1970s-1990s The Japanese Avant-garde

travolta said:
if you could give some insight in what ways the belgians-dries whomever were influenced that would be a start...

Well, they were definitely sighted as an inspiration to create something different, something else than the accepted Parisian fashions. Especially Rei - she was an example of how you can create something completely rebellious and become a success. I don't have any quotes on hand, but I'll dig around in my books over the weekend.

00134.L.JPG
00021.L.JPG
00022.L.JPG

miyake spring '99

Last edited by a moderator:
Such good articles and info on Rei and Miyake, thank you so much:-).

I didn't know much about Miyake, except for a film by BBC about fashion in the 90s, where thet showed Miyake and his fabric experimentation.

Here are some old Comme:-)

CdG 83
CdG_3.jpg

Tricot 83
83_tricot_2.jpg

83_tricot_1.jpg

CdG 86
cdg_86_1.jpg

cdg_86_2.jpg

The pics come from various catalogs that Comme used to do in the 80s.

From Six mag.

six_1_1.jpg

six_1_3.jpg

I don't know where it comes from:-) looks similar to the 86 catalog
card_9.jpg

thanks for the images ngth-it's pretty incredible how contemporary they still look

softgrey said:
i think faust share's that honour with scott, kit...!! :wink:
:flower:

Awfully sorry Scott :flower:

You share equal honours with Faust.

( BTW , Scott , I've got the original Guardian Dries interview , with colour pics .
Do you want me to bung it in the post - as a penance ? :cry: )

You are welcome, Travolta:-)

Here are the famous Cindy Sherman photos from 94
CindySherman_1.jpg

CindySherman_2.jpg

CindySherman_3.jpg

CindySherman_4.jpg

CindySherman_5.jpg

thanks for the pics travolta...:heart:...those are great!!

unfortunately all i see are red X's in ngth's posts...:(

Sorry I seem to have some problems with my server:-(

it would be great to post as many pics here from the 80's as possible...to see what the big deal was when they burst onto the scene..!!...and what the actual designs were that now influence so many people who grew up with them and whose own aesthetics were partly shaped by having seen those clothes as they were coming up...:flower:

The first Comme by Rei piece that I was ever aware of was a huge wool smock dress , with large shirring on the chest , modelled by a deaf american actress for a newspaper interview in the early 80s .It was TOTALLY unlike anything I had ever seen before .

I remember BROWNS in London sold Comme exclusively at first , and then the franchise was taken over by a danish entrepreneur - Peder Bertelsen - who was opening name boutiques all over the place ( eg Armani etc. ) .

Browns got the franchise back after he downsized , and kept it until Dover Street Market opened .

ISSEYjkt.jpg
ISSEYjktback.jpg
miyake wool kimono jacket 1970s
www.k8tykat.com/images/ market/ISSEYjkt.jpg

plantationjack.jpg
plantationjackback.jpg

1980s flannel jacket
<edit-from enokiworld.com

1980s Issey Miyake Plantation Flannel Jacket
Issey Miyake's pret-a-porter label was a first for Japanese designers. Inspired by plain Japanese folk, these were his casual clothes.... A supple black wool flannel thigh-length jacket with grey paintbrush stripes running vertically down either side of the placket and left sleeve. Closes with a row of ebonized wood buttons that have tons of grainy texture, the high collar folds down in a jaunty asymmetrical roll. :heart:....
hope you don't mind travolta...just wanted to add this...:flower:>

isseylayershirt.jpg
isseylayershirtback.jpg

1980s tiered linen blouse
isseywoolcoat.jpg
isseywoolcoatback.jpg
isseywoolcoatbackdetail.jpg

1980s wool shawl

that last shawl you posted travolta looks so much like dries...doesn't it?...
and rei's whole notion that there can be two holes for the head or three sleeves...defying convention...doesn't that sound like the entire philsophy that martin margiela has built his 'maison' on?!?!?...

***there's your belgian influences right there dear....!!!...:heart:...

thanks travolta...those ALL look completely contemporary...i could easily and happily wear all of those right now...:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lt3motorsportz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->