Alexander McQueen S/S 2003 Paris

I have all McQueen collections in firstview size

If you need them, I can show ypu the link

OMG! I've been looking all over the web .. at the end of this show, Lee has this white suit and SOMEWHERE i saw a pic of him sticking his tongue out at the final vow but I cant find it!

I'll be forever grateful if someone could post it!!! <3

Kim wore dress from this collection to Oscars after party. I have to admit she looked amazing.

kim-kardashian-t.jpg

hello magazine

My reaction was like 'wait do I recognize tha--, mcqqq--- but that looks repulsive, no, it can't be...'.

What's amazing to me is how stubborn taste can be in front of money.. it just won't give in so easily no matter the amount of acrobatics and how you try to expand purchase power into more restrictive areas like opera, religion, etc just to legitimize your status. The poses, the way of carrying herself, the dress, the makeup, the hair, the surgeries.. it ultimately reduces it to nothing but a Badgley Mischka leftover from 2006.

^^^ She’s Vegas Cher-ified such a gorgeous piece and turned it into Bob Mackie.

(I had an employer who always wore McQueen to events and parties. But the way he wore it with furs and jewelry always turned him into Liberace… That’s what this reminds me of: Lots and lots and lots of money but absolutely no style.)

Apparently there only two of this dress ever produced. One is the runway sample that’s been exhibited at the Met, V&A etc. and the other was made for Debra Messing to wear at VH1/Vogue fashion awards. Debra’s is the one Kim is wearing (I was horrified at the idea of her chopping up the runway sample). Kim looks like a drag version of Cher (she tried it with that runway makeup and hair but yeah no) and Debra looks like a prom queen. Such a gorgeous dress but so difficult to do it justice.
54a9366ae3a13c3c5f9191dfde9c6df8--debra-messing-red-carpet.jpg
pinterest.com

^ well they kind of butcher it.. 10% of the reason why it looks so cheap too I guess.. by getting rid of structure on top, removing the waist details so we know it'snotjustimplantsbutalsoalipo there's a waist too, and then keeping that spaghetti strap only, it's just another top that's a bit vulgar but that the Kardashians can fit into (besides spandex).

Runway closeup just for reference..

Alexander+McQueen+Spring+2003+dKBJ2aeETDux.jpg
[livingly]

**** Edited ****

In my opinion she looks fine and she actually did this dress justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited: . In my opinion she looks fine and she actually did this dress justice.

*** Edited***. They are dramatic because this dress and collection itself is highly regarded and for most brings a feeling of nostalgia and emotion. The magic of the dress is lost on her.

I think Kim looks pretty, as she often does. She is trying and even went for the "wet" hair.

But if you told someone this was Pnina Tornai, they would be none the wiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, a huge McQueen fan here and I thought Kim's look was magnificent! And with great timing, considering it's been 10 years since he died yesterday. I'm always happy to see vintage designer pieces on celebrities, it's much more interesting than overused Guccis and Valentinos or Versaces. Cause most of the celebrities tend to wear the same predictable and safe dresses nowadays.
This dress wasn't a safe choice, and I think Kim looked amazing. You can't expect her (or anyone for that matter) to do the dress 'justice'. It's the kind of fashion that no longer exists, the type whose magic requires a dramatic presentation that celebrities don't do on the red carpet which really makes it hard for anyone to make it look as good as it did on runway. So naturally, it ends up looking cheap - just like the Dior dress she wore recently. It's a more commercial version of the look, but it's still really great to see that someone's desings are still relevant and beautiful nonetheless after almost 20 years.

I am a lot more okay with Kim than many on this forum but I felt like the sole reason for doing this around the 10th anniversary of Lee's passing was for her to insert herself in the narrative; not to pay an honest homage, and for that I just can't bring myself to like the look. I'm cool with bringing back vintage pieces but some things should be left in the past.

Instead of talking about Kim's outfit, let's just reminisce over this majestic collection as a whole instead..

livingly

I wonder if the dress on Kim really is the one Debra had. Could it be that Debra just borrowed the runway sample and this dress on Kim is some kind of retail version? Because Kim’s dress looks like it has gone through some heavy modification. Googling photos of Debra one can see the shape and volume of the hem is totally different from Kim’s, plus the shoulder detail has been watered down and the shredding over the torso has been removed. Maybe they took material from the hem to add it on the hip to make it fit Kim’s curves?

Then again, whatever.

It would sure be interesting if one could get behind the scenes to see how much work (and destroying) goes into these things with celebrities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->