Alber Elbaz - Designer

I already feel sorry for fashionista-ta, this might force you to buy his entire last collection? :wink:

Good thing for him, lanvin has indeed gotten quite stale lately. Silhouettes are the more or less same and even the runway lighting is the same old dark, smoky, smoldering look. Not that he is not talented but it does gives the vibes that he is tired.
And I absolutely agree with alber that lanvin needs to pump in more investments. It does feel like it is in a world of its own sometimes and is incoherent with what the major fashion houses are doing, and whilst I rather dislike the entire LVMH/ Kering cookie cutter way of promoting their brands, lanvin's isn't doing it effectively.
And I disagree that it isn't expensive, I often feel lanvin is overpriced, especially the men's, but that could be because they don't have the economies of scale with production, promotion etc.

Not such a bad move, lanvin needs fresh blood and Alber needs greener pastures!

As much good as he's done for Lanvin, his collections the last few years have gotten repetitive and stale. I think this is a good move for both.

What ?? Certainly didn't see this coming.
I would love to see him at Dior and Pilati at Lanvin. Now let's wait & see...

Lanvin was really great with clothes. One of the few big fashion house where the clothes weren't outrageously expensive.

cannot agree with this, there’s so much of the rtw that is on sale at the end cause the prices are double what they should be.

WWD said Alber officially left the house, confirmed by Lanvin.

We all love the guessing game... However, it can very well be that Alber and Raf won't be taking any new responsibilities for now. Why would Alber go to Dior if his speech at the ceremony highlights what he would be eventually doing at a house like Dior...at even quicker pace than at Lanvin!

what if Raf is going to Lanvin?

I hope Alber returns soon, sad to see him go. Lanvin hasn't been exciting for a few seasons now, so maybe he needed a shake up.

Alber has been complaining about the too fast pace of fashion so I don't think that he'll go to Dior.

I actually think that Lanvin is where Olivier T needs to end up.

Alber @ YSL! Screw Hedi & his endless parade of musical nobodies.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this can't be happening. :(

But with all these open spots, surely Olivier Theyskens will be able to nab one. And wishful thinking, but Stefano Pilati too.

Alber said no to Dior when Galliano was fired. He said he had so much respect for Shay Lan Wang to leave Lanvin in the lurch, so I doubt he will move to Dior. It would feel... wrong.

And I think he's another 'burned designer'. He used to be my fave in 2007, 2008, 2009, but he is too old I guess to offer something new and relevant again. I can't imagine him in the house for more than five years.

I'm not happy about it nor sad. It was about time. Lanvin shows were simply tiring and barren as of late. So nice he's moving on.

Again, with this we can see that the fashion world is crearly in a big, big, big crisis.

BTW, I was just thinking that there's no important fashion house with the same designer it had ten years ago: Vuitton, Dior, YSL, Lanvin, Balenciaga, Gucci, Céline, Valentino and many more... It's simply incredible.

This talk about burnt out designers is ridiculous. These designers have teams working for them, they have support. And the bigger the the company the more support. And that's not to mention they are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do these jobs.

Alber left Lanvin because he thought the owners weren't managing the business properly. He's probably more business oriented than their execs. And he probably left to go and take on a bigger and better, and more stressful job.

This talk about burnt out designers is ridiculous. These designers have teams working for them, they have support. And the bigger the the company the more support. And that's not to mention they are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do these jobs.

What is the relation between running out of ideas creatively (being burnt as a designer) and having a huge team behind? :blink: Both things coexist. In fact, they always coexist, because every house has a huge team and many houses have a burnt designer who is no longer relevant.

Explain... Cause that would mean that having a huge team will make you fresh, relevant and full of ideas no matter what, while the reality is that a fashion brand has to have a great leader for that. And Alber's time as a relevant designer is long gone. I can't even remember the last time he did something fresh.

He did SO MUCH for Lanvin!! Sad to see him leave, but he will most likely still end up at Dior or Givenchy! He is FAR from burned out :rolleyes: the man has pure talent, and so much more to give. Excited for his future!

If Albert goes to Dior (and Haider to Lanvin!!), I'm happy, otherwise I'm heartbroken :(

Here are the reasons...

PARIS, France — Alber Elbaz is stepping down from his position as the creative director of Lanvin after 14 years in the job, a spokesperson for the label has confirmed to BoF. The Israeli designer, who joined the brand in 2001, was responsible for transforming the once-ailing French couture house into a well-developed, global luxury label with his playful and feminine designs.

The break between Elbaz and the brand is said to have followed disagreements between the designer and Lanvin’s owner Shaw-Lan Wang and chief executive Michèle Huiban, though minutes after this report was published, the brand’s official Instagram account posted an image of the designer with actress Meryl Streep at Fashion Group International's Night of Stars with the caption: “We love you Alber!"

Lanvin employees were summoned to a company-wide meeting in Paris this afternoon to discuss the news, while members of Elbaz’s design team were informed of the decision earlier this morning.

It is widely reported that Elbaz has a stake of 10 percent or greater in Lanvin, which has no doubt played a role in keeping the designer at the house for 14 years. But the report of Elbaz’s departure casts doubt as to whether this was enough to retain him.

In 2014, Lanvin had estimated revenues of 250 million euros (about $321 million) but the brand’s once-rapid growth has slowed and it is widely believed that the label needs additional support — such as that offered by a major luxury group — to take the business to the next level. However, market sources say owner Shaw-Lan Wang is demanding too high a price, which may have frustrated Elbaz.

Nonetheless, Elbaz will surely receive a significant payout from Lanvin, echoing Nicholas Ghesquière's departure from Balenciaga in 2012. Ghesquière received $42.3 million for the sale of his 10 percent stake in the business.

Elbaz’s exit from Lanvin places him in prime position for the post of artistic director of Dior, left open by the departure of Raf Simons last week.

Update 7:00 pm GMT on 28 October, 2015:

It has just emerged that Alber Elbaz was fired from his position as creative director of Lanvin in what the designer called "the decision of the company's majority shareholder," referring to Lanvin’s owner Shaw-Lan Wang.

In a statement signed by the designer, Elbaz writes: "At this time of my departure from Lanvin on the decision of the company's majority shareholder, I wish to express my gratitude and war thoughts to all those who have worked with me passionately on the revival of Lanvin over the last 14 years; express my affection...
businessoffashion.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->