A Lasting Impression : The Influence of Classic Icons

'50s Flashback
The Inspiration: Kim Novak
Marilyn Pauline Novak was born February 13th 1933 and is a Roman Catholic of Czech descent. Novak's blonde good looks won her a contract with Columbia, and she debuted in two films in 1954. She quickly became a popular star, and her liaisons with Frank Sinatra, Cary Grant, and Sammy Davis Jr. added to her cachet. Her strongest acting performances came opposite Jimmy Stewart in Hitchcock's Vertigo (1953) and Bell, Book, and Candle (1958). Her career faded somewhat in the 1960s. Most recently she appeared in the 1986–87 season of the TV series Falcon Crest. She also appeared in Mike Figgis's Liebestraum (1991). She is married to Dr. Robert Malloy and lives in Oregon.

The Original

image source | glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen

The Inspired

Model: Amber Valletta
Styled by: Brana Wolf
Photographed by: Peter Lindbergh

image source | fason.ru

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered this thread...oh goodness....thanks guys!

The last case - Amber and Kim - is kind of a strange combo. It's clearly inspired by Novak, but Kim had that content cat look - cat that just lapped up a full plate of cream - can't see much of that in Amber...AT ALL.

How fantastic - I would never have thought of Dovima, but when you pointed it out, Kristen looks just like her there.

^Actually I was thinking the same thing about the Kim/Amber. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that one:unsure:

Is there such a thing as poster's remorse:doh: :lol:

:flower:

^Actually I was thinking the same thing about the Kim/Amber. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that one:unsure:

Is there such a thing as poster's remorse:doh: :lol:

:flower:

No! It was perfect!:heart: You saw something I probably wouldn't see because of their "vibe" dissimilarity :flower: It's clear they draw inspiration from Novak - but it didn't turn out that great...although just because it lends some inspiration it doesn't mean it has to be that similar. I prefer Novak, though :blush:

The Leading Lady
Inspiration: Ava Gardner
Bio: Ava Lavinia Gardner (December 24, 1922 – January 25, 1990) was an Academy Award-nominated American screen actress who worked on film and television. She is listed as one of the American Film Institute's greatest stars of all time.
Phototgrapher: Mario Testino
Model: Daria Werbowy

The Original:

The Inspired:

Above all things I think this editorial is beautiful. Just very well done - the colors are lovely and Daria really shines. The overall Ava look is captured wonderfully and Daria really just falls into the role in a way that's amazing - I don't think she looks that much like Ava (Diana Dondoe reminds me much more of Ava to be honest) but in the pictures she just gets it. The styling is impeccable - I think US Vogue really does this kind of very retro styling well. My only complaint would be that they didn't have picture that focused on bullfighting as it was one of Ava's passions. I think that would have been a lovely addition though even without that added bonus this edit is of the highest quality.

Image Credit | Style.com & Corbis

^^ Great analysis and thoughts, Luxx! I love the retro and vintage detail. The styling, makeup and hair work really well. :flower:

Luxx :heart: Yeah, I think it's very well done. Daria makes herself look like Ava and she naturally has the amazonian flair. She's gotten Ava's signature poses down perfectly...helped by the stylists who found her the clothes that would allow her to emphasize that of course. The only thing I'm missing is that 50s "woman in man's huge arms" kinda deal :lol: It's sort of dated, though...

VOODOO
The Inspiration: Marlene Dietrich in Blonde Venus (1932)

The Original

image source | amazon & imdb

The Inspired

W October 2007
Model: Kate Moss
Styled by: Alexandra White
Photographed by: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

image source | style

JACKIE O
The inspiration: "
Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy Onassis (July 28, 1929May 19, 1994) was the wife of John F. Kennedy from 1953 to 1963 and was known as Jacqueline Kennedy or Jackie Kennedy. She served as First Lady of the United States from 1961 until her husband's assassination in 1963. She was married to Aristotle Onassis from 1968 until his death in 1975, and was known as Jacqueline Onassis, Jackie Onassis, or more informally as Jackie O. In later years she had a successful career as a book editor. She preferred her first name to be pronounced in the French manner". (From Wikipedia)

THE ORIGINAL

[URL=http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=77149_42-18592608_122_827lo.jpg]

[/URL]
THE INSPIRED
[SIZE=-1]"Les Collections: La mode de jour" - Vogue Paris, year unknown[/SIZE]

Model: Linda Morand
Photographer:
Helmut Newton

Source: Corbis.com, Mini mad mods

The very best thread I have read & seen. CHEERS TO YOU! I definitely agree that Vogue is amazing at retro-styling. You can see their editors & photographers really understand the history of fashion. I can't wait to see more!

DER BLAUE ENGEL
The Inspiration: Marlene Dietrich in The Blue Angel (1930)

The Original

2203047892_c356b7084c_m.jpg

source | imagesjournal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdnd0xMGAA

The Inspired

Vanity Fair Germany December 2007
Models: Nadja Auermann,
Jan Josef Liefers, Sophie Rois, Gustav Peter Wöhler, Clemens Schick

Styled by: Julia Freitag
Photographed by: Julian Dufort

source | bwgreyscale:achAT-scans

Suddenly, This Summer
The Inspiration: Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer

The Original:

image source: IMDB

The Inspired:
Photographed by: Kurt Iswarienko

image source: http://www.blackbookmag.com/comments/suddenly-this-summer2/

A fashion story inspired by Liz Taylor's white one-piece and that Tennessee Williams goth.
Elizabeth Taylor was having none of that “one-piece suit made of white lisle” that her cousin bought her to procure young men in Cabeza de Lobo—she called it “a scandal to the jay-birds!” But we found it drop-dead gorgeous, thus making Scene 7 of the Tennessee Williams camp-classic the inspiration for this swimwear preview. Sebastian, we believe, would approve. - blackbookmag.com

Also in reference to this earlier post by MissMagAddict (thank you so much)

The Inspired

Model: Amber Valletta
Styled by: Brana Wolf
Photographed by: Peter Lindbergh

This shoot also makes me think of Eve Arnold's off-set images of Marilyn Monroe's 1961 film The Misfits!
marilyn1.jpg

monroegallery

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->