All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

I know @ Nordstorms (esp Junior dept) sales associate introduce themselves to the customers when they get u a fitting room.. but a lot of people (like me) are not good with remembering names ~ so that sucks when they purchase and they tend to say, no one was helping them. what you can do is (i donno if u already do) wear a name tag and frequently come to the fitting room to see how they are doing.. and at those times remind them ur name. I think that helps!! cuz i had sales person do that do me and i remember their name.. and as long as they are not pushy and annoying I will put my purchase on their name!!!

i've also visited one Nordstrom location that in each fitting room there are a little white board that which is for sales associate to write their names when they help the customer in a fitting room. therefore the customers know who to call when they need a different size, that's also a good way for them to remember your name. if you have a good relationship with your manager, you can also suggest this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
BetteT said:
I agree that retail is good for honing your people skills ... that you learn a lot about people by selling. That can't hurt a bit ... any good life experience is helpful in almost all careers. But it doesn't qualify you for jobs in other areas of fashion.

I still maintain that you need a lot of other things going for you and the most important of all is contacts ... which means you should work where the people, who already do what you eventually want to do, work ... at the magazine, at the fashion house, at the P.R. firm, the ad agency, not at the retail store.

Marketing and advertisng don't usually have you in contact with the customer anyway ... you are dealing with concepts, research, budgets, media, copywriters, art directors and everything else behind the scenes to produce the right product and then to publicize it. You create the demand for the product and motivate customers to visit the stores.

Then, the salesperson must sell it to whoever walks in and they can only sell what they have been given to sell ... the store inventory.

Selling is all about qualifying (asking questions to find out who is a serious buyer and what the budget is), your presentation of your product (promoting benefits not features) and knowing how and when to close the sale (when the buyer gives you buying signals), and knowing how to kick it up and cross sell other products on top of what the customer just bought. As a successful saleperson, you can take those skills into any other industry and you can make a lot of money in the right job .... but you will still be a saleperson.

Could you elaborate on the qualifying, closing, and kicking it up parts please?

BetteT said:
I agree that retail is good for honing your people skills ... that you learn a lot about people by selling. That can't hurt a bit ... any good life experience is helpful in almost all careers. But it doesn't qualify you for jobs in other areas of fashion.

I still maintain that you need a lot of other things going for you and the most important of all is contacts ... which means you should work where the people, who already do what you eventually want to do, work ... at the magazine, at the fashion house, at the P.R. firm, the ad agency, not at the retail store.

Marketing and advertisng don't usually have you in contact with the customer anyway ... you are dealing with concepts, research, budgets, media, copywriters, art directors and everything else behind the scenes to produce the right product and then to publicize it. You create the demand for the product and motivate customers to visit the stores.

Then, the salesperson must sell it to whoever walks in and they can only sell what they have been given to sell ... the store inventory.

Selling is all about qualifying (asking questions to find out who is a serious buyer and what the budget is), your presentation of your product (promoting benefits not features) and knowing how and when to close the sale (when the buyer gives you buying signals), and knowing how to kick it up and cross sell other products on top of what the customer just bought. As a successful saleperson, you can take those skills into any other industry and you can make a lot of money in the right job .... but you will still be a saleperson.

Could you elaborate on the qualifying, closing, and kicking it up parts please?

glamourbebe said:
i've also visited one Nordstrom location that in each fitting room there are a little white board that which is for sales associate to write their names when they help the customer in a fitting room. therefore the customers know who to call when they need a different size, that's also a good way for them to remember your name. if you have a good relationship with your manager, you can also suggest this method.

That sounds like a really good idea! I'll totally suggest that! We don't wear nametags though--because we are not allowed to give our names unless we help them first--because if we just greet them and give them our names and they tell the cashier we helped them, we don't deserve the sale just for greeting them. I wish we had buzzers in the dressing rooms like Vicky's does so it would be easier for customers to let us know when they need a different size.

Has anyone here worked at Neimans before? What is the discount and pay like?

it depends what department you work in, but i've heard of base pays ranging from $6 to $11 or so. i'm not sure what the discount is, but i've never heard especially great things about working there.

iLoveCouture said:
Has anyone here worked at Neimans before? What is the discount and pay like?
I cant imagine it being 6, unless you're janitorial. Id say 12 - 16 I know they do 6 - 10 percent commission (depends which department, shoes having the highest commission) The discount is 20% with the occasional double discount day.

Ive pretty much been offered a position at Neimans. Except they have yet to tell me where it is. They call me every few weeks to say "we will have a position opening up shortly" it's annoying though...

Oh well...Im not concered over Neimans. Onto bigger and better!! Barneys!!

a girl i had geology with worked at neiman's and had for nearly two years and only made $8 an hour. she started out making $6. granted, she made a nice killing with commission, but the numbers were still surprising.

thesiren said:
a girl i had geology with worked at neiman's and had for nearly two years and only made $8 an hour. she started out making $6. granted, she made a nice killing with commission, but the numbers were still surprising.
Which Neimans was it. I find it hard to believe. :shock::shock::shock:

houston.

i want to say she sells perfume.

i'm a saks girl, so i never go down to neiman's/see her, but i'm almost certain she worked in cosmetics.

I interned at Neiman's and got a great discount. It's 30% all the time but we have certain weeks where you get an additional 30% off the discounted price (around 50% total). It was a good job but very cutthroat.

I knew some people that worked in the Tysons Corner NM location but they were always so hush hush about how they were paid.

thesiren...how do you like working at Saks?

oh, no. i don't WORK at saks. i meant i have always shopped at saks. our mall has saks and neiman's in totally seperate buildings, so i never make my way to neiman's unless i'm shopping at somewhere nearby.

i work at banana republic and am moving to forth and towne at the beginning of october. i'm in grad school, make $11/hr and make my own schedule, so i'm a happy camper.

I was called by NM for a job....but I just accepted a job at Saks...staring next week.

I'm hoping the commission is good...........because the pay is pretty low.

I am not going to scan through 11 pages to see if it were answered.
But, Saks gives their employees 30% off all merchandise except for cosmetics which is 20%. Certain times in the year there are extra discounts that cmoe out to 44% and 36%. They used to do a new hire work wardobe discount of 51%; but, they have stopped doing that.

at the charlotte neimans it's 30% discount, 8 an hour and commission vs. base. Not that I work there, but i do know this first hand.

thesiren said:
oh, no. i don't WORK at saks. i meant i have always shopped at saks. our mall has saks and neiman's in totally seperate buildings, so i never make my way to neiman's unless i'm shopping at somewhere nearby.

i work at banana republic and am moving to forth and towne at the beginning of october. i'm in grad school, make $11/hr and make my own schedule, so i'm a happy camper.

Sorry TS, I assumed you worked at Saks! Thanks for the clarification. :flower:

I start Saks on Wed.

But I'm going to be working in Cosmetics. So I'm not sure how the pay is for those in clothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->