A Tribute to the 90s Supermodels

Cindy Crawford, Tatiana Patitz, Helena Christensen, Linda Evangelista, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, Karen Mulder, Stephanie Seymour by Peter Lindbergh, September 1991 US Vogue (from bwgreyscale:(

wildatheart_bw01.JPG

Personal faves from the 90s: Kate, Stephanie and Nadja. And of late I'm getting rather into Cindy too - she was awesome...

Attachments

• GlamourFra-Nov1991-NadjaAuermann_MikaelJansson008sm.jpg
    GlamourFra-Nov1991-NadjaAuermann_MikaelJansson008sm.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 32
  • retr1108.jpg
    retr1108.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 36
Helena_Christensen147_pecran.jpg

helenachristensen416.jpg

Sorry for butting in but i think Helena has the most beautiful, unusual and underated face.

German Engineerings.......Nadja Auermann and Claudia Schiffer
versace.jpg

^^^I think the prettiest, is a tie between Linda Evangelista and Cindy Crawford, no?

the taylors

linda & christy always look especially **close** don't they? :wink:

thats a strong vogue cover, i actually like elaine irwin, mulder, christy & then schiffer the best.

btw niki taylor didnt age well as a model and her ex husband & other things detracted from her image, but find bikini pics from niki's fiirst 5 years [elle, vogue, SI etc] & see what a marvelous swim model she was. with all the built-in superficial/ mindless ramifications of that title. but what a swim body & florida vibe!

krissy taylor was a fantastic teen model too, her story is even sadder than niki's. :(

Niki in swimsuit.....I always thought that she got the best smile in the industry, I like her mole.....
Niki054.jpg

lady grey said:
linda & christy always look especially **close** don't they? :wink:

thats a strong vogue cover, i actually like elaine irwin, mulder, christy & then schiffer the best.

btw niki taylor didnt age well as a model and her ex husband & other things detracted from her image, but find bikini pics from niki's fiirst 5 years [elle, vogue, SI etc] & see what a marvelous swim model she was. with all the built-in superficial/ mindless ramifications of that title. but what a swim body & florida vibe!

krissy taylor was a fantastic teen model too, her story is even sadder than niki's. :(

In the tribute to Krissy in 17 after her death (Claire Danes cover) there were swimsuit photos of the two together. I remember one with legs intertwined and both were young and thus super blonde at the time. It was a bit odd because it looked like a test photo but it was a family snapshot and Nikki supposedly hadn't started yet...

Cindy, Christy and Stephanie for Versace...
shot by Steven Meisel

love these pictures! models today just don't have this kind of personality in pictures anymore....

Attachments

• 94-03-11.jpg
    94-03-11.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 137
  • 94-03-13.jpg
    94-03-13.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 106
  • 94-03-16.jpg
    94-03-16.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 91
I ADORE the true supermodels......they had something that was so rare, and made them so eye-catching and beautiful. As the model agents would say, "They had that certain IT".

I think one of the things that is really special for the late 80s early 90s supermodels is the length of their carreer. Linda started out in like 1983 but her peak came in 1991, Stephanie started in like 1985 and had her peak in 1992 or so, Cindy started in 1983 and peaked between 1987 and 1993 (one hell of a career she had) and Christy started in like 1985 and peaked around 1991 or so. All these ladies had long carreers and of course they then have something else to offer than models who are very very fresh but also very inexperienced and new to the game, like Daria and Gemma....if they are allowed to hang around for 5 years they might too be able to show some more personality. But don't get me wrong - I think that Gemma might actually be a better model than many of the 90s supermodels because she has a fluidity in her movements and a quirkiness that they didn't have - which really is more of a late 60s thing (Penelope Tree, Twiggy).

21st century best models since 1960s

totally agree I find the 21st century girls MUCH more interesting than [generalization here] the most celebrated 80s/90s supes.

since the mid-90s approx fashion started to embrace a more unusual look -
kate moss made the world safe for gemma.
Ive followed fashion a long time and just to name SOME of the super interesting models in recent years:
mariacarla
karen elson
an oost
nadine strittmatter
luca
louise
ben grimes
jeisa
leticia
liya
anouck
roos
anne-catherine

....of the 80s girls, the ones that really stand out to me are like janice dickenson & paulina porizkova. I think a lot of the 80s girls look awful by todays standards: kathy ireland- kim alexis- rachel hunter- elle macpherson.
doesnt matter if theyre 'beautiful' - they are bland amazons with nowhere near the impact of julia, luca, winberg, gemma, elise, marija.
IMO the so called great 80s/90s supes like cindy crawford are AWFUL.

the few that do transcend that are christy turly, elaine irwin, mulder, some linda e, helena c & some niki taylor.
amber & shalom are better than any of the SI bimbos, they along with kate represented a more unique look in the 90s.

Im FAR more impressed with the 21st century girls incl. anja, valentina, marija, natalia, gemma, julia, winberg, anouck, etc etc. their beauty is more challenging & more diverse, deeper.
even a classic swim model like buswell has a far more challenging look than niki taylor for example.

basically by kate moss being 5'7" & a slightly unusual look, she changed the entire modelling business & made the stephanie seymour SI bombshell irrelevant.

the brazilian girls represented a brief return to that bodacious thing in late 90s/2000 but look, its already been supplanted by all the girls I named who have made the 21st century the best decade for models ever, or at least since the 1960s, which produced many distinctive models, not cookie cutter SI bikini girls like christie brinkley rachel hunter & elle macpherson. that bland 80s/90s beauty is over & thank god for kate gemma marija anja heather stam so many unique beauties now, not the bland 80s sports illustrated body thing.
as great as gisele's career has been, isnt natalia a more interesting beauty? gemma? louise? karen? arent these more challenging deeper beauties that make one proud to be a fashion fan in 2005?

The Supermodels of all Supermodels

Attachments

• 97-07-10.jpg
    97-07-10.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 77
another supermodel vogue cover...

Attachments

• 93-04-00.jpg
    93-04-00.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 157
Xt

theres no dobt that Turly was the cream of that crop. :heart:

even from those pics its clear that helena, steph & schiffer had talent but nowhere near turly's level. :o

I'm not sure if Claudia was in the absolute top, but I knew her name and face very well and I was like 10 yrs old at the time and she was always my favourite.

rw17.JPG

cl02.JPG

mi08.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->