A Tribute to the 90s Supermodels

*AndoraStar* said:
LOL.. Shot me, but I kinda like what they are wearing!!

Don't we all don't we all ... At least secretly :P

90s23on.jpg

90sherbritts8mu.jpg

iluvjeisa said:
Well, Zimdor, it would appear we are diametrically opposed as far as style and music goes. Perhaps not completely since I certainly like Nirvana and some other bands in the same cluster (critically acclaimed pretentious 90s stuff). I will not get started on your (implied) statement that a band is less commercial if it's not a hair band....that's just...uhm....not very eclectic of you B) Let me also remind you that punk rocked emerged from glam rock (NY Dolls, etc), so I would say that Guns n'Roses brought back punk rock into mainstream, rather than Nirvana. But well, well, OT and all that.

Fortunately for me, fashion started going glam again around 2000 (of course with the BIG PARTY and all) and has progressed on that theme since. Music, of course, is somewhat lagged, but last year things started happening and now I see Green Day are using lots of make up these days, which is an improvement.

It goes without saying that we'll soon get right back into the pretentious 'save the world and lets tell the kids about the meaning of life'-bands again, in the familiar circular pattern of fashion, trends, style and history in general.

Personally, I keep hoping for the heroin chic retro - I love pinpoint pupils and strung out decadence (in photos) :flower:

Yes, it appears we are diametrically opposed, in more ways than one :D. I certainly was not attempting to imply that "a band is less commercial if it's not a hair band". Its a dangerous thing trying to draw meanings out of a word someone writes that has nothing to do with the author's intention :wink:. "Commercial" can mean many things--style of music, number of album sales and so on. And its not about bands, it about performers.

What was important is the attitude of the music Nirvana brought back into the mainstream--anti-mainstream sentiment. Attempting to recapture what rock was really about in the 50's: transcending pain & protesting the status quo while often having fun & being humorous doing it. Essentially, the punk rock revolution of the 70's was returned into popular culture. "Alternative" bands that had been toiling away for years in the underground had a larger audience for their style of music after Nirvana. Green Day, Sum41 and others of the type likely would not have a mainstream stage to perform on as large as they do if it were not for them.

Glam rock certainly played a part in punk, but it was not a primary influence. The real punk aesthetic was anti-glam. Although many people in the scene incorporated glam elements, whether it was song hooks, acting campy onstage or similar. Many credit the real genesis of punk to the Velvet Underground in the late 60's (Lou Reed, etc.) . Certainly, the New York Dolls were a part of it. As was Iggy Pop (Iggy & the Stooges). The Ramones. Then the Sex Pistols came. The Clash. Elvis Costello. And on it went.

Guns N Roses has exactly nothing to do with punk rock--what they were was a return to Led Zeppelin, not punk.

Ok ok, OT :lol:.

Kids today are influenced in fashion by current popular performers, many of whom were influenced by Nirvana. As to high fashion, it changes from year to year, of course. Due to the punk aesthetic being anti-commercial, Nirvana has not has as large an influence on it as they have had on pop fashion. Although back in the early 90's, many high fashion designers took the grunge look and transplanted it onto their runways--Mark Jacobs' ill fated Perry Ellis collection being a prime example.

the think i love about the big girls from the 80/90's...is that even if they were young...they LOOKED like grown women...

i'm not entirely comfortable with the 'little girl' look that so many girls have today...
i guess i prefer strong powerful women...to fragile little 'kittens'...there is something slightly misogynistic about it...:ninja:

i love that picture of nadja in the gold mugler thing-a-ma-jig...:lol:...
so crazy ...but so fun!!...and that george michael video is something i never get tired of...woo...:clap:...

*andora...that's all versace that they're wearing...it was so much better when gianni was still around...:heart:...fun!!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Softie..
I couldn't agree with your comments more! These models were the reason I got into fashion. I'm not suprised that they are wearing "old school" versace, probably why I like the style! Am I giving away my age.. lol!

haha...andora...
age is a state of mind...:kiss:

actually..i think the reason why we don't have models on the covers of magazinesw these days...is because the 'little girls' of today can't sell a magazine the way these girls could...the only one that can ..is gisele...and that's because she is more 'womanly'...

girls like these just don't exist today...i don't know why...
but everyone's been looking for them...and cannot come up with any...
it's odd...
do you guys remember yasmeen ghauri...??

Attachments

• yasmeenchanel.jpg
    yasmeenchanel.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 28
  • yasmeeneyyesclosed.jpg
    yasmeeneyyesclosed.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 26
  • yasmeen.jpg
    yasmeen.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 39
  • yasmeenhair.jpg
    yasmeenhair.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 48
happycanadian said:
and if you actually truly think that Marija is more significant than ANY of the 90s supermodels listed in this thread. how many times has Cindy Crawford been in Vanity Fair? What about on the cover of Vogue?? How many has Marija? Nuff' said.

happycanadian, you totally rock! :flower:

Ladygrey, a gift for you, enjoy it.

Cindy Inc. for Vanity Fair US and Rolling Stone US, the three covers by Herb Ritts.
cc5jw.jpg

Claudia Schiffer for Vanity Fair US and Rolling Stone US, By Helmut Newton
and Herb Ritts.

cs1fn.jpg

Cindy owns 16 Vogue US Covers, Claudia Schiffer 15 US Vogue Covers.

dear Lady GRAY, have you understood what a Supermodel is?

well, now show me every Marija Vogue and Rolling Stone cover, I wanna see her impact. :P :P :P :D :D :D :D

http://img148.echo.cx/img148/4613/cc5jw.jpg

softgrey said:
haha...andora...

actually..i think the reason why we don't have models on the covers of magazinesw these days...is because the 'little girls' of today can't sell a magazine the way these girls could...the only one that can ..is gisele...and that's because she is more 'womanly'...

it's odd...

yep, I adore her, she was a magnificent model, especially on runway, Yasmeen and Naomi had the best catwalk at that time.

those are some nice covers jhb...
i especially like 'cindy on the halfshell'...:lol:

just a few more of the beautiful yasmeen...:heart:

Attachments

• yasmeenversace.jpg
    yasmeenversace.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 43
  • yasmeenlegs.jpg
    yasmeenlegs.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 24
  • yasmeennude.jpg
    yasmeennude.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 17
  • yasmeenwbrace.jpg
    yasmeenwbrace.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 32
softgrey said:
haha...andora...

it's odd...

OMG I loved Yaseem.. What an exotic beauty! My daughter was almost named after her!
I wonder whatever happened to her?

softgrey said:
haha...andora...

it's odd...

How can I?

I was interested in fashion when I saw a runway shot of Yasmeen Ghauri in a Christian Lacroix frock.....I saw pure beauty. I said to myself, wow, I didn't know God was so unfair to create this being in Perfection. The Face, and the Hour-glass figure did it for me........I beg and beg for my sister to grab me a copy of Vogue in our town's K-mart and I was obssessed!!!

I also remember when I got my first Cosmopolitan Magazine. May 1993. My sister and I had a Big Fight. I was saving money for the magazine and I like Cosmo because they Always put Vava-voom Supermodels on the Cover (Cindy, Linda, Christy and Claudia are regulars) and have mini-interviews of them inside. I went inside the store and and was soo embarassed ( I'm a lil' 12 year ol' boy) to pay for it at the cash register with a Fat lady Cashie with an inquiring evil stare, So I grab GQ instead (at least it has Helena Christensen Kenar ad).
So I beg and beg for my sister to pick me up a copy, and She did. And Hell broke loose. I demanded a refund!!! I expected Glamorous Amazonian Supermodel on the cover, Cindy, Paulina or Niki........instead I got this flat-chested bony model in pink tops and bottoms, she looks like a 13 year old kid acting/made grown up. Me and my sister fought and fought all day! My hard-earned cash (selling lemonade) went to drain. Now I'm stiuck with GQ ( yuck ) and a Pink Cosmopolitan.......

It has Kate Moss on the cover. KATE MOSS then, went to changed the modelling industry's idea and perception of Beauty.

PussyLee said:
How can I?

I was interested in fashion when I saw a runway shot of Yasmeen Ghauri in a Christian Lacroix frock.....I saw pure beauty. I said to myself, wow, I didn't know God was so unfair to create this being in Perfection. The Face, and the Hour-glass figure did it for me........I beg and beg for my sister to grab me a copy of Vogue in our town's K-mart and I was obssessed!!!

I also remember when I got my first Cosmopolitan Magazine. May 1993. My sister and I had a Big Fight. I was saving money for the magazine and I like Cosmo because they Always put Vava-voom Supermodels on the Cover (Cindy, Linda, Christy and Claudia are regulars) and have mini-interviews of them inside. I went inside the store and and was soo embarassed ( I'm a lil' 12 year ol' boy) to pay for it at the cash register with a Fat lady Cashie with an inquiring evil stare, So I grab GQ instead (at least it has Helena Christensen Kenar ad).
So I beg and beg for my sister to pick me up a copy, and She did. And Hell broke loose. I demanded a refund!!! I expected Glamorous Amazonian Supermodel on the cover, Cindy, Paulina or Niki........instead I got this flat-chested bony model in pink tops and bottoms, she looks like a 13 year old kid acting/made grown up. Me and my sister fought and fought all day! My hard-earned cash (selling lemonade) went to drain. Now I'm stiuck with GQ ( yuck ) and a Pink Cosmopolitan.......

It has Kate Moss on the cover. KATE MOSS then, went to changed the modelling industry's idea and perception of Beauty.

thank you PussyLee for sharing your story with us. :flower: :wink:

softgrey said:
actually..i think the reason why we don't have models on the covers of magazines these days...is because the 'little girls' of today can't sell a magazine the way these girls could...the only one that can ..is gisele...and that's because she is more 'womanly'...

i totally agree with you softie...i don't care how old gemma is, she looks like a little girl.

i also think the supes from the 80/90s had much more personality and individuality, which is evident in their photos and how many things they did outside of fashion: cindy/shalom/amber on house of style, commercials, other magazine covers etc. could you imagine daria, maria carla or anja hosting a show?

Just a reminder to LADYGREY that this is a thread tributing 90s supermodels. If you have no interest in them and think that they're bland... then why are you even perusing this thread? Marija and the newer generation of models have their own threads... go celebrate their beauty there.

tatiana patitz... :heart:

Attachments

• tatianapatitz.jpg
    tatianapatitz.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
  • tatianap.jpg
    tatianap.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 41
That shot of Tatiana in the shades is gorge!!!

Some of my fave 90's models...

Amber
0021.JMH

Kate
00004.L.JPG

Carolyn
00013.L.JPG

Stella
00161.L.JPG

there are others, but they all remind me of my childhood and when I first started seeing images of fashion. I guess that's why I'm kind of partial to the heroin chic look.

Last edited by a moderator:
found a fabulous site with a s**tload of 90's models pics.....

tutu097.jpg

group26.jpg

tennant15.jpg

evang17.jpg

all photos: Zothike.com

Attachments

• group30.jpg
    group30.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 93
  • group82.jpg
    group82.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 116
  • grenv13.jpg
    grenv13.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 26
  • HELENA21.jpg
    HELENA21.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 50
  • murphy07.jpg
    murphy07.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 26
  • nadia03.jpg
    nadia03.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 21
  • shalom36.jpg
    shalom36.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 80
wow!, I Love thise picture, my fav girls, Christy, Linda, Naomi, Claudia, Shalom
Nadja, Carla and Nadege!, what's happened with her?, Is she still married with Tiziano Magni?

Who's the girl with white dress?, Kirsty Hume?

http://www.zothike.com/zothike3/group26.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->