Alexander McQueen S/S 2003 Paris

I wonder if the dress on Kim really is the one Debra had. Could it be that Debra just borrowed the runway sample and this dress on Kim is some kind of retail version? Because Kim’s dress looks like it has gone through some heavy modification. Googling photos of Debra one can see the shape and volume of the hem is totally different from Kim’s, plus the shoulder detail has been watered down and the shredding over the torso has been removed. Maybe they took material from the hem to add it on the hip to make it fit Kim’s curves?

That's what I read in an article (can't remember where but must have been a Hollywood Reporter type of thing so yeah not the most reliable source). Looking closely, yeah you're right Debra's version retains all the runway details (fringes on straps and bodice, hem details and shape). All of that is missing from Kim's version but it could be due to her team's alterations so you can see more of her body. It was purchased from a vintage dealer in LA.

I think the dress Debra wore is the runway sample (the VH1 awards were held mid October - just ten days after the McQueen show - and her dress bears an uncanny resemblance to the runway one) and the dress Kim has on is the one that was used for editorials. Here is Natalia wearing what I believe is the same dress as the one on Kim - notice the spaghetti strap and less "seafoam" across the bustier:

peterlindbergh.com

Also, Kim's dress has definitely been altered to her shape and it is possible that some of the shreds have been resewn elsewhere. And when you tamper with such a dress that is nearly twenty years old, some of it is bound to fall apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->