All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.

IcePrincess2250 said:
Those ladies really make some of the makeup counters impenetrable for new MAs.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation? Their hostility at the thought of new blood scares me away!!

It really depends on the store that you go to, and what counter.

I would just be as sweet as pie, and stay away from their sales. Dont ever go behind their counter. Stay at your own.

Cosmetics is like a war zone sometimes. You just have to pick your battles in order to win the war.

Just be so sweet, that they become diabetic in your presence!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to be super sweet and not threaten any of their sales -- I don't want their claws to come out!!

I'll be at Tysons...I think you mentioned something about knowing people who work there?

IcePrincess2250 said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll try my best to be super sweet and not threaten any of their sales -- I don't want their claws to come out!!

I'll be at Tysons...I think you mentioned something about knowing people who work there?

Yes!! I know a few.

What store and what counter will you be at??? If you don't mind telling me.

i'm thinking of applying to be a sales associate at neiman marcus or saks...maybe even barneys co-op..i only worked at one store in high school..but i do have a B.A.

Am I wasting my time or is there a chance for me?

btw.im moving back to the DC area..

Interview at Neimans tomorrow, I would kill* for this job!!

*I would, don't tempt me

Which Neiman's? Garden State Plaza or Short Hills? I could go visit :P

Foxie-Pooh said:
Which Neiman's? Garden State Plaza or Short Hills? I could go visit :P
Short Hills! Im prepping, Im gonna be immaculately coiffed tomorrow...

ON THE BALL...

Do you work and/or live around there, Foxie?

Last edited by a moderator:
For Neiman's I doubt it matters if you have a degree, the way retail is now a days, there are tons of college grads working in retail, esp. in higher end retail. They want high end experience, and will as you questions such as "What is a situation where you have been forced to make a quick decision and what did it turn out?" and "have you ever had a bad experience with a co-worker?". i would apply, there is the off chance they would fall in love with you, but they want high end sales reps with experience. I interviewed and I got a letter of thanks...I have a BA, and 4 yrs exp. in a boutique.

Diorling said:
Short Hills! Im prepping, Im gonna be immaculately coiffed tomorrow...

ON THE BALL...

Do you work and/or live around there, Foxie?

Oh that's cool. I wish you'll get the job! Well, I don't work at Short Hills...I actually work at Menlo Park Mall at the moment since it's much closer to me... but I go there very often. Which department are you going for? Handbags? Shoes? or the designer section on the 3rd floor? I know many SAs from the handbag department and some of them are just...so anyway I hope you get the job :flower:

Burberry

I got the job at Burberry! They are so nice there and were willing to accommodate my school schedule in the fall. She explained that the base is usually 11 or 12 dollars an hour (I don't know the exact amount yet, since she has to speak with another manager) and you get 1 percent commission on everything you sell within your goal. When you go over your goal a certain amount, you get an additional 1.5 percent on top of that and so on, so I think there is decent potential there. It works for me anyway, since this is my first job at a high end store! Also, she told me I'll be given a suit for work and then 2 outfits per season. Nice. ^_^

Now I just have to tell that nice lady at Bloomingdale's who offered a position that I can't take the job. :(

Okay, Im gonan jynx it. They interviewed me for thier Galleria section (basically the couture), they LOVED ME. Im very confident that I got it, but Im still gonna act like I only have the job at Puma...

Im excited, because I get the free stuff from Puma then Ill quit and work at Neimans, if they give it to me...

6% comission on 10 thousand dollar dresses (theres no drooling smiley but thats what Im doing)

Diorling said:
Okay, Im gonan jynx it. They interviewed me for thier Galleria section (basically the couture), they LOVED ME. Im very confident that I got it, but Im still gonna act like I only have the job at Puma...

Im excited, because I get the free stuff from Puma then Ill quit and work at Neimans, if they give it to me...

6% comission on 10 thousand dollar dresses (theres no drooling smiley but thats what Im doing)

wow thats amazing...i wish i could get a job like that...*sigh

I had a question for everyone who is interviewing and works at high end clothing stores and boutiques, what were your first jobs and what kind of experiance do they want for the stores you work at.

Rightguard said:
I had a question for everyone who is interviewing and works at high end clothing stores and boutiques, what were your first jobs and what kind of experiance do they want for the stores you work at.
Where do you work now? I wouldnt recommend wasting your time on Forever 21 and H&M type stores, they're not impressed. JCrew, Club Monaco is better, Id recommend Coach, Bloomingdales, Kate Spade, Diesel, etc. They're more impressed by those names...Ive made leaps and bounds, I dont have time to waste.

My first job was at Lord & Taylor, I was there very briefly then BCBG (VERY briefly) then Coach...So ya. I find Coach to be very good experience, I was shocked, but people think it's high end, so that's what really matters. Now Im at Puma with the possibility of being a Neimans, Id drop Puma in a heartbeat (only after getting my free loot)

Rightguard said:

My first job was at a Nine West store. After I worked as a secretary for a little while and then I spent a summer working at Macy's. In the past few weeks I've been offered positions at Saks, Bloomingdale's and Burberry. I think in general it is more important to present yourself well; brand names on a resume will only do so much.

For example, I submitted my resume to Saks online and never got a response. I then applied in store, and the lady (who admitted she had passed over my emailed resume) wanted to hire me on the spot.

For a first retail job I would recommend Macy's, Nordstrom or the like, as they are good names and will sometimes hire people without previous experience.

So I have an interview at Bloomingdales on Wednesday. But Im going to also put in applications at Saks and Neimen's.

Good luck Diorling and everyone else that is job seeking.

MarlaLP, color me jealous...Three prestigious names pining after you!!

Oye, Im putting in an app at the Dior in Saks in Riverside Mall, they're looking for a SA...

Ianastar said:
Yes!! I know a few.

What store and what counter will you be at??? If you don't mind telling me.

Not 100% about which counter yet, but mostly likely at Nordstroms.

I'm staying up in Jersey for a while for my current job, and Short Hills has become my mecca.

I'll let you know what happens after I get back and interview!!

IcePrincess2250 said:
Not 100% about which counter yet, but mostly likely at Nordstroms.

I'm staying up in Jersey for a while for my current job, and Short Hills has become my mecca.

I'll let you know what happens after I get back and interview!!

Please do!!

My friend worked at Neimen Marcus in Tyson's Galleria for Nars and Prada. The last few times I went in, she was not there, and the Prada section is gone. So Im not sure if she's still there.

I lost her number.

I know a few people who work in cosmetics at Nordstroms though. And I know the Fragrance Manager.........his name is Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annejudy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->