A Tribute to the 90s Supermodels

My favourite - Rachel Williams

0194.jpg

a great ad

0218.jpg

0244.jpg

lady grey said:
Ive always loved that shoot...was it Demarchelier?
the blonde next to omi is beri smithers, a way hot dutch girl that was doing great and then got seriously into drugs. she came back a few years later but never came back to where she had been. you still see her in an occasional catalog but her peak was early-mid 90s. elite I think.

arent kate & jaime rishar cute?

look how hot bridget was when she was new!!! I loved her early work but she looks NOTHING like that now.

even though kate probably partied as much as bridget [more?] think kate today looks something like she does in this pic but bridget looks nothig like that now. especially her body- look how hot BH's long lithe physique was!!

at that time turly was one of my fave models, prob my favourite, although I liked kate bridget & also amber a lot back then.
I dont think that is turly's best picture, there are a lot better ones of her.

no way, the girl next to Naomi is Amber Valletta, not Beri Smither, that photoshoot was featured in that famous fashion documental called Catwalk, starred by Christy Turlington.

lady grey said:
totally agree I find the 21st century girls MUCH more interesting than [generalization here] the most celebrated 80s/90s supes.

since the mid-90s approx fashion started to embrace a more unusual look -
kate moss made the world safe for gemma.
Ive followed fashion a long time and just to name SOME of the super interesting models in recent years:
mariacarla
karen elson
an oost
nadine strittmatter
luca
louise
ben grimes
jeisa
leticia
liya
anouck
roos
anne-catherine

....of the 80s girls, the ones that really stand out to me are like janice dickenson & paulina porizkova. I think a lot of the 80s girls look awful by todays standards: kathy ireland- kim alexis- rachel hunter- elle macpherson.
doesnt matter if theyre 'beautiful' - they are bland amazons with nowhere near the impact of julia, luca, winberg, gemma, elise, marija.
IMO the so called great 80s/90s supes like cindy crawford are AWFUL.

the few that do transcend that are christy turly, elaine irwin, mulder, some linda e, helena c & some niki taylor.
amber & shalom are better than any of the SI bimbos, they along with kate represented a more unique look in the 90s.

Im FAR more impressed with the 21st century girls incl. anja, valentina, marija, natalia, gemma, julia, winberg, anouck, etc etc. their beauty is more challenging & more diverse, deeper.
even a classic swim model like buswell has a far more challenging look than niki taylor for example.

basically by kate moss being 5'7" & a slightly unusual look, she changed the entire modelling business & made the stephanie seymour SI bombshell irrelevant.

the brazilian girls represented a brief return to that bodacious thing in late 90s/2000 but look, its already been supplanted by all the girls I named who have made the 21st century the best decade for models ever, or at least since the 1960s, which produced many distinctive models, not cookie cutter SI bikini girls like christie brinkley rachel hunter & elle macpherson. that bland 80s/90s beauty is over & thank god for kate gemma marija anja heather stam so many unique beauties now, not the bland 80s sports illustrated body thing.
as great as gisele's career has been, isnt natalia a more interesting beauty? gemma? louise? karen? arent these more challenging deeper beauties that make one proud to be a fashion fan in 2005?

Oh my godness!, whatta terrible post.

"the so called great 80s/90s supes like cindy crawford are AWFUL."
is Cindy awful?, well, you should know that the fashion world became popular because of Cindy Crawford, did you know that? you should thank her for that.

"made the stephanie seymour SI bombshell irrelevant", what???????????'
SI bomnshell?, lady, at first you should identify what is irrelevant for you and what is irrelevant for the rest of the people, it will be your homework today.

"they are bland amazons with nowhere near the impact of julia, luca, winberg, gemma, elise, marija."

I mean, who the hell is Luca? Marija?, where have they impacted?,hello!

EDIT*

Last edited by a moderator:
Mid 90s minimalism *shiver* don't get me started....it was a terrible terrible time....Kate Moss and Nadja were the only stars left in the skies. People were dressed in beige and grey with 'natural' style make up. No interesting posers because everyone had to be the same.

IMO, the 90s went awry because Kurt Cobain was such a drop dead gorgeous creature - the jawline, the tiny pupil eyes - that he looked good in ANYTHING. That destroyed music (and possibly fashion) for a decade because nobody else - NOBODY - could carry off that style and do it well (ref Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and on we go). And of course, this is a generalization...there were bright spots such as Mr. Alig (not the deed but the sense of burlesque style), Suede, Marilyn Manson, HIM and stuff like that.

iluvjeisa said:
Mid 90s minimalism *shiver* don't get me started....it was a terrible terrible time....Kate Moss and Nadja were the only stars left in the skies. People were dressed in beige and grey with 'natural' style make up. No interesting posers because everyone had to be the same.

IMO, the 90s went awry because Kurt Cobain was such a drop dead gorgeous creature - the jawline, the tiny pupil eyes - that he looked good in ANYTHING. That destroyed music (and possibly fashion) for a decade because nobody else - NOBODY - could carry off that style and do it well (ref Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and on we go). And of course, this is a generalization...there were bright spots such as Mr. Alig (not the deed but the sense of burlesque style), Suede, Marilyn Manson, HIM and stuff like that.

Don't agree. Kurt Cobain certainly didn't "destroy" music. He (and the other two Nirvana members) in fact revolutionized it. Brought back real punk music into the mainstream, while severely diminishing the influence of irrelevant commercial "hair" bands. Thanks to Nirvana's influence, even a "hardcore" metal band like Metallica cut their hair to become more relevant to current rock music culture.

They also had a gigantic influence on pop culture and fashion--the "grunge" look, Seattle, etc.. Even if others didn't "carry it off" as well as Kurt and the boys did, their sound, attitude & fashion sense influenced pop culture dramatically and it continues to this day. (I won't bring up Mark Jacobs' last Perry Ellis collection...no I won't :lol:).

try to keep up

JHB said:
"made the stephanie seymour SI bombshell irrelevant", what???????????'
SI bomnshell?, lady, at first you should identify what is irrelevant for you and what is irrelevant for the rest of the people, it will be your homework today.

"they are bland amazons with nowhere near the impact of julia, luca, winberg, gemma, elise, marija."

I mean, who the hell is Luca? Marija?, where have they impacted?,hello!

well marija was in vanity fair this year. try to keep up with 21st century fashion & then we'll talk.
everybody [except you] knows that the big-busted models of late 80s & 90s are GONE.
that SI commercial look is SO OVER. unless youre the bad taste type that holds to to victoria secret as the pinnacle of fashion [which the real high fashion world mocks & laughs at] -
the late 90s big [fake] boob girls like gisele or lima now are so over, so exiled from high fashion.
you think steph seymour types rule fashion in 2005? youre mistaken
ever since kate moss its been about UNIQUE looks - now we have gemma, elise marija, its not about cup size its about a LOOK, and they ARE the greatest models since the 60s, and more importantly A NEW CENTURY of models. a new paradigm, youre srtuck in 1988, so sad.

top girls today: just to name SOME of the super interesting models in recent years:
gemma
winberg
natalia
poly
anja
mariacarla
karen elson
luca
louise
jeisa
liya
anouck
anne-catherine

you cling to 1990 sports illutsrrated pinups? thats so sad, youre arcane. youre 15 years out of date & the high fashion worlsd mocks your k mart taste.
go ask cindy cowford for an autograph & leave real high fashion to the pros.

that white vogue cover is shockingly funny!!!! the clothes :shock:
oh how the times have changed.

claudia schiffer is the best 80's/90's supermodel to me, she still looks absolutely phenomenal and manages to keep such a balanced lifestyle

QUOTE:"" the fashion world became popular because of Cindy Crawford, ""

your belief that "cindy crawford made fashion popular" in 1988 is the *EDIT*
fashion has been famous in europe for more than 100 years.
fashion has been famous since at least the 1940s in america [as irving penn & many other photogs show].
the 1960s models are STILL the most culturally famous models ever, except for kate moss.
the 2 most famous models ever are twiggy & kate moss.
your notion that cindy c made fashion famous is not just 100% wrong, it shows that you have a bizarre lack of perspective on fashion history.
she was a busty late 80s/early 90s mass market pin up. most famous for her sports illustrated work. her high fashion work was nowhere near as important as janice dickensons, marisa bertensons, jerry hall, patti hansen's.

how can you actually try to lecture me about ciondy crawford when i met her in 1990 & lived through the entire 80s in fashion? surely you were not aware of fashion then? *EDIT*

JHB said:
"the so called great 80s/90s supes like cindy crawford are AWFUL."
is Cindy awful?, well, you should know that the fashion world became popular because of Cindy Crawford, did you know that? you should thank her for that.

lady grey said:
you cling to 1990 sports illutsrrated pinups? thats so sad, youre arcane. youre 15 years out of date & the high fashion worlsd mocks your k mart taste.

:rofl: :rofl: :clap:

some facts to put an end to the nonsense...
about cindy crawford...from vogue.co.uk...

Cindy Crawford (born Cynthia Ann Crawford in 1966) attended Northwestern University for a term, on a Chemical Engineering scholarship, before leaving to model full-time in Chicago.

It was in 1982 that Cindy was given her big break, after winning the Elite Look of the Year award. She went on to become one of the world's most recognised supermodels ever, in an age when supermodels really were the new screen idols. Along with Naomi, Linda, and Tatjana, she was one of the super-cool crew who formed that famous Vogue cover in January 1990 and together their celebrity was capped with an appearance in George Michael's video for Freedom in 1990, after the singer claimed to be too camera-shy.

Cindy was one of the first models to break the mould and move into other markets. Besides catwalk modelling, Cindy has enjoyed long-standing endorsement contracts with the likes of Omega and Revlon (until November 2000, when the company decided it wanted "a new and exciting image"). She has even taken part in a multi-million dollar ad campaign for Pepsi. She also hosted House of Style, a highly successful fashion show for MTV, and produced a string of best-selling fitness videos. In 1995, she made her film debut in Fair Game, opposite William Baldwin. And, in November 1997, she inked a three-year contract with American television network ABC, as a result of which she later made a cameo appearance in award-winning US sitcom Third Rock from the Sun.

It was indisputably as a result of these "outside" interests that Cindy finally dethroned Elle Macpherson as the world's best paid poser in the new millennium. In September 2000, US magazine BusinessAge estimated that she had made over £23 million in her time. In the same year, Forbes claimed that she had earned a total of £5 million in the previous year alone.

Well, Zimdor, it would appear we are diametrically opposed as far as style and music goes. Perhaps not completely since I certainly like Nirvana and some other bands in the same cluster (critically acclaimed pretentious 90s stuff). I will not get started on your (implied) statement that a band is less commercial if it's not a hair band....that's just...uhm....not very eclectic of you B) Let me also remind you that punk rocked emerged from glam rock (NY Dolls, etc), so I would say that Guns n'Roses brought back punk rock into mainstream, rather than Nirvana. But well, well, OT and all that.

Fortunately for me, fashion started going glam again around 2000 (of course with the BIG PARTY and all) and has progressed on that theme since. Music, of course, is somewhat lagged, but last year things started happening and now I see Green Day are using lots of make up these days, which is an improvement.

It goes without saying that we'll soon get right back into the pretentious 'save the world and lets tell the kids about the meaning of life'-bands again, in the familiar circular pattern of fashion, trends, style and history in general.

Personally, I keep hoping for the heroin chic retro - I love pinpoint pupils and strung out decadence (in photos) :flower:

lady grey said:
well marija was in vanity fair this year. try to keep up with 21st century fashion & then we'll talk.
everybody [except you] knows that the big-busted models of late 80s & 90s are GONE.
that SI commercial look is SO OVER. unless youre the bad taste type that holds to to victoria secret as the pinnacle of fashion [which the real high fashion world mocks & laughs at] -
the late 90s big [fake] boob girls like gisele or lima now are so over, so exiled from high fashion.
you think steph seymour types rule fashion in 2005? youre mistaken
ever since kate moss its been about UNIQUE looks - now we have gemma, elise marija, its not about cup size its about a LOOK, and they ARE the greatest models since the 60s, and more importantly A NEW CENTURY of models. a new paradigm, youre srtuck in 1988, so sad.

top girls today: just to name SOME of the super interesting models in recent years:
gemma
winberg
natalia
poly
anja
mariacarla
karen elson
luca
louise
jeisa
liya
anouck
anne-catherine

and if you actually truly think that Marija is more significant than ANY of the 90s supermodels listed in this thread. how many times has Cindy Crawford been in Vanity Fair? What about on the cover of Vogue?? How many has Marija? Nuff' said.

EDIT! Keep this in PM!

anyway, BACK ON TOPIC:

here's the George Michael video -- "Freedom 90" featuring Linda, Christy, Naomi, Cindy, and Tatiana (sp?)

enjoy:

http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0M8YWW55MVIJE3700EQ5M7DVU5

a new century

youre showing us old george michael videos? EDIT!

ILUVJEISA: I totally agree with you about the 90s.
thank god for genius & glam bands like suede & blur instead of the messy & sick Nirvana and worthless pearl jam. kurt cobain is no role model for anyone what a media snowjob.

EDIT*

EDIT*

Its so funny that people still cling to cindy, naomi & linda etc as some deities of fashion, they were overhyped bland girls in a terrible time for fashion.
the 60s & 70s models are the most important models [as much as only a few people here even recognize that] & thank god for the unique 21st century models that are just as great.
EDIT*
cindy really showed her true 'intelligence' by modelling for blackglama- EDIT*.

its so great that theres a new century of supermodels- everyone who weeps all day for EDIT*
the 21st century girls are so much more interesting in looks & diversity- how typical that the average man wants big breasted pinups like a 13 year old boy. bring kleenex.

with each new months magazines the 90s girls are more & more obsolete, more & more consigned to the past. where they belong, a dumbed down & bland era in fashion history that is best forgotten.
:heart: thank god for julia winberg, louise & marija, elise & gemma- real admirable, gorgeous models for a new century. :heart:

EDIT* its cindy c in her suv in malibu. :woot:

okay, lady_grey. we're not swaying each other at all, so then let's agree to disagree and leave it at that, shall we?

^ I knew this would end up in tears :wink:

I don't think today's models are better.
Christy and Linda can give them a run for they money IMO.
They weren't better or worse IMO just different.:flower:

They liked groups shot didn't they ?

90s2cl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaseminnnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->