Alexander McQueen biopic in the works, Jack O'Connell confirmed.

Benn98

Reaction score
Jack O'Connell to Play Alexander McQueen in Biopic

5:45 AM PDT 10/25/2016 by Alex Ritman

Andrew Haigh is set to direct the film about the late fashion icon, with principal photography to begin in January.

The hotly anticipated Alexander McQueen biopic has found its leading man.

Jack O'Connell (Unbroken, '71) has been cast as the late fashion designer in the untitled film to be directed by Andrew Haigh (Weekend, 45 Years) with Pathe producing.

The script is written by Chris Urch, the award-winning playwright of The Rolling Stone and Land of Our Fathers, and based on the biography Blood Beneath the Skin by Andrew Wilson. The film will explore the creative process of McQueen — who passed away in 2010 — in the months leading up to one of his greatest shows in 2009, providing an intimate portrait of the man behind the global brand.

Damian Jones (The Iron Lady, Belle, Lady in the Van) is producing, with principal photography set to start in January for delivery at the end of 2017.

Pathe will distribute the film in the U.K., France and Switzerland and will handle sales throughout the rest of the world, introducing the film to buyers at this year's AFM.

Haigh, who saw 45 Years pick up awards in Berlin in 2015 and earn an Oscar nomination for Charlotte Rampling this year, recently wrapped Lean on Pete and is teaming with See-Saw Films and the BBC on a new drama series.

But more importantly, who will play Isabella Blow.....I personally would like to see Sally Hawkins or Parker Posey.

Article source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-oconnell-play-alexander-mcqueen-biopic-940996

I think Helena Bonham Carter would be a brilliant Isabella Blow.

Thanks, Benn.

So this is thankfully a big production project. Hopefully it will at least have the expensive production-value of the 2 Saint Laurent films, and not anywhere remotely close to that Lifetime discount production of Donatella Versace LOOOL

No! God, don't give her any ideas! I would prefer a legitimate actress in this role. And YES to HBC!!

Re that Versace biopic, :lol:, it was a Lifetime venture, after all. That's like scraping the bottom of the barrel. Won't lie, Gina Gershon was a caricature delight though. :smile:

She does look a lot like Blow LOL... But please keep her level of theatre-kid obnoxiousness and camp far far far away from this production.

I wonder if O'Donnell will gain a noticeable amount of weight in this role?

Thanks, Benn.

So this is thankfully a big production project. Hopefully it will at least have the expensive production-value of the 2 Saint Laurent films, and not anywhere remotely close to that Lifetime discount production of Donatella Versace LOOOL
Yes! Thankfully! Let's hope they bring on some consultants to lend some legitimacy to the production and design of the picture.

Hollywood has a hard time with full length feature fashion films...very rarely does it get it right. In fact, one of the only times I feel like Hollywood actually captured some kind of reality and - in a twisted kind of way - respect for the industry was "The Devil Wears Prada." It was over the top, yes, but, in big part due to Meryl's performance, I never have felt that it belittled the industry and those who are actually involved in it.

You mentioned, Phuel, the two French YSL films...I will say, though....the Pierre Niney was far inferior, in my opinion, and it's because it felt so made by a studio that didn't have a real care to understand the fashion industry and the creative fashion mentality. The Gaspard Ulliel version was far more in line with how fashion folk think, operate, see things, behave, etc...it was so much more immersive because it was done in such a way that seemed to capture the creative process of the designer and his perspective and the tendency creative fashion people have to glamorize reality and it was not just a Wikipedia biopic.

This particular film, because of its subject matter, will need to be incredibly sensitive and...I don't know how best to describe it aside from..."high end." I am not expecting the infamous gay extravaganza of Lifetime's "House of Versace," but I am apprehensive that it will miss the point, cheapen and underestimate McQueen's genius, creativity and more than anything, his dark side.

The actor playing Lee looks like a great casting choice, but again, I remain apprehensive of the whole production. I would hate to see the leads turn their subjects into caricatures. Curious as to who will play Isabella. There are obvious choices out there - someone like HBC...but I almost would prefer to see an actress like Kate Dickie take on the role...she has the same kind of strangely magnetic and fascinating physical unattractiveness that Isabella possessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I just hope this film has the substantial production of films like A Single Man and Yves Saint Laurent; whether you’re a fan of thee films is a matter of personal preference. But there’s no denying just how visually sumptuous these films look— capturing the luxury and style of an era and lifestyle that the best of high fashion vision only can. Oftentimes, feature films on high fashion and fashion designers tend to camp up the caricature meter so that high fashion is either a drag gala, Tyra’s ANTM, Project Runway or a Victoria’s Secret show. All of which I find cheap-looking and kind of offensive since everyone is reduced to nitwits or bitchy queens. And the sad truth of that is: People starting out— and even in the industry, often perpetuate.

McQueen was anything but a caricature of a fashion persona. And his life would still be interesting even if the fashion element was taken out, and replaced with another component— whether it be as an academic, or an athlete… His sheer force of will really cemented his unique persona as an icon. The fashion element just adds that spectacular, otherworldly visual cue. That’s what makes his life story so powerful and worth telling. So please tell it well, and definitely with the best visuals, and talents that he deserves. And that means don’t let gaga anywhere near it.

Can you imagine the pure visual bliss of this project if Tom Ford were to direct it…???

awwww give Gaga a chance!

Never. The phoney's had more chances than anyone else in the history of Pop, and every single time, she rips off everyone and tries to get away with it as her own. Just how vile, calculated she is in ripping off young designers and creative types is well known in certain circles— all the while presenting herself as a supporter of them to the general public and her gullible fans. She doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near genuine creativity and sophistication. If I’m being generous, her exterior presentation is a matter of taste... But her real person— how she treats and exploits others for her own gains, makes her pure trash. She’s an awful human being.

^^Completely agree...on all points, including Gaga.

I'll admit I'm apprehensive about the director choice for this particular subject matter. I certainly have watched - and enjoyed - "Looking," but it was so decidedly anti-fashion, as was "Weekend," that I'm concerned the same director who dressed his casts in what looked like American Apparel via Buffalo Exchange, will be able to understand, appreciate and evoke the particular level of high fashion McQueen and Isabella, Philip, Katy and Shaun were all creating.

I truly, truly hope that those who were close to McQueen (and potentially even the McQueen brand itself) approve of this film and will lend archival costumes, hats, shoes, etc. to the production. Otherwise, I'm already cringing at the image of a cheap Philip Treacy knock-off feathered hat on whoever ends up playing Izzy - like these stage productions. Eek!
Erin-Joy-Schmidt-as-Isabella-Blow-in-Blow-Me.jpg

(ultravie.co.uk)

^^^ OMG... the dollar-store feather party hat!

^^UGH! I know! It's so clueless, embarrassing and, quite frankly, disrespectful! Aesthetically and on principal! Lee had flat out said flat out in interviews he HATED the theater!

It just goes to show you how misunderstood he actually is by the general public who only associate him with Gaga and armadillo shoes. Pathetic!

While you can't doubt how much Gaga and Blow look similar, I don't think she'd be the best choice for the role...mainly because the directors/producers probably want people to take the movie seriously and although she's not a terrible actress I don't think her acting skill for this role would be ideal.

With a little bit of facial prosthetics here and there I'd say someone like Felicity Jones would make a good Isabella Blow in my opinion.

Never. The phoney's had more chances than anyone else in the history of Pop, and every single time, she rips off everyone and tries to get away with it as her own. Just how vile, calculated she is in ripping off young designers and creative types is well known in certain circles— all the while presenting herself as a supporter of them to the general public and her gullible fans. She doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near genuine creativity and sophistication. If I’m being generous, her exterior presentation is a matter of taste... But her real person— how she treats and exploits others for her own gains, makes her pure trash. She’s an awful human being.

hahahahaha tell us how you really feel! I'm not her biggest fan either. none of this "yaaasssss Gaga" from me. But I think she can give this role some legs, I really do. I imagine it'll like John Lithgow's performance of Wiinston Churchhill in Netflix's The Crown. unexpected but it works.

^^^ John Lithgow is a strong talented actor who can genuinely bring a creepy, unnerving intensity to one villainous role— then play the hilarious and totally charming goof for the next. She is not. And to show how fair I am towards her, she is a theatre-kid level competent “actor”. But… would you want to see a theatre-kid playing Blow in a (hopefully) expensive feature-film production?

Personal preference of her pop work and her colossal hypocrisy aside, I just feel everything she touches— even when she’s genuinely enjoyable, like when she’s in the Tom Ford video, always cheapens, camps up, rips off someone. It’s always such a drag performance with her. She’s had several years to evolve, and I just don’t think she has at all: She’s always that cheap and annoying, charmless ModelMayhem person that’s copying everything and everyone.

^ LOL ModelMayhem!!

I don't think they'll cast Gaga. Having Andrew Haigh direct and casting Jack O'Connell as the lead tells me the powers that be are pushing towards the prestige Oscar bait side of film making.

^ LOL ModelMayhem!!

I don't think they'll cast Gaga. Having Andrew Haigh direct and casting Jack O'Connell as the lead tells me the powers that be are pushing towards the prestige Oscar bait side of film making.

I agree with you. Based on the people involved, it sounds like they're not trying to go the "camp" route, but rather a prestige picture route. There's no room for the likes of Gaga on this train. Thankfully.

hmm...this won't be pretty...no matter what...
it's not a nice story, on any level...

only the work is beautiful...
only the work...

:ermm:

45 years is a thoughtful and lovely film; if it could follow in that vein then maybe... but it worries me too. biopics are always dangerous territory imo.

hmm...this won't be pretty...no matter what...
it's not a nice story, on any level...

only the work is beautiful...
only the work...

:ermm:

If you want a 'nice' story maybe you should opt for one of the endless retellings of Coco Chanel's life. :lol: I mean I'm sorry, but isn't the person responsible for a beautiful dress as intriguing as the dress itself? It's such an antiquated way of compartmentalising the art and the artist.
Anyway, in most cases, be it art, fashion, or even literature, the most beautiful creations almost always came from a place of appalling wretchedness. And that's what I'm actually looking forward to. Something which will unveil a little more of the man behind those haunting creations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->