A Lasting Impression : The Influence of Classic Icons

Inspiration: Marianne Faithfull's menswear style

The Inspired: Balenciaga Fall 2007 Collection

photos from www.frillr.com, corbis, and Fashion rocks magazine.

Attachments

• 3068322.jpg
    3068322.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2089040964_7e2490de43_o.jpg
    2089040964_7e2490de43_o.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 16
  • mflgl.jpg
    mflgl.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(3)_preview.jpg
    Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(3)_preview.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(6)_preview.jpg
    Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(6)_preview.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(5)_preview.jpg
    Balenciaga%20Fall%202007%20WOmens%20Ad%20Campaign%20(5)_preview.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 445
  • fadssgpg.jpg
    fadssgpg.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 42
Inspiration: Brigitte Bardot

I think Brigitte Bardot is Kate Moss's #1 inspiration...

I made some montages that i think prove it :wink:

(BB on the left, Kate on the right)

bk01wd9.jpg

bk02vb2.jpg

bk03nf5.jpg

bk04ha4.jpg

bk05nh1.jpg

bk06sc9.jpg

bk2bx2.jpg

pics sources: KateMossOnline, TFS, cafedaum, profimage, corbis, TPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"Octopussy" from Numero June/ July 2007
Inspiration: Ursula Andress in "Dr. No"
Bio: Born March 19, 1936, Andress is a Golden Globe winning Swiss actress and major sex symbol of the 1960's. She is best known for her role as Honey Ryder in the 007 flick, "Dr. No."

The Original

The Inspired

I love the campy-ness of the old Bond movies. I love all the Bond girls and their sexist, anti-feminist names and personalities (more like the lack-thereof). They were sexy and they were the epitome of the 60's. Ursula Andress is one of the most famous Bond girls and the editorial from Numero with Caroline Trentini absolutely captures the spirit of the first scene in Dr. No when we meet Honey Ryder, coming out of the water in all her sexpot glory.

image credits: (tonova.typepad.com/ virginmedia.com/ hollywoodcultmovies.com/ perfect007.com/ scanned by BerlinRocks)

Thanks for reviving the thread. Bond girls are interesting in that they are just more explicit examples of womens general film roles. At least they're honest about using them as accessories in a male-dominated field.

KEATON IN LOVE
The Inspiration: Buster Keaton

The Original:
Buster Keaton is considered one of the greatest comic actors of all time. His influence on physical comedy is rivaled only byCharlie Chaplin. Like many of the great actors of the silent era, Keaton's work was cast into near obscurity for many years. Only toward the end of his life was there a renewed interest in his films. An acrobatically skillful and psychologically insightful actor, Keaton made dozens of short films and fourteen major silent features, attesting to one of the most talented and innovative artists of his time.

2605569148_05b3bb329d_m.jpg

source | hnabooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlkdtS8OFlA

The Inspired:
Vogue Novias España Spring Summer 2008
Model: Jennifer Pugh
Photographer: Eugenio Recuenco

source | mixologies

What a great editorial. Thanks, MMA. :flower:

I love looking through this thread. It's fascinating to see how photographers, models and stylists interpret classic style and popular culture icons.

Alexander McQueen Fall/ Winter 2004
Inspiration: Princess Leia from "Star Wars"
Info: Carrie Fisher played Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy from 1977-1983. Princess Leia is an intergalactic princess with a futuristic, tough, yet glamorous wardrobe to match.
Star Wars Costumes Designed by: John Mollo

The Original
http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=23091_leia4_122_1069lo.jpg

The Inspired

McQueen Fall/ Winter 2004 is one of my favorite McQueen collections of all time. I love the futuristic inspiration and the contrast between the gorgeously draped pieces (reminiscent of Leia's white draped pieces) and the extremely constructed suits (reminiscent of Leia's more utilitarian/ military pieces) and of course, the gowns that were clearly inspired by Leia's slave outfit. Even the large metal discs that two of the models wear at their ears have a very similar feeling Leia's huge side buns that became such an iconic hairstyle.

(costumersguide/ style)

Like a Rolling Stone
Inspiration: Mick Jagger circa Performance
Info: Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger, Kt (born July 26, 1943) is a Golden Globe-winning and two-time Grammy-winning English rock musician, actor, songwriter, record and film producer and businessman, best known as the lead vocalist and frontman of the rock and roll band The Rolling Stones. [wiki]

The Original

The Inspired

Magazine: Numéro 52
Ph.:
Jean-Baptiste Mondino
Styling by: Yvonne Sporre
Model: Rianne ten Haken

models.com, mondinomonde.byethost13.com, livejournal.com/~film_stills

Valentine F.
Inspiration: Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (1981)
Info: This movie portrays the drug scene in Berlin in the 70s, following tape recordings of Christiane F. 14 years old Christiane lives with her mother and little sister in a typical multi-storey apartment building in Berlin. She's fascinated by the 'Sound', a new disco with most modern equipment. Although she's legally too young, she asks a friend to take her. There she meets Detlef, who's in a clique where everybody's on drugs. Step by step she gets drawn deeper into the scene. [wiki]
Directed by: Uli Edel
Costume Design: Myrella Bordt

The Original

The Inspired

Magazine: Vice Le Numéro Mode 2008
Ph.: Edouard Plongeon
Styling by: Marine Braunschvig
Model: Valentine Fillol Cordier

geocities.com/prittikittikat, viceland.com

mia cara
Inspiration:
Again, Mia Farrow during Rosemary's Baby's fame

The Original

The Inspired

Magazine: Vogue Italia September 2002
Ph.: Steven Meisel
Model: Emily Sandberg

imdb.com, world-of-celebrities.com, corbis.com, scans by ironbed

Eyes of Linda
Inspiration: Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)
Info: The cult '70s Faye Dunaway film Eyes of Laura Mars is a longstanding fashion favorite but no one has plumbed the film's creative depths as perfectly as Argentine photographer Sebastian Faena in V52. Faena casts supermodels Linda Evangelista and Raquel Zimmermann in his homage to the fabled film, shooting the pair as they reenact a few select scenes. It might be the first time Linda has picked up the lens, posing as photographer Laura Mars shooting the languid Raquel as she poses on a pink satin bed for an anti-depression drug commercial. It's a hilarious and over-the-top production that could truly only find a home within V's pages. And that's a good thing. [vmag]

The Original

The Inspired

Magazine: V #52
Ph.: Sebastien Faena
Styling by: Mel Ottenberg
Models: Linda Evangelista & Raquel Zimmermann

screenmusings.org, scans by Faith Akiyama

THE ORIGINAL: ANITA PALLENBERG & MARIANNE FAITHFULL
THE INSPIRED: JUST CAVALLI PRET-A-PORTER F/W 08-09

Two of the most inspiring rock and roll icons in history of music and fashion. One more time, they appeared as one of the most influential women, this time for the Just Cavalli line that appears to channel the boho chic spirit not just on the runway, also in the ads with Kate Moss, the big heiress of these unforgettable girls style.

ADS BY INEZ VAN LAMSWEERDE & VINOODH MATADIN

sources: style.com, my own blog

Gorgeous thread.
Im looking for the Patti smith thread? Is there one I haven't come across? I love her.
Thanks in advance

Dior Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2005
Inspiration: White Ambassador's Ball gown from "My Fair Lady"
Info:
"My Fair Lady" (1964) starred Audrey Hepburn. The role is considered one of her greatests, alongside Holly Golightly from "Breakfast at Tiffany's."
My Fair Lady costumes designed by: Cecil Beaton

The Original

The Inspired

While the third and final section in Dior Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2005 is clearly inspired by Empress Josephine, there is also a very heavy dose of Eliza Doolittle. After all, the collection did have a very 60's influence, so it only makes sense that even the Josephine section would have a slightly 1960's bent, as well. The Cecil Beaton designed empire waisted, white gown, the jewels, the hair...the entire look from the film is very apparent in John's designs.

(imdb/ style)

These women are such a huge influence for me. I wish I could dress like them today, but people would probably look at me like I was crazy. Yesterday, I wore a lovely hat to an event that required it (horse event) and I felt so beautiful all day. I can only imagine feeling that way on a regular basis. But it's not acceptable anymore.:(

These women had such poise and class, not only style. I'm obsessed with the old fashioned way of doing everything (etiquette, entertaining, etc). We've come so far a a society in a lot of ways (technology) but we've lost our charm and class and style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->