothing. I said it before-he needs to do athletic wear!

"Miyake is, at heart, an artist moved by the beauty of the human form and the clothes that enfold it" http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/miyake_pr.html

Actually , Travolta , Pleats Please and APOC are the only two lines that Issey himself designs .

Point of interest :-

The Issey line that is sold in plastic tubes is ' Me Issey Miyake ' . :innocent:

BTW there's not an Antwerp Six thread , per se , but Ann Dem , Dries , and the others have numerous threads .

Monsieur Faust is the recognised expert here . B)

kit said:
Actually , Travolta , Pleats Please and APOC are the only two lines that Issey himself designs .

Point of interest :-

The Issey line that is sold in plastic tubes is ' Me Issey Miyake ' . :innocent:

BTW there's not an Antwerp Six thread , per se , but Ann Dem , Dries , and the others have numerous threads .

Yes, people, Margiela was NOT a part of the Antwerp Six, how many times do I have to tell you?! :lol:

kit said:
i think faust share's that honour with scott, kit...!! :wink:
:flower:

and i would think that the antwerp six would be part of this discussion since they have all pretty much cited the japanese avant-garde as an influence...

they are the next generation of the avant-garde... :flower:

softgrey-can you explain, or faust-a little bit about that?

Yes, my hat off to Scott - he knows his Belgians :flower: :heart:

What would you like to know, Travolta?

if you could give some insight in what ways the belgians-dries whomever were influenced that would be a start...

ok...start a new thread for an in-depth analysis of belgian design...
stick to how they were influenced by the japanese avant-garde aesthetic for this thread...please...or who knows where we'll wind up...we've already started talking about the whole flat thing...:lol:

thanks...:flower:

found this on a-poc...by issey miyake...
the pic is from an exhibit which i attended about 5 years ago...
http://www.designboom.com/eng/funclub/apoc.html
the stuff comes on a giant roll... :P ..and then you cut it up to make your own 'custom' designs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lt3motorsportz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->