209 dead in bushfires in Victoria, Australia (update: death toll increase)

I so glad Ellen did that. It's good to hear you're alright. I was going to go to Australia but now it's been shelved for awhile.I heard it's arson. any suspects? anyone know more details?

The news said the money raised has now reached $95 million! :woot:

Oh please don't stop from travelling here!

I'm so glad someone has been charged. Lets just hope they have the right person.

The smoke has reached the city (Melbourne) now. I can smell at it at my house.

Oh no, I and the rest of the inner city should be fine - there ain't any fires here that I know of, just smoke from the outer-city fires has travelled here, but thank-you :flower:

I so glad Ellen did that. It's good to hear you're alright. I was going to go to Australia but now it's been shelved for awhile.I heard it's arson. any suspects? anyone know more details?

From last i read in detail, which was a few days ago, there were over 33 individual fires in different locations. Only 2 at the time, were believed to be the work of arsonists.

The blame game has begun and an investigation will take place (rightly so) but right now the culprit is definately looking like the Greens party who have helped state governments get into power. The Greens policies have reduced hazard-protection. e.g. increasing the number of trees per hectare (or allotment?..however they measure it) and therefore creating fuel build-up. The result is that without hazard protection (like backburning, which the Greens i heard are also against or at least want to reduce) the impact of natural disasters becomes far far worse than if hazard protection measures had been taken.

not impressed Bob Brown. but then again, if memory serves me correctly (it probably doesn't actually!) this was the same party that wanted to make ecstasy or something similar, over the counter at pharmacies or something like that.

I agree with Harumi, in regards to the coverage that a major power might give a non-major, kind of irrelevant country like Australia.

Popular media were waiting for Obama to say something, seeing as we're 'allies' and all and was making fun of the fact that we're so irrelevant although Mr Howard's Australia tried to make us 'feel' or at least the politicians 'feel' important. ^_^ I believe Obama has sent a couple of fire experts, and if I were Obama i'd keep the money for an America that seemingly really really needs it.

It doesn't matter...I think Aussies are doing a great job all on our own!

Ah its all been so horrible, those pictures of the koala made me realise how much you forget about all the other animals living in those areas that have just totally perished.

My heart goes out to everyone in Victoria, words can't express how shocked and upset i am.

I am so happy to see that the nation has come together, its been amazing. Yesterday I saw a man who appeared to be homeless donate $20. Today Coles was so packed at 9am that I could hardly move!!

I am in adelaide and this afternoon my suburb has come close to losing homes from a lit fire. It has been 6 hrs and it is 'undercontrol' but it still sounds like a war zone. The winds just keep getting worse and worse, I cannot believe people are so mean and stupid

I cannot imagine how everyone in vic & also qld is feeling, I wish them all the very best :heart:

-I stayed home all day(cause i was sick) and was watching CNN and it was on in there little top of the hours snippets. and ALL DAY was about the stimulus, I'm not saying it want important but they could have spared more than a few minutes.When anything happens to Britain it's covered because they are 'allies' well so is Australia and what if there are Aussies living here? and want to donate? this is not just some foreign country they had troops in Iraq and Afghanistan with the US. Sorry dear,if i sound a little emotional I just hate the hypocrisy of it.the media saying Oh hey Australia in war with us(in the beginning) and then when something bad happens to them it's treated like it's nothing.:( It just upsets me cause it comes off as, we dont care what happens to anyone else,it's about our needs etc. you know?
Oh I totally get what you are saying and I think this story should be a news item in America, just not the main one.:flower:

And the hypocrisy that you mentions runs deeper than just the ally/enemy divide.
Disasters and catastrophes of high magnitude happen in a nearly monthly basis in the Third Word where they don't have the infrastructures and means to properly prevent them or efficiently deal with them, yet they are totally ignored by Western media, unless they happen to involve some White people.
I mean, India sent troops to Iraq too, yet do you ever here about it when a flood or train derailment kills hundred of people or more?
I don't believe either the Thailand Tsunami would have gotten half the coverage it got had it not involved so many Occidentals.

In any case, I am certainly happy with what people like Helen are doing, it's very commendable.
I hope all our Aussie members are safe and sound.:heart:

PS: someone was wondering whether stars have been donating. Apparently they have:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]Stars donate over $20m to the Victorian Bushfire victims[/SIZE][/FONT]

I believe Obama has sent a couple of fire experts

Yes, I heard that as well, but according to this latest article from The Age, it would seem US firefighters are coming too:

Thousands of Victorian and interstate fire fighters will be joined by 52 officers from New Zealand on Saturday, and a further 60 from the United States on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I totally get what you are saying and I think this story should be a news item in America, just not the main one.:flower:

And the hypocrisy that you mentions runs deeper than just the ally/enemy divide.
Disasters and catastrophes of high magnitude happen in a nearly monthly basis in the Third Word where they don't have the infrastructures and means to properly prevent them or efficiently deal with them, yet they are totally ignored by Western media, unless they happen to involve some White people.
I mean, India sent troops to Iraq too, yet do you ever here about it when a flood or train derailment kills hundred of people or more?
I don't believe either the Thailand Tsunami would have gotten half the coverage it got had it not involved so many Occidentals.

In any case, I am certainly happy with what people like Helen are doing, it's very commendable.
I hope all our Aussie members are safe and sound.:heart:

PS: someone was wondering whether stars have been donating. Apparently they have:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]Stars donate over $20m to the Victorian Bushfire victims[/SIZE][/FONT]

exactly.I completely agree. it's a relief that you got what i was saying cause alot is lost in print.:flower: I am so glad people are donating. even in this recession we can all come together. :heart:Does anyone know if Pres. Obama has released a statement? cause he should. I havent seen anything on tv. right now a plane crashed last night and so it's 24 hour news about that. (which i get but still)

i really wish every player who got to the quarters or better at the australian open this year(where its held in melbourne in the state of victoria)would donate at least half of their prize money to relief efforts. i mean i'm almost certain about 80% or more of the spectators who came out to see these matches are from melbourne and the surrounding area within victoria. why not? they come out and show their utmost support and pay for tickets to help give them prize money,it's just right.

^They really should.

US raises $76,000 for Victoria fires victims
By Peter Mitchell in Los Angeles
February 15, 2009 03:06pm

AUSTRALIAN and Americans have come together in Los Angeles and New York to raise more than $76,587 for victims of the Victoria fires.
Organisers in both cities were astounded by the turnout.

The Los Angeles event was held at Sunset Boulevard bar The Blue Goose Lounge while several thousand New Yorkers packed Manhattan bar and restaurant, The Australian, throughout the day.

"It was shoulder to shoulder throughout the entire day and night," Australian Consul General in New York, John Olsen said.

"On a holiday weekend in New York to have that sort of response and turnout was tremendous."

Olsen estimated more than $76,587 alone was raised at the New York function for the Australian Red Cross Bushfire Appeal, where a $30.63 entry fee was charged, $3.06 from every drink was donated to the appeal and raffles for VB, Tooheys and Boags beer and Tim Tams were held.

Australian gridiron star Ben Graham attended and signed a pair of his NFL boots as part of a sports memorabilia auction.

Olsen was also honoured by the turnout of US officials, including senior members of the New York fire and police departments as well as the national president of the Vietnam Veterans of America.

A minute's silence was held at the New York event and the US and Australian national anthems were played.

"I'm staggered with the response," Olsen said.

"If ever there was a question about the US-Australian alliance, it showed it to me in New York tonight it has never been stronger.
"It was very real."
news.com.au

Ah, thanks for the info about the the clebs donating money. They hadn't back when I made my comment, glade they have now! I'm so proud of the Australian people, almost up to 100 million!

Many firefighters lost their own homes.

0,,6481577,00.jpg

Heathcote Junction survivors CFA and SES volunteer Pat Leddin and his wife Lindi return to their destroyed house which was built over 28 years. They intend to rebuild.
0,,6481596,00.jpg

Aaron Robertson from the Kinglake CFA stands in the ruins of his house. He was down in St Andrews fighting fires when Kinglake was hit. He and the crew that he was with saved a number of houses in St Andrews.
0,,6482125,00.jpg

CFA volunteer Hayden looks at the remains of 100-year-old Roslyn House, in Taggerty, which he rented.

Kinglake and the the city
0,,6483404,00.jpg

The once fabled view of Melbourne from Kinglake West is now a stark reminder of the danger on the city's doorstep.

all photos from news.com.au

^ So so so sad :(

That picture of Melb's skyline is scary

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->